Injury From a Fish Or Fishing Lures

Redbow

Tell us about some of the injuries you have had while fishing in the past. I have had several over the years some from carelessness of course. I got a hook in the little finger on my right hand one day fishing the river with a hand line. My stepdad was with me. He said boy you gonna have to go get that thing cut out by a doctor. Stepdad couldn't get it out but he tried. I said no way no doctor is going to cut my finger. I got the hook out after wiggling it around for a while and giving it a good pull. It hurt like the devil though.

My cousin and I were in the upper Lake Marion area of Santee-Cooper the Rimini flats trolling for Stripers years ago down in SC. I hooked a nice fish, got him in the boat and reached down to take the Bayou Boogie out of his mouth. The Striper flopped and buried one of the treble hooks underneath the thumbnail of my right hand. Then the thing began to really flop around with the hook still in my finger and the lure in its mouth, those fish are very strong. All my cousin could say is, oh I know that hurts, yeah right it did. I finally got my foot on the fish pinning it down and told my cousin to hand me the pliers. Then I jerked that hook from under my thumbnail with one good pull. The wound bled for a while and it hurt and was very sore for several days.

I have had many Catfish stick me over the years and some Bream and other fresh water species stick me with their fins, not too bad of an injury but makes your hand or fingers sore for a day or two. Sometimes the very end of a fin will break off and stay in your hand or finger giving problems until you can get it out.

The wife and I were at the Georgetown SC jetties one day, fishing the very end of the south jetty that goes out about 2 miles into the Ocean. I hooked something that really pulled hoping it was a big Red Fish or Red Drum as some folks call them. I got the fish to the top of the water and it was a shark about 4 feet long. I was using a 9 foot surf rod to fish with that day. As the shark came along side the boat I grabbed it by the tail just as the hook pulled out of its mouth. The shark immediately swung around and almost got me by the left arm with its mouth. I let it go just in time not to get bitten, I was very lucky that day to say the least. I would have been in real trouble if that thing had gotten its teeth into my arm. That shark could have done some serious damage to my arm if it had gotten me.

Then the absolute worst thing was the stingray that got me in Winyah Bay that leads out to the Georgetown rock jetties. It was a small stingray it was barely hooked so I reached down with my left hand to release it but the ray was lightning fast with its barbed tail striking me on my left index finger. Almost immediately I felt the pain coming I had been warned about getting hit by a stingray by many old salts over the years and how painful it was when it happens. They were right in 5 minutes or so I was in severe pain. I told my wife that I might need to go to the hospital in Georgetown. The pain kept creeping up my left arm and that was frightening. I ran the boat back to the south island ferry landing and loaded it on the trailer. Then we headed home some 90 miles away. Finally after about two hours the pain began to subside and we were just a few miles from home by then. That was an experience I never want to repeat ever again.

There are more but someone else list a few things that have happened to them while fishing.

Last edited:

thumper523

I jerked a large Mepp's spinner into my leg through my blue jeans while fishing a small pond about 1/2 mile from Grandparents house. Old lady heard me screaming, I was 11 yo, and called Sheriff. He carried me to his car and took me back to my Grandmother who then took me to Picken's General where ER Doctor got it out.
Same Dr delivered my mom in 1935, this was 1978. He ruined my favorite pair of Rough Riders.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Rushed to the hospital for suspected broken neck hitting a duck with my face running 70+ in a bassboat.
Durn. That doesn't sound like fun at all.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Me and a buddy were fishing Lake Blackshear several years ago. We were waiting to put in at the ramp while a dad and two boys were taking out. Their trip was cut short by one of the teenage boys, he had a treble hook buried in his hand. My buddy, who is a old river rat, grabbed the rustiest pair of vice grip pliers he had and offered to remove the hook. That young man commenced to putting distance between himself and my buddy, it was hilarious to everyone but the young man. He wound up going to the doctor I guess.
I’ve never had a hook I couldn’t remove myself, don’t want one either.

jollyroger

Most of my fishing injuries have occurred while trying to wade in moving water, trying to rush and not finding proper footing.

Fishing on a part of Chattooga headwaters once and I slipped and cascaded down a bunch of rocks and crawled (literally) out the other end pretty battered up.

I was so bruised and shocked that I was shaking like a leaf from the pain and fear of loosing my life.

Luckily I had a few buddies who saw it and were able to get me to my tent to lie down.

Popped 5 or 6 anvils and went to sleep for the rest of the day, woke up with my entire torso and thighs brusied purple, could barely walk out of the woods the next day.

I'm very fortunate I didn't hit my head on anything.

SC Hunter

We used to fish off jet skis back in high school down at blackshear. We used to wear the bream out in hard to get to spots. I sank a little bream hook all the way to the curve in my hand one day. We pushed it through and cut the barb off.

Unrelated to fishing but I let my girlfriend at the time drive that jet ski one day. As we're rolling down the lake pretty good she decided to swerve to miss something in the water slinging me off. She said I skipped across the water like a rock skipping across a pond. I couldn't hardly catch my breath for a good week after that.

campboy

This is from a couple months ago. A friend of mine brought his son in law fishing with us. Long story short, this is the back of my neck. This required a trip to the ER. Before all of you "experts" start telling me I could've taken the hook out right then and there let me say again this is the back of my neck and I was not about to let some "rookie" try pulling this thing out. Yes, I know the tricks for taking hooks out
IMG_0371.JPG

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I have had several fish hooks in my fingers and and hands, fishing line looped and twisted then a quick yank and keep on fishing.

My worst fishing accident happened at the dock while filleting fish.
20200611_180322.jpg

madsam

Shot a hal fly in my leg shootin docks.......way past the barb. Yanked it out
with pliers and kept fishin.

bilgerat

Senior
back in 2012 I went to Costa Rica with some friends on a fishing trip ,I was standing on the gunnel holding on to the pipe of the tower taking pics of a Sailfish My friend had hooked up; As the fish got close to the boat it went on a jumping frenzy and circled around to My side of the boat . I was so into taking pics I didnt realize he was coming straight towards the side of the boat where I was , He made a awesome jump right as he got to the boat and landed right between My legs! 'As he flopped around and I scrambled to get away I was hit on the leg by his bill as he trashed back n forth, He Put a good gash across My ankle and then fell back in the water and buddy finally landed him. Heres a few pics of the epic battle , one I took of the fish as he jumped right before it landed between My feet. My leg after and the not so great trophy shot of My buddy and the mean nasty fish. 100_0629.jpg100_0630.jpg100_0617.jpgfoot.jpg100_0622.jpg

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
As a young teenager, Dad put a hook into the side of my head. He cut it out with his pocket knife, and kept on fishing. It was a large hook in a pork rind eel. Like we used to buy in a small jar of brine that could rust everything in the old metal tacklebox.

Lilly001

While fishing the upper Nantahala in early April a few years ago I slipped on a rock in thigh deep water. I landed on my back, total submerged, and had the wind knocked out of me along with being submerged in ice cold water.
I buried a #12 hook in my hand and didn't realize it until 10 minutes or so later.
I removed it with a pair of forceps and went back to the truck to change.
The hook was not the worst of the event.

hawkeye123

I was trout fishing on the Tallalluh River several years ago and a buddy of mine stuck a Mepps spinner in my ear..took a trip to the Er in Clayton to get removed

Theturtle

BANNED
wasn’t even fishing sitting on my bed as a kid sorting my tackle box and the phone rang turned to get it and sunk a brand new rebel right in my middle finger my grandpa clipped it off and took me to the hospital a few nurses held me down while they numbed it and pushed it out the other side big fear of needles here the needle was worse than the hook to me

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I stepped on a mullet in the surf on Jacksonville beach once and broke off about an inch of its spine in the middle of my heel. My boss at the time dug around with a razor knife and pliers to get it out.