Here's your chance

Whit90

Is it only Federal land they don't cut or is it State land too? Does the state have land?

Its land up in the mountains that does not get cut. mostly federal land, but there are WMAs up there that need habitat improvement as well.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Is it only Federal land they don't cut or is it State land too? Does the state have land?

Yes the state owns land and the state cuts timber. The state does not have to deal with the USFS in that situation.

There are tracts of USFS (CNF) land that the state leases as WMAs. The state is not allowed to cut timber on the USFS owned land

splatek

UAEC
There are a series of public meetings and hearings, and comment period for the next two year cycle coming up at various locations around the state.
This is also a place where you can at least make suggestions to your local DNR folks...

I've never been to one of these meetings so I am still trying to think about what I could offer, but I know a lot of folks have a lot of good ideas. This might be a time for those of us concerned with things in the mountains get together and make some noise.
I think @Professor was toying with trying to organize mountain hunters earlier in the season, but then he got side tracked by killing monster bucks and bears, ... ;) Maybe there are others that are interested in being heard. I realize this does not bare directly on NF habitat, but also thought it might be useful here.