Help me put together an ultra-high-end ultralight combo

ASH556

While power fishing has its place, what I really enjoy is very nice, but very light and sensitive fishing gear. For instance, I've got a 7'6" TFO 3WT with an Orvis BB1 that is probably my favorite rod to throw. It's small enough to make small trout, bass, and panfish enjoyable, and If you get into something larger, you actually have to play the fish a bit. I'd like to put together roughly the equivalent of that in a spinning setup. Based on some initial research, I'm looking at either a St Croix Premier or a G. Loomis in a 5ft UL Moderate. The St Croix is about $100 cheaper, but this is meant to be an "ultimate" type setup, so if it's worth it I'll pay it. For the reel, what I think I really want is a 500 size Shimano Stradic. I have a 2500 size Stradic and love it. However, it looks like the smallest size stradic they make is the 1000 size. I held one at Basspro today and it seemed a little bigger and heavier than I was hoping for.

Anyone else have a similar setup and might offer feedback?

The goal is to use it to throw the smallest of spinners, rapalas, and maybe the occasional jig or something for trout, panfish, and I won't be mad if a bass bites it too.

Thanks!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have the poor man’s version of what you’re setting up. Just my opinion but 5 ft is far to short to get any distance with the smallest lures. I have a 7ft BP Microlite UL paired with a Pflueger President 20 size reel. I really like it. It can cast the smallest lures and baits a reasonable distance. It is my most used rig.

ASH556

I have the poor man’s version of what you’re setting up. Just my opinion but 5 ft is far to short to get any distance with the smallest lures. I have a 7ft BP Microlite UL paired with a Pflueger President 20 size reel. I really like it. It can cast the smallest lures and baits a reasonable distance. It is my most used rig.
I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to think some more on that. One of my current favorite rods is a 5'9" Fenwick with a Stradic 2500. I've not found the length to be a problem. Essentially want to just build an ultralight version of that rod I think, but I tend to think a 6'6" is a long rod (except a fly rod), so maybe I'm just out of touch.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to think some more on that. One of my current favorite rods is a 5'9" Fenwick with a Stradic 2500. I've not found the length to be a problem. Essentially want to just build an ultralight version of that rod I think, but I think a 6'6" is a long rod (except a fly rod).
I actually have two rigs like that. I kayak fish and rig them with different lures and just swap rods when I want try another lure while floating. I use them bank fishing bream and wading for trout as well.

doomtrpr_z71

While power fishing has its place, what I really enjoy is very nice, but very light and sensitive fishing gear. For instance, I've got a 7'6" TFO 3WT with an Orvis BB1 that is probably my favorite rod to throw. It's small enough to make small trout, bass, and panfish enjoyable, and If you get into something larger, you actually have to play the fish a bit. I'd like to put together roughly the equivalent of that in a spinning setup. Based on some initial research, I'm looking at either a St Croix Premier or a G. Loomis in a 5ft UL Moderate. The St Croix is about $100 cheaper, but this is meant to be an "ultimate" type setup, so if it's worth it I'll pay it. For the reel, what I think I really want is a 500 size Shimano Stradic. I have a 2500 size Stradic and love it. However, it looks like the smallest size stradic they make is the 1000 size. I held one at Basspro today and it seemed a little bigger and heavier than I was hoping for.

Anyone else have a similar setup and might offer feedback?

The goal is to use it to throw the smallest of spinners, rapalas, and maybe the occasional jig or something for trout, panfish, and I won't be mad if a bass bites it too.

Thanks!
The Shimano soare is the reel you desire, personally I would have a custom rod built, nfc has a finesse blank similar to what you want but it's a lot longer than what you're looking for. As nice as a st croix premier etc are if it's going to be ultimate, I'd go custom.

35 Whelen

Mine is a St. Croix 6' ultra-lite power fast action Premier PS6OULF2 with a Shimano Symetre 500FJ.

ASH556

I've been reading and watching youtube a bunch on this over the weekend. One of the concerns I saw mentioned in going down to a size 500 reel is line managment. Essentially, the smaller spool diameter can cause tighter line coils off the spool and increase line twist or reduce casting distance.

I currently have a pair of Shimano Sedona 1000's. One is on a Quantum "Xtralite" 2pc UL rod. Pretty much just a cheapie. The other is on a Berkley "Tactix" "Finesse-Dropshot" 6'6" rod. The rod has a nice light tip, but I really prefer a shorter rod for these applications. The path forward may be just to buy a decent rod and use one of these reels. They're maybe not "ultra-high-end" but seem to be well liked in this application paired with something like a TFO or St Croix UL Trout/Panfish rod.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Go custom. "Med" slow speed action for loading the rod with light lures. Med/light weight. Have the builder use fuji reduction train guides. American tackle calls them slim rings or something like that. The ring sizes will remind you of a bait caster style guide system on a spinning rod. They'll outcast any rod you've thrown. 7'6". If you just have to have shorter, a 6'6". MHX blanks are good quality and ecomical.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago I built a 6' ultra light rod on a Mudhole SC72UL blank. It's a moderate action and throws a 1/32 oz Beetlespin a long way with 4 lb mono. It's too light for bass but I did catch a 2.18 lb Alabama last week on it. I'm using an Okuma Ceymar reel. It's not high end stuff but it looks good and catches fish.Bluegill.jpg

ASH556

Well I decided on a TFO 6ft Trout/Panfish Ultralight Rod with a Shimano Stradic 1000 reel. It’s spooled with 2lb Trilene Sensation. I got the opportunity to break it in this evening with a handful of Bass, a handful of Bluegill, and a Redbreast (my favorite panfish). I put together a little micro tackle box to go with this setup to target, trout, panfish, and bass. Waiting on some Mule Jigs and Donkeytail Jr’s for the other side, which should be here Friday.

Man, this setup is just exactly what I wanted. Nice and sensitive, fun to fish, and heirloom quality.

IMG_5252.jpegIMG_5268.jpegIMG_5274.jpegIMG_5262.jpegIMG_5276.jpeg

hopper

I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to think some more on that. One of my current favorite rods is a 5'9" Fenwick with a Stradic 2500. I've not found the length to be a problem. Essentially want to just build an ultralight version of that rod I think, but I tend to think a 6'6" is a long rod (except a fly rod), so maybe I'm just out of touch.
I'm like you. Grew up fishing pond banks around brush and a 5' would allow room to cast. Now my long rods are 6'6 since I mostly fish open water. Really does help with distance. I really like my pflueger reels that @Ruger#3 suggested. Definitely higher end reels out there but I'm happy with them.
Nice looking rig you settled on.

WaltL1

That little black/yellow dot Panther Martin you've got tied on is my absolute favorite spinner.