How to get rid of a couple vultures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Wonder if the laser would be considered "disturbing wildlife??"
That's exactly what came to my mind. Maybe someone should start a thread on it? I am unsure of what that section of Georgia code considers "wildlife," if lasers are considered to be capable of blinding, or if there is some federal regulation in effect.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

At Cane Creek park in Nc, the park rangers go by in the evening and fire blank shotgun rounds to make the buzzards roost elsewhere. Their regurgitation and scat smells up the whole park if they don’t. It’s nasty.

Taco4x4

We had them roosting on our roof at work. 20 or 30 and tried everything legal we could think of. One day it hit me we need a live scare crow. We bought two of those dancing men I call them. Its a fan that inflates a 8 foot tube with arms and it moves like crazy. You see them at car lots sometimes. I put them on a timer and now we are nasty birds free. You just need to move them around every few days so they don't get use to them in the same spot. All the money we wasted on gimmicks from the internet. The first day I turned them on they were gone. One year later and they might fly by but they never think about landing.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
What about a dog? They use a lab to chase geese off the golf course ponds? Maybe it would work for buzzards?
I have trained my Lacy dog to alert me when buzzards are flying over my house and when they are perched around my neighbors house and mine. No joke.
She will bark at them but they won’t all fly off.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
That's exactly what came to my mind. Maybe someone should start a thread on it? I am unsure of what that section of Georgia code considers "wildlife," if lasers are considered to be capable of blinding, or if there is some federal regulation in effect.
they are wildlife as well as migratory birds.

You don’t have to shine it in their eyes

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
We had them roosting on our roof at work. 20 or 30 and tried everything legal we could think of. One day it hit me we need a live scare crow. We bought two of those dancing men I call them. Its a fan that inflates a 8 foot tube with arms and it moves like crazy. You see them at car lots sometimes. I put them on a timer and now we are nasty birds free. You just need to move them around every few days so they don't get use to them in the same spot. All the money we wasted on gimmicks from the internet. The first day I turned them on they were gone. One year later and they might fly by but they never think about landing.
I had heard of that once a long time ago but had forgotten about it till you mentioned it. Thanks

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
FYI buzzards are intelligent birds and will soon learn what you are doing and react against you. Don’t always approach from the same place, use the same tactic etc
Example
Shooting guns off will scare them off but they may learn it’s just a noise and either not react or just go to another tree nearby.
i have spent probably several hundred dollars shooting in the Air to scare them off.
They don’t like that laser though if the light conditions are right. Some may fly to a tree nearby but just hit them again they’ll leave b

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Should be a better video here

B. White

I would not want to go in front of a judge with the power to decide my fate for doing anything to any birds, if the word "harass" is in any part of the law.

I did have a cousin who was in court once and accused of shooting at someone, but he claimed he was just shooting at an owl. He was released, but that was a long time ago before modern laws.

Now, I have had a few that had taken up residence on a place I bought and we just had a friendly conversation about how it wouldn't end well for either of us if they didn't find a new spot. They seem very happy to oblige, if you explain it to them.

1667167675125.jpeg

huntfish

Back in the early days (before the crash) a guy posted a photo of a dead buzzard in a thread he started telling how he shot it flying over with a 22 mag.

He was arrested later that day if I remember correctly.

@Mechanicaldawg @Jim Thompson do either of you remember this incident?
Yep. Guy even bragged about letting the wardens know cause they weren't going to do anything about a bird.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Any creature short of a bald eagle needing eviction from my property never makes it to a thread here! Haha. Good luck with whatever you decide, but I’d say RRer has given you the best advice.

(y)

Speaking of a Bald Eagle….if you can get one of them to take up residence in the immediate area vultures will vanish. At least they did here on a recent armadillo kill out in my pasture. Not a single one showed up nowhere in sight, even in the sky while that Bald Eagle was on that kill for 2 solid days.

buckpasser

(y)

Speaking of a Bald Eagle….if you can get one of them to take up residence in the immediate area vultures will vanish. At least they did here on a recent armadillo kill out in my pasture. Not a single one showed up nowhere in sight, even in the sky while that Bald Eagle was on that kill for 2 solid days.

The only problem with that is so do the turkeys. They ruined my best spot!

Dub

How to get rid of a couple vultures?​

images-196.jpeg

This is what I've wanted to use......dang things sit on the tree limbs in the lot behind the house......always creeps me out for my dogs....watch 'em very carefully when I let them out.

Thus far it's gone okay and no absurd proactive salvo fired by me........yet.

I know what could happen were I to gun 'em down.

Makes me hate the vultures even more.

HC_01_CuffLnkd_1.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
Back in the early days (before the crash) a guy posted a photo of a dead buzzard in a thread he started telling how he shot it flying over with a 22 mag.

He was arrested later that day if I remember correctly.

@Mechanicaldawg @Jim Thompson do either of you remember this incident?
What was this crash you speak of ??

And.. I used to see them in one particular spot on the way to work. Went on for a long time. Don't know if was the same individuals different ones.

They stink bad.
I seen one crawl out of a deer torso one time at the Ogeechee WMA before it closed down.
I had to cross the WMA for 1 mile to get to the gate of my lease. That was where the WMA gut pile was and it was tore up with Buzzards.

Wanderlust

The only problem with that is so do the turkeys. They ruined my best spot!
This past spring had a bald eagle try to take out some turkeys two mornings in a row. He wasn't successful but I guess they're on the menu.
Neat to watch for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.