How do I hunt these bottoms?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ve been scouting and finding some creek bottoms I plan to hunt. Some of them are only maybe 25 yards across and others maybe 50-75. I sat yesterday afternoon, about 20’ up, on the downwind slope…..sitting on the ground. I watched the wind casually change directions and thermals doing thier thing, starting to pull downward. I’m trying to find trees to climb in my saddle. If I climb a tree a little up the slope, I can easily be 50-60+’ above the creek. Or, I can be on the bottom, climb my 20-25’, and sit there.
I guess my question is where would y’all sit? On the bottom, or upslope and be much higher? Would it change depending on time of day? I always hear talk of thermals and I have seen Them in action, but how do you hunt them?

DynamicDennis

I would try and get higher, granted your not directly on the trails. I prefer my stands north facing, if possible. And a tree thats bushy or has another close for some cover

slow motion

I'd try to hunt a trail coming in as has been said. You gotta be close for archery though. Think about the direction the ridges travel. One that I hunt on occasion runs NW to SE. Almost always some air flow downstream. Throw in an East wind and it's dang near impossible to hunt. Probably didn't help much.

Gator89

In a ground blind just in the edge of the bottom has worked well for me.

Killed my biggest buck at 18 steps as he was freshening scrapes after a pre-dawn rain.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you’re down in the bottom of a hole, seems like you’re always fighting the wind.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If you’re down in the bottom of a hole, seems like you’re always fighting the wind.

I want to be above the hole myself and 20-30 yds from the creek itself.

Hunter922

We have lots of narrow creek bottoms in Cobb. From my experience Most creek bottoms that are narrow across are like wind tunnels. Without a STIFF breeze wind will likely be an issue on most of your hunts. If you can definitively ID the hard used trails go into the bottoms then the wind direction should help you move your scent away from them if you set up down wind of them.
That said I would be 10-20 yards off the actual bottom hoping my scent would move away from the immediate area before falling into the bottom.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I like being on the edge of the draw/gulley. Looking downward. In many instances there is a change of terrain from hardwoods to pines or thicket at that point. Deer are creatures of the edge IMO.
For gun hunting I like to place a stand where I can see multiple types of terrain if possible.

Jim Boyd

You mentioned thermals. They rise in the morning and do the reverse in the evening. Hunt accordingly.

I’ve shot those jokers am, pm and midday in bottoms.

Georgia, South Carolina and Illinois.

Just be there if you think there is traffic.

Overanalyzing is not your friend.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I’ve shot those jokers am, pm and midday in bottoms.

Georgia, South Carolina and Illinois.

Just be there if you think there is traffic.

Overanalyzing is not your friend.
I’m not Steve Rinella but I do pretty good. Thanks, though.

Jim Boyd

I’m not Steve Rinella but I do pretty good. Thanks, though.

Not sure what the thanks is for - I am one of the worst deer hunters I have ever seen.

And I have zero idea who S Rinella is….

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
All good answers! I was going to say about 20 yards from bag of yellow acorns but you on public?
Yeah, no yellow nuts near me. thanks y’a… try to hunt the wind, ibut it swirling n switching.

Often might be my best bet ……thatll be ez

Buckstop

Getting deep down in them this time of year probably does more harm than good. Often trails that parallel the bottom along the slope have most of the travel anyway. Too easy to go too far as it gets prettier and prettier and end up overshooting where you want to be. Blown way too many out that way. Unless you have lots of spots to bounce around to, I’d be patient and hunt upper part of the the downwind slope.