I guess very few people shoot flint/percussion muzzleloaders now..

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Throwback, I agree with the flintlock Plains Rifle. It`s a good, sturdy, and accurate rifle.

Darkhorse, could you post some pics of your guns? I`d like to see em.

Flintrock

Darkhoarse.
Thanks for the kind words . You know your guns. Only a true traditionalist would know that.
Rifle description:
45 cal Flintlock
42 inch Goetz barrel ( straight. not swamped I wanted the extra weight.)
Brass furniture with wooden patch box
Curly maple stock
Siler lock
Davis trigers
a little relief carving around the lock and rist
Has a small german siver star inlet into the cheek piece
It also has a small ring of silver around the breach of the barrel and a small strip in the center of the front sight.
It has easily had 10,000 shots fired thru it and counting.It still shoots great. I even wore out the frizen and had to get it reshoed.

Eventhough I have built 7 rifles . not the kits,( I Know you know what I mean) . I did not make this one. I ordered it/had it made back from a fine rifle maker back in 1986.
I use to use it in competition from 1987 to about 1994 but my eyes changed . It is retired from competition but it is still the only gun I take to the woods for hunting.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Flint,

I have a Lyman Deerstalker. I don't think it will convert without a whole new barrel, but I may be wrong.

DH,

I know that's one reason I want a 32 squirrel rifle, cause I can get another gun!

T

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Throwback, that`s a good reason to get more of those beauties! :D

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i started shooting frontstuffers about 10 years ago. i had a traditions 50 cal and a pedersoli 45 (the loooong one). i shot with the muscogee long rifles for a couple years but then work and family kind of took most of my time so i put the guns up for sale and did not shoot for a while. it was easier to put a cartridge in the rifle and make meat. but i admit something was missing. so last year i bought a new gun, an inline and i shot the pellets and sabots and got 5 deer with it that year, this year i got 4 deer and a hog. but still something was missing. it was a muzzleloader, but i really missed shooting round balls and i like the traditional look. i like the ease of cleaning the inline though so i compromised and got a nef sidekick, it looks more traditional but it is still an inline. i shoot loose powder and i can shoot balls or ballets with good accuracy. but i have to admit, when i see nics avatar it makes me want to go back a little farther. i found out the other week that one of my great grandfathers actually traveled with daniel boone and was with him when his son was killed so i guess i get it honest. my son would rather shoot the muzzleloaders than his centerfires so he has it bad also.i hope one day to try a flintlock and see how it feels to shoot one. i made the decision to hunt with a longbow a couple of years ago and dabbled at it till i was serious enough that i sold the compounds and never looked back. i have not "blooded" it yet but maybe this will be the year. yall just keep talkin' bout the old ways, some of us younger ones are listenin' and are very interested.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Feral, I bet you know my old Eastern Longhunter buddies, Ed and Keith Seeley. We rondyvoo together.

Flintrock

FERAL ONE said:
i shot with the muscogee long rifles for a couple years

yall just keep talkin' bout the old ways, some of us younger ones are listenin' and are very interested.
The Muscogee long rifles are still there. I have shot there a few dozen times myself.

I am raising my son with the traditioanl ways.Built him a made to fit little 36 call caplock when he was 4 yrs old but he mentioned wanting a flintlock because he says they are "easier". He is now 11 and hunts with a 50 cal traditional caplock that we traded for. When he gets a little older. I will build him a flint if he still wants it.

Flintrock

Nic,
You ever shot at the Brushy Creek range at thier annual March shoot and rendezvous ? Dont have to be pre 1840 on the paper targets but have to on the "primate"side. Shoot, throw hawks/knives, make fire with flint and steal .

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yessir, I spent many a weekend down there, It`s changed a little now though. We have a good one every January at Chehaw Park in Albany too. That`s where the pic in my avatar was taken at.

MULE

Here's mine hanging over the back door. Its one of the cheaper ones, I really want a nice custom one done bad.

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 508

Slasher

ya done it now....

Dad burn it!!! I had been lookin at at caplocks (dixie & midsouth) for the last two years and keep telling my self, "nah... you don't need one... muzzleloader is only a week and mamma is usually fed up with ya enuff by the third week of archery that ya need to lay low around the house, so you can fall back off the wagon during the rut!!!!"

Well, I had myself talked outta all that foolishness...and here you guys go keeping this thread up day after day after day.... you get a fella thinkin... "man a deerstalker, a trade rifle, or a GPR with a peep in .54 cal would fit the bill nicely"

now see what ya done:biggrin2:

Darkhorse

Nicodemus, I don't have a photobucket account but I need to get one. As soon as I get the .40 finished I'll post photos of both the ones I built. It will still be a couple of weeks I put the final (maybe) coat of finish on the wood today. Now I need to finish the metal, this one has iron (steel) mounts and will be browned, and then tune the lock and triggers, and make a new front sight. I made one out of a quarter but I don't really like it. Too narrow for these older eyes.

Flintlock, The .54 has a Colrain barrel and the .40 has a LC Rice. I had Mr. Rice make this barrel for me and it took 4 months till delivery. The finish is really nice I just hope it shoots up to expectations. I talked to Don and John Getz but at that time they couldn't promise me a barrel for about a year. Maybe next time. Both of these are 38" swamped but my next one will either be a 42" .45 straight southern mountain for match shooting or maybe a 42" B profile .50 in a Lancaster, or maybe both.

Does anybody know Benny Coogle from Oglethorpe. He was sorta my mentor way back when. Got me on the right track with patches and so forth. I never knew a flinter could shoot so good until I watched him shoot a deer rifle match offhand at 100 yards back in 75. After that I knew I had to have one.
Back then I shot at a lot of BP matches around the state including Americus, Fort valley, Macon County, Carrolton (Cherokee bark busters) and the Southeastern regionals at River bend gun club. I'm sure a lot of these small clubs we shot at have long since folded.
It's been a long time since I shot competition but I know I don't focus on that rear sight well anymore so any matches I attended now would be for fun only. I don't think I could be competitive.

Darkhorse

Slasher, What do you mean "Blackpowder season is only a week"?
It lasts all season for me. The best time to kill a big buck with a flintlock is during the rut not during that one week the state uses to sell extra licenses.
Plus that big white cloud of smoke just looks better hanging in cold, frosty still air than it does hanging in a cloud of humidity and skeeters.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Darkhorse, Benny Coogle is a friend of mine, and one of the characters of the Chehaw Rondyvoo. He`s also the main entertainment after the saturday night Round Robin Trade Blanket. It`s worth any buckskinners` time to set within listenin` distance when he fires up that geetar to play those old songs around the fire.He doesn`t know it yet, but he`s gonna make me a Tennessee Po Boy with a curly maple stock before it`s over with! I`ve got an old original silver quarter that will be used for the front sight. :D

All of ya`ll are invited to come spend the weekend with us at this event. I`ll post more details in plenty of time.

CK'n

Rendevous?

around here?

Nicodemus, could you add a little info for the unenlightened? (where, when, special events, etc.) Thanks!

Mr. Throwback, those rifles you sent the link to look at are phenomenal. I looked at his prices.... I hope they are that low because he hasn't updated his site in awhile. I'd go broke at the rate he is charging! They are certainly worth more.

Really gorgeous, makes me almost want to change my business from modern to ML's. :( Gotta pay the bills though.

Take care,
Chris

CK'n

River Bend Matches

Darkhorse,

Don't stop shooting yet. They are still shooting meat matches. I think they are the 4th Sat or Sun of the month and go almost all year round. If you are interested, PM me and I will find out for you.

Since it is a match, you do not have to be a member. Just show up. The competition is very laid back, not to say there aren't some terrific shots, just a pretty easy going crowd.

And as for eye sight - well, let's just say you are not the only one trying to figure out which black dot out there is a target, much less is it mine?!

Take care,
Chris

TurkeyCreek

Throwback,

I have a T/C .45 Hawken that I've had since the early 80's. Killed a few deer with it too, all during regular gun season. Would like to one day get a flintlock.

Flintrock

Darkhorse said:
Slasher, What do you mean "Blackpowder season is only a week"?
It lasts all season for me. The best time to kill a big buck with a flintlock is during the rut not during that one week the state uses to sell extra licenses.
Plus that big white cloud of smoke just looks better hanging in cold, frosty still air than it does hanging in a cloud of humidity and skeeters.
Agree 100%:cheers:
After bow season. Its flintlocks only for me.
Still trying to figure how to shoot an arrow in my flint for bow season .Figured if they can call an inline with a scope a primitive weapon. Then why cant a use a arrow in my flintlock and call it a bow :huh: ::ke:

Flintrock

Darkhoarse.
I have'nt scene Benny in a few years. Does he still have the 100 cal Flintlock he made out of a truck axel. 4 balls to the pound. ..very unique.