HME solar panel/battery

rosewood

I was actually looking at that the other day. Seems like the reviews were not that great. I am building another one of my own. My first one was from leftovers so all it cost me was a solar panel. This last one is going to cost me more because I had to order a battery and decided to order a battery box for it this time. I think building my own is better in that it is easier to replace parts on vs an all in one unit like this.

Rosewood

redka

The instructions say solar panel has to be in sunlight. I did not buy it. The other unit with the lead acid battery says to recharge every 3 months for 20 hours. Did not buy it either. Gonna try AA batteries this season. If I can get 4 months from them that will work for me.

rosewood

Once I got the first one built, I have never had to charge it. Been out there over a year. Lots of that panels work fine as long as they can see the sky, doesn't necessarily have to have direct sunlight on it. Now if you have a tree canopy over, it will likely not work very well if at all.

Rosewood

Shane Dockery

I've had one for a year. Without direct sunlight, the battery will drain within 2 months. Quicker if you get a ton of pictures. It does do better later in the season when the leaves are off the trees and it gets more sunlight. Right now, I've had it out for a month getting about 400 pics a month and it's still at 100%. With AA's, I was only getting a week and a half before they were dead.

Basically, it's cheaper than putting in 8 AA's every couple of weeks, but the solar panel doesn't charge good enough in non-direct sunlight like it says it will.

whitter

BANNED
What is the wattage on your panel? We use 10 watt panels and LI batteries. Our panels are adjustable so you can aim to get most of the morning sun so you have a fast recovery on your batteries after a long night. WE had been using the old SLA cells and they worked well also but are very heavy and large in size making it harder to conceal the camera site. We have cams that have been out over a year and still showing 100%.

Tried it. Didn’t work at all for me. Never could get a charge over 50% and died within a day. I had it in partial sun. Very disappointed.

rosewood

Tried it. Didn’t work at all for me. Never could get a charge over 50% and died within a day. I had it in partial sun. Very disappointed.
You didn't start with a charged battery? I think the solar panel is to top off/maintain not full charge. You are straining the system if you are starting below 50% for sure. Lead acid batteries have a longer life if u keep them fully charged. Have u ever put a battery in a car starting at 50%? It should be fully charged before installation.