Ground Blind - techniques

ldavid008

I cover mine with camo burlap secured with zip ties. I use a combo of zip ties and safety pins with the burlap and old cut up camo pants to create just the right window openings. Put a heater in it with a 20# tank behind it and it'll be the first place you run when it gets cold and/or raining.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Mud it also to take the shine off of it too just like we do for layout blinds for waterfowl

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Use a Turkey call for deer?
Haha…
we use to call what I think you mean as Still Hunting. Move extremely slow… use terrain and vegetation to move to a strategic pause and scan / wait then repeat? Do your best with wind (which is the biggest problem) Is that what you are suggesting. A slow move?

I hunted that way out West where to be honest I don’t believe wind is as big of a factor as in the SE.

I have come to the conclusion that my skills are better served scouting and ease into to ambush, get high and wait.

This ain't one of those stupid billy threads. I was trying to give you some advice. When you want to get serious, let me know.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I own a ground blind that I never use. I kill a lot of deer from the ground. Just sit up in front of or behind a tree to break up your silhouette. I think the blind spooks them worse than you just sitting there.

WOODIE13

I own a ground blind that I never use. I kill a lot of deer from the ground. Just sit up in front of or behind a tree to break up your silhouette. I think the blind spooks them worse than you just sitting there.
I mud mine and brush it up to break up the outline.

I used to leave all the windows open, but would silhouette myself, now use the screens or just crack a couple.

Also tend to leave them out so deer get used to them, because they will spook them at times just put up with no brush

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I mud mine and brush it up to break up the outline.

I used to leave all the windows open, but would silhouette myself, now use the screens or just crack a couple.

Also tend to leave them out so deer get used to them, because they will spook them at times just put up with no brush
Yeah, if I was going to use one, I would put it up long before the season opened. I just find that they aren't necessary.

WOODIE13

Yeah, if I was going to use one, I would put it up long before the season opened. I just find that they aren't necessary.
Definitely helps with kids and rain

WOODIE13

Trying to find a pic of mine under a evergreen, could touch deer as they walked by

WOODIE13

@HarryO45 , camo it like you would a fighting position, 35 yds, grenade range ;)

Take a comfortable seat and tripod or shooting stick

Liberty

I build 3 permanent shooting blinds and just put up a small shoot house over the summer at my place. One of the blinds has never been hunted out of and probably never will, it’s a decoy close to the property line for my neighbor’s renter who was cutting thru my property with a 4 wheeler down my best game trail. I find a small ozone unit to help mitigate odor, just run it intermittently. I hunt many cold rainy days that would keep me out of a tree in those blinds, but the deer learn to avoid them quick if you get busted getting in or out. You can see more and enjoy the woods better from a tree. My favorite hunting is still a comfortable ladder stand, but since I am normally accompanied by a youngster these days, a blind is awfully handy, and they don’t have to be quite as still. Sit at the back and wear a dark top, face covering, and hat. I wear some black face paint on the front of my hands if it is a close quarters woods blind for when I put the rifle up in the window.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Spend the money to buy a good blind chair

Get a bigger blind than you think you’ll need. Trust me on this.

Practice getting into and out of the blind before you start hunting out of it.

I hung a little cheap LED light from the top inside to help me get set up/break down

Depending on how far your walk is and how you hunt you might consider putting a 5 gallon bucket with a screw top lid or a secure good cooler inside the blind and leave it there for your “stuff” you don’t want to carry every time back and forth as well as TP, water, etc. it cuts down on how much you have to carry

I sprayed my blind with permethrin inside and out when I sat it up

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
More

Once you hunt in a good blind in a rain storm, sleet or when it’s windy you’ll realize what you’ve been missing. I killed a buck a couple of years ago in a sleet/snow/rain storm that if it weren’t for the blind being my form of hunting i wouldn’t have been in the woods. I’m tender on my old age

I raked all the leaves away before I set mine up. But if you’re on a platform you might want to put carpet squares on the floor for sound suppression as well as warmth in the winter

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
One thing to remember about a blind is to peek in and look around real good before you get inside it. Several of the unpleasant types like to get in there too, and they don`t like to share the space with you.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Spend the money to buy a good blind chair

Get a bigger blind than you think you’ll need. Trust me on this.

Practice getting into and out of the blind before you start hunting out of it.

I hung a little cheap LED light from the top inside to help me get set up/break down

Depending on how far your walk is and how you hunt you might consider putting a 5 gallon bucket with a screw top lid or a secure good cooler inside the blind and leave it there for your “stuff” you don’t want to carry every time back and forth as well as TP, water, etc. it cuts down on how much you have to carry

I sprayed my blind with permethrin inside and out when I sat it up
Ain‘t nothing tender bout you T!
100% on the permethrin! I’ve sprayed a few spots I like to sit while Turkey hunting too! When I set my blind up, I’ll surely clean the base first……a small burn patch works great too :rockon:

y’all got me fired up and Im gonna set mine up Too!

frankwright

We built three elevated box blinds on food plots on my friend's farm.
Farm deer may be different as they are use to equipment and normal racket.
The one on a big food plot especially is surrounded by woods and the deer may look at the blind but pay it no attention.
Last year I had a nice 8 point I could have jumped out of the window and landed on his back. I really debated if he was a shooter but finally decided to pass.
Does especially feed all around it.
I have a real ground blind just across a creek from a food plot and feeder and they don't pay it any attention either.
I mostly hunt ladder stands or the food plot boxes and I like to just sit in my Millennium seat in the open but those ground blinds are nice in the cold and drizzle.

I had never seen one of these chair blinds until last year and decided to get one for quick set ups in new areas.

I just hope I can control the urge to spring up out of it and holler Surprise! before shooting.

Attachments

• Chair Blind.jpg
    Chair Blind.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 8

SC Hunter

I bought a Tidewe blind to use this year with the kids. We have 2 towers on a place I have permission to hunt but 1 needs to be redone as far as skirting, roof and seats. I'll hunt it but it isn't comfortable for the kids. I'm putting the tidewe out this weekend and get back to feeding them heavy in that area. Hardwoods on both sides of a little powerline easement. I'd like to plant it if I can talk my buddy into dragging his tractor over there for me. I'll set the bog deathgrip pod inside it and put a heater in it for the kids and my wife. I'll hang off the side of a tree in the rain in 40 degrees weather but I'd never expect my wife and kids to do it so a good ground blind and tower is the way to go. I really don't care if I kill one all year or not if they enjoy the season.