Hospital crisis in Chattanooga area

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I agree with alot of what's been said - but I also have to wonder if some of the problem is these hospital cabals putting so much money into fancy and high-tech things, and not enough into expanding their actual hospitals where patient rooms are concerned. Our local industrial-hospital-complex spends millions and millions on fancy new buildings and tech, but hasn't expanded the actual hospital capacity in what - 30 or 40 years maybe?

Maybe else where but not here. Several floors have been added to a hospital just a few years old. There’s plans for new multi floor building adding about 165 beds. The question will be how to staff it.

greg j

Hospitals let a lot of employees go that did not get the SHOT.
My brothers wife was / is a nurse for 30 years and was let go because she didn't get the SHOT, her own Doctor told her not to get it and even gave her a written report so she could present it to her employer... Made no difference, she was let go. Many hospitals are goin thru a severe personnel shortage because of their own policies.

au7126

Had heart attack Dec 28 2021 in Madison Ga. New local hospital confirmed the heart attack but could not find an empty bed in hospital that had a cardio surgeon.
Finally got a bed in Macon and traveled there on 12/29. Went in back entrance and scared me bad that the walls were lined with beds . Had open heart on 12/30 with 4 bypass. Stayed in ICU an extra day because no beds in hospital.

oldfella1962

Had heart attack Dec 28 2021 in Madison Ga. New local hospital confirmed the heart attack but could not find an empty bed in hospital that had a cardio surgeon.
Finally got a bed in Macon and traveled there on 12/29. Went in back entrance and scared me bad that the walls were lined with beds . Had open heart on 12/30 with 4 bypass. Stayed in ICU an extra day because no beds in hospital.

Lots of deviating from "typical" procedures - did your health insurance cover everything? Sometimes those insurance companies will find every single loophole, so they don't have to cover something. :mad:

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Hospital Systems operate on what is around a 1% operating margin so they tend to run on the leaner side of thigs with employees which is the easiest way to control cost. Having said this, there are a lot less folks going into the medical industry as opposed to the 80's and 90's. Millennials and Gen whatever we have these days had rather work less, make less and have a better quality of life. In todays environment, healthcare workers are working more and not less (hrs per week) and this does not mesh with the younger folks entering the workforce.

It should also be noted that hospitals built just 10 years ago were built to sustain the average growth for said area but as we have seen during Covid, many red states have had tremendous population increases.

au7126

So far I have paid $1300. Have noy received ambulance tab yet but know it is on the way. Madison to Macongo with 2 attendants will be strong I am sure. Glad to be here and gripe

LonePine

Interesting. My wife works at a hospital here in the ATL metro and just a few months ago they were diverting to Chattanooga for traumas since there was no ER space or beds available. If you had a bad car wreck at the entrance to the hospital, they would load you up on a chopper and fly you to Chatt. Sounds like that is no longer an option.

gunnurse

An acuity system would alleviate a lot of strain on the system. Smaller regionalized centers that could accommodate less acute cases closer to home with less technical and equipment needs seems reasonable. With less acuity involved, higher caregiver to patient ratios may be possible. Also, families could be used to give non-medical tasks to assist with. Another center of attention would also have to be streamlining the litigation process regarding medical care. Quite a dream, huh.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
An acuity system would alleviate a lot of strain on the system. Smaller regionalized centers that could accommodate less acute cases closer to home with less technical and equipment needs seems reasonable. With less acuity involved, higher caregiver to patient ratios may be possible. Also, families could be used to give non-medical tasks to assist with. Another center of attention would also have to be streamlining the litigation process regarding medical care. Quite a dream, huh.

Families taking care of their elderly instead of looking for ”A Place for Mom.” Now there’s a novel concept.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Families taking care of their elderly instead of looking for ”A Place for Mom.” Now there’s a novel concept.

inexpensive motel rooms are cheaper than "A Place for Mom." Or so I've been told.

GA1dad

On a positive note, there is help on the way. My 17 yr. old daughter just passed her CNA exam yesterday and 2 weeks ago committed to Lander University for their nursing program. She is also involved in the Medela program and is guaranteed a job in the Prisma Healthcare system upon completion,,,, with bonuses to help repay any any lingering student loans. Due to her hard work in High School, it looks like she will qualify for some healthy scholarships. Hopefully there are more parents pushing their kids in that direction.

Everyone try to stay healthy!

gunnurse

Nursing- A true testament of who you are and what you are. Not what you “do.”

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My Mrs is a trainer, she has a new nurse shadowing about 70% of the time. They still are short staffed.

BeerThirty

Sad! But this is absolutely a staffing issue caused by several other factors.

My mom has been an RN for 30+ years and has told me first hand what's going on. As others have said, healthcare lost a big chunk of their workforce when they mandated the vaccine. You also have big healthcare conglomerates coming in, buying out hospitals and forcing how doctors and nurses do their job. It's 100% about the money to these hospitals, and now they are reaping what they've sown. My mom says she got into nursing years ago to help and care for people, but nowadays nurses spend 90% of their time following company mandated policies and charting as opposed to actually spending time with the patient. She says triple-time pay or $300 daily bonuses are nice, but she would rather be allowed to have a 15 minute lunch break that she never gets. Traditional hospitals are losing nurses to travel-nurse jobs or nurse practioneer jobs that pay twice or three-times as much and are half as stressful. She is not seeing any effort to improve her current salary or benefits, other than offering double or triple time, or daily bonuses to come in on her day off. She is seeing new nurses coming in right out of school, no experience, making 20-30% more money than her. She is watching the nursing director brag about her $25,000 bonus and lush family vacation. By the way, a nursing director who is fully qualified to take care of patients herself but would rather call nurses in on their day off than roll up her own sleeves to pitch in. For reference, my mother visited me last week... She got a combination of 19 voicemails/text message over ONE weekend from both the staffing and nursing director to come in on her time off. She said this happens every day.

It's a sad situation and I really hope people can stay healthy, especially over the holidays.