Help help. Son interested in yote hunting and I’m clueless. Is this worth getting into?

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
My sons first year deer hunting was this year. He is 11 and has shown interest in coyote hunting at night in the winter when there’s nothing else to do. I don’t mind spending alittle money to get him the equipment he needs but I’m completely clueless here. I assume electronic calls are the best but not sure what kind and if we need thermal vision or what is actually needed to start this endeavor.
Also a big concern is success rate of this activity. Is this something where you hunt 15 evenings after dark and shoot or see 1 coyote or is the success rate with the proper set up frequent? I will take any expert advice and get the equipment needed. Thank ya!!

billc

My sons first year deer hunting was this year. He is 11 and has shown interest in coyote hunting at night in the winter when there’s nothing else to do. I don’t mind spending alittle money to get him the equipment he needs but I’m completely clueless here. I assume electronic calls are the best but not sure what kind and if we need thermal vision or what is actually needed to start this endeavor.
Also a big concern is success rate of this activity. Is this something where you hunt 15 evenings after dark and shoot or see 1 coyote or is the success rate with the proper set up frequent? I will take any expert advice and get the equipment needed. Thank ya!!
Go Thermal. Look at Pulsar Trail. Many You Tubes out there. Animals really stand out. Night Vision at a minimum. Daytime yote hunting is tough. Can't go wrong with Foxpro callers. Shockwave and Fusion are excellent, come with great set of free sounds. Read the posts in Coyote Hunt Threads 2019.

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
Thank you two. I have access to a lot of different properties. 950 acres 60 acres 40 acres 500 acres and 1350 acres. I see a lot of people going at night. What is the success rate jumping properties and going right at dark? Is this a hard task or is success rate high? I will read the 2019 thread thanks

baddave

just keep watching your thread here . there's a lot of guys here that really know their stuff. may could even talk and pick their brains. i've tried it a good bit but only 1st and last light w/ any success. i have figured out that if you can get close undetected you have a very decent chance at calling them in . close means maybe 100 yds , depending on a lot of things.. i have a foxpro wildfire . has held up great for about 3-4 years. success rate ? not good but i'm learning.

geebler

Since you will be starting from scratch be prepared to open the wallet WIDE, equipment to night hunt is expensive.
As stated previously success is much more frequent if you have fresh properties to bounce around too. Although, it isn't purely about 'acreage', you need open areas (cow pastures, power lines, gas lines, or big ag. fields are ideal) to hunt at night.
I usually have good luck at hearing and seeing coyotes; sealing the deal is a different story. Probably average a kill every 2-4 nights (normally 2 sets each night) depending on the weather and the time of year.
What part of Georgia are you in? I've only been going a few years, but you could tag along one night and check it out if you are close enough to the Newnan area.

Big7

The Oracle
Depending on how far south you are, some farmer's will let you "yote only" hunt during calf season.

chase870

Possum Sox
I started yote hunting years ago during daylight and hand calls. It will be a learning process for him and you. You are hunting one of the smartest predators on the planet, so go slow the trial and error portion of this type of hunting is never ending. They can be killed during the day its easier for you to show the youngster tracks scat and terrain features and learn some basics about the animal. When I started with night vision it was a old ANPVS 2 starlight scope on a M14 and soon moved to thermal. The thermal will show you things you would never see in the daylight due to the heat of the animal you can see them at a greater distance and watch how they work. I posted some of my night hunting gear I don't use anymore for sale awhile back and never sold it. Not sure how serious your son is gonna be but it might hook you. I hunt 3 to 4 nights a week some nights its hogs and no yotes. Have fun and learn how to hunt the hunters, its a pretty good feeling to beat a predator at his own game. Also the coyote hunt thread goes back another year or two.

willie1971

they become call shy if you put a lot of pressure on them. you dont need to invest a lot in gear, just a simple ecaller and maybe a rabbit mouth call as back up. calling one close is tough, killing one is tougher

Hillbilly stalker

Lots of things for a young man to do in The wintertime. If the nighttime coyote hunting doesn’t fill the gap.....take him with some rabbit hunters, squirrel hunters with dogs and maybe a little coon hunting. Give him some options to choose from. Most hunters will gladly take you and a youngster. Coyote hunting is a serious venture. The success rate will be lower than it will be with small game. And hey....he can always do both. Good luck

sleepr71

I’ve been at it a long time. Don’t do it much any more due to work,kids,etc( Life as an ADULT?). My advice: Treat Coyotes JUST like you would a Trophy/Mature Buck! You get ONE...maybe two..chances to call one in & kill it.! If it sees,smells,hears you...or..you get excited & MISS it..they are now educated & next time he makes a mistake it won’t be there,or to that call?That’s putting it nicely.ALWAYS try to set up with the Sun & Wind in your favor if it’s daylight. BTW..I LOVE calling right after Daylight & first hour of daylight & last hour of Daylight! Lot of success then & you can see them without lights & $2,000 thermal scopes! Night time is MORE productive..but favors them Going downwind & smelling you first. I try to only hunt big fields & powerlines at night. An Electronic caller,with remote pays off here. Set it up about 75-100 yds UPWIND of you & they usually come close to you..trying to get DOWN WIND of the call? When calling..After walking in..give things a little time to settle down,start LOW..call a little..then wait 2 minutes. Call a little more..just a little louder..for just a few seconds..then wait. Be ready,scanning with your eyes. Only move when they move. Their Noses,Eyesight,and Hearing is simply AMAZING. I guess I’m Cheap...I still do it in Daylight,on Moonlit nights(ESPECIALLY on Sandy,White Dirt roads/logging roads) & it’s easy to spot them coming in. I use a Red Q-Beam,or scope mounted light for longer shots. Start by just using the Halo of the light to catch their eyes..don’t drop the center of the beam on them until time to shoot.! Yotes are very light sensitive and will run away Lickety split if you put a bright light on them. Id let one person take a rifle & one take a Shotgun loaded with BB or #4 Buck. They often come in close..in Fast,and in pairs,or more ?..and it makes for exciting shooting.! Predator calling is honestly my FAVORITE type of hunting,and the most exciting. IF you can get a seasoned hunter to take y’all a time or two...you could probably avoid a lot of rookie mistakes & achieve success quicker. I will say...You won’t call in/kill one EVERY trip...so don’t expect that ?

Yotedawg

Night time hunting is where it’s at. It will also cost you a lot more to have the equipment that will up your odds. I would recommend a Foxpro e-caller that uses a TX1000 remote. The remote is easy to see and read. It makes a difference. I prefer thermal over night vision. This is quite an investment. Pulsar and Flir have some good options in the $3500-$4500 range. That said we have killed 50 coyotes in 2019 using an old ATN Thor thermal and 4k night vision for less money. If money is not an option then Trijicon and N-Vision have excellent choices in the $8k-$9k range. We hunt with tripod setups as most night hunters I know do. My tripod setup works great but quality ballheads are not cheap nor are Reaper grips. Besides equipment you will need a lot of land. A LOT of land. You can not pressure coyotes. They are by far the most intelligent animal I have ever hunted or trapped. They will shut down and not respond to your calls. They become educated very quickly. If you are serious about it, there is a ton of info on a lot of facebook groups out there. Tactics, equipment, etc.....all you need to know and a lot of good guys willing to share what they know. If you are on facebook and would like to private message me, I will get you invited to these groups so you can research all you ever wanted to know about coyote hunting. It is very addictive and it is an adrenaline rush. But there is a learning curve as well figuring out what works for you. Good luck, we need a few more coyote hunters as their numbers are on the rise.