Winchester xp??

catch22

My main rifle is a 270wsm. After covid, ammo has been hard to find. I was shooting federal fusions but Federal is not actively producing this round (ive talked to them several times and they say its still an active round but they cant/wont give me a time table as to when they plan to manufacture them).

Winchester seems to be the only manufacturer actively making 270wsm. Has anyone tried the XP in any caliber? Im not talking about the copper round.....they make a lead Extreme Point (xp).

Ive looked online and seen several good reviews, but I trust you folks on this site a bunch more :)

flatwoods

I shot some through my Tikka T3.
Shot ok but it didn't like them as well as Remington CoreLokt or Hornady American Whitetail.
Can't speak to performance on an animal.

flatwoods

I also wanted to test Federal but nobody had them. If they can't produce enough to be available, I need to use something else anyway.

Deerhead

I have had the same issue finding 270 wsm ammo. I have always shot the Federal Combined Technology with the Nosler Accubond bullet. This has been my go to for years. Only place I found some was Pendleton ammo. But man that is expensive! So I started reloading. Luckily I saved all my brass and a friend gave me a box of 50. I just found some Nosler Accubond bullets. They are hard to find too. This shortage also convinced me I needed a new 30-06. Ammo is a lot easier to find and cheaper.

Good Luck

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I would shoot any expanding cartridge so long as the box does NOT say Winchester. I promise they’ll never see another of my guns….I got an almost full box of .22 magnums and some longbeard XRs laying around you can have if you come get them.
Sorry, But I haven’t been looking for 270s but I do know Cabela’s had a bunch of ammo lately….a bunch!

Hillbilly stalker

I’ve always been a diehard Corelokt man. My buddy turned me onto the Deer Season XP’s. They shoot the same as my Corelokt did, but I get an exit hole. I shoot them in a .243 and could not be happier.

wm742

Love the deer season xp. That's what we use in my daughters 6.5 creedmoore and my .308. Near, far, where ever they are, the deer die.

I'd use a cor lokt just as quick. Xp's are usually a couple bucks less.

P6smSKC

I shoot .30-06 and have been shooting them for several years now. Tried it after they pushed it on “growingdeer.tv” (not really sure why I fell for the marketing stuff that time to tell ya the truth) and they do blow big holes out the exit side and leave a very clear blood trail when you make a perfect shot.

HOWEVER, I do find they do not usually drop the deer right there even on a perfect shot. In the past when I would shoot one with whatever my dad was hand loading they would drop right there and I would always find the mushroomed bullet right next to the hide on the far side of the deer pretty much intact. After a few years of using the deer season XP I think I’m going to try something else. It may not matter all that much…at the end of the day a dead deer is a dead deer but I prefer them not to run off even if the blood trail is very clear. and I could be wrong but I think it has something to do with the bullet not mushrooming out and holding together but fragmenting on impact instead. Just my thoughts, which could be all wrong and inaccurate.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I use it in 350 Legend, 6.5, and 7mm-08. I’ve only had two deer ever run with any of those rounds and neither had an excellent exit hole and were perfect double lung. That said, neither made it over 75 yards. All of the others were stone dead before they hit the ground. That round absolutely turns the vitals into mush.

HughW2

I feel your pain brother! .270 WSM is really tough to find these days. I don’t have experience with the XP, my rifle shoots Hornady Precision Hunter 140 gr. the best, Federal Premium 140 grain next best. 270 WSM is a great but under appreciated round at the moment. Should have been named .270 Creedmoor.

Hillbilly stalker

Same round, same distance DRT. I’ve never seen blood at impact like this with Corelokt and I’ve shot them for years.

transfixer

My main rifle is a 270wsm. After covid, ammo has been hard to find. I was shooting federal fusions but Federal is not actively producing this round (ive talked to them several times and they say its still an active round but they cant/wont give me a time table as to when they plan to manufacture them).

Winchester seems to be the only manufacturer actively making 270wsm. Has anyone tried the XP in any caliber? Im not talking about the copper round.....they make a lead Extreme Point (xp).

Ive looked online and seen several good reviews, but I trust you folks on this site a bunch more :)

My stepson has a 270wsm, back in the 20-21 season he took a 7pt with those Winchester XP's , it was all he could find at the time also, they did a number on that 7pt, heart shot entrance and exited the bottom of the shoulder on other side, large exit hole,

tcward

I would shoot any expanding cartridge so long as the box does NOT say Winchester. I promise they’ll never see another of my guns….I got an almost full box of .22 magnums and some longbeard XRs laying around you can have if you come get them.
Sorry, But I haven’t been looking for 270s but I do know Cabela’s had a bunch of ammo lately….a bunch!
I would say the same about the yellow and green box stuff…

uturn

That’s what my son shoots in his 270WSM 130 GR XP’s and yes seems all the WSM Ammo is hard to find!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I looked for you. The only place I found any 270WSM was at Ammotogo.