If All Else Fails......

280 Man

Banned
Try Different sabots...

Last Saturday I went to the range to shoot my new muzzleloader. I only had Harvester crush rib sabots and 45 cal 300 gr XTP bullet. I was using BH 209 powder and CCIm primers.

To say the groups were abysmal is an understatement. I tried several different powder charges but nothing helped. On Wed of this week I ordered some Harvester Short black, H5045SB, but and some "regular" green 44 cal sabots, H5044G and they arrived yesterday.

Didn't have a lot of time but I finally got to the range today to shoot a few. Its amazing what happens when the right things come together. The top pic, with two holes is the 45 cal 300 gr XTP bullet with 100 grs, volume, of BH 209. The pic with one hole is two shots with the 44 cal 300 gr XTP bullet with same 100 gr powder charge.

This was shot with a Optima V2 LR

P_20190209_184434_HDR.jpg

P_20190209_184453_HDR.jpg

7Mag Hunter

try MMP sabots (buy online from website)..sabot shells only...allows u to choose the bullets/weight u want to shoot....got some for my 50 cal CVA inline and some for my old slow twist .54 cal Hawken....

35 Whelen

I just last week tried some 250 grain Hornady SST sabots with Blackhorn 209 powder and CCI 209m primers in my 50 caliber NEF Huntsman and was pleased with the results.

Rabun

Looks good! No need to fix what ain't broken anymore. Looks like you got it dialed in pretty well. What distance were you shooting? 350 grain maxi hunters over 100 gr RS pyrodex is what I feed my in-line.

280 Man

Banned
Looks good! No need to fix what ain't broken anymore. Looks like you got it dialed in pretty well. What distance were you shooting? 350 grain maxi hunters over 100 gr RS pyrodex is what I feed my in-line.

The range was only about 65 yds. I had done a little scope mount swapping around and was making sure it was "on paper" before heading to the range. Got rain forecast through Tuesday night. Wednesday is range day providing nothing comes up!!! Lol

Rabun

Cool...report back...be curious to see how it holds out to 100yds. Personally I have killed more deer with my ML's than any other weapon, and of those, it's the flintlock that has spilled more blood. I think I just tend to hunt harder knowing I only have one shot. Hope you enjoy the new smoke pole!