Hunting Across The Pond #3 - Driven Pheasant

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
This time driven pheasant shooting on our little DIY pheasant syndicate on land we lease. We release to the woods about 800 young birds each year in late summer and feed them corn and make sure they have plenty of water and are protected as best we can from predators. Then come late October early November start shooting, normally 8 or 9 days in total throughout the season, usually once every two weeks. Average bag size is between 20 to 30 birds per day, all of which get taken away and eaten by the guns, beaters and pickers up. All in all a great day in the woods and a very sociable event. The young guy in the photo is my youngest son who shoots way better than me. The two dogs are my Wirehaired Vizslas.

D89E2F6C-4D43-4835-8783-3D3B39E34C26.jpeg467F4EBB-235B-48B2-8965-746D3B0094CD.jpegC192C86C-B776-4635-A5BF-2E01DB3AC62A.jpeg28A12D61-48B9-429E-B2D6-1326495DB321.jpeg

spring

Still wild birds in England? Nice hunt, Thanks for sharing.

Red grouse are still there and wild, but their hatch was terrible and the numbers were way off this year from what I've read; caused the season to be canceled at most places.

Roebuck

Have always wanted to shoot in England ever since seeing the movie, the shooting party. I like that your syndicate isn't overly formal with attire. Great pictures.

Our little shoot is very relaxed and informal, it’s a bunch of really good people who get on well together.

Roebuck

Still wild birds in England? Nice hunt, Thanks for sharing.

We get a lot of “wild” pheasants which are really released birds that don’t get shot in the season and go on to live and thrive as wild birds.

We get truly wild grouse in the upland regions, but as another post has said it depends on how many broods hatched in the wild that governs how much shooting if any can be done. It’s very expensive though and well out of my reach.

We also have pockets of wild grey partridge around the country and these are great fun to shoot if you can find them.