Injury From a Fish Or Fishing Lures

Ray357

AWOL
This is from a couple months ago. A friend of mine brought his son in law fishing with us. Long story short, this is the back of my neck. This required a trip to the ER. Before all of you "experts" start telling me I could've taken the hook out right then and there let me say again this is the back of my neck and I was not about to let some "rookie" try pulling this thing out. Yes, I know the tricks for taking hooks out
View attachment 1080866
All it would have taken was a .......
I don't blame you, I got a hook taken out at er too. Treble hooks lot harder to do than single.

SC Hunter

Not me but my mama. I forgot about this one. My mama took my brother and I fishing down on the flint in Oglethorpe while Daddy was helping my Granddaddy put in a AC unit one Saturday. My brother was probably 6 at the time and went to cast his line, he sank a smallish panfish hook into Mama's inner thigh. I remember daddy and granddaddy pushing it on through and cutting it off. My mama wanted to kill my little brother. ?

oops1

Buzzard Expert
My dad’s buddy snatched a Big O out of a tree and into my dad's lower lip one day. They cut the hook and took him to the ER.

GoldDot40

Was fishing with a couple of guys one time on a large 25 acre private lake. One of the guys was tying on a #3 worm hook...and was using his teeth to pull the tag of the line to tighten his knot. Something slipped and the hook impaled his nasal septum (meat the divides the nostrils). Glad I wasn't in his shoes.

The other guy there had some wire cutters and was able to snip the hook in half to pull it on through.

alphachief

Two recent ones...catfish barb and treble hook to the finger.

Attachments

• 0B2F8279-C14D-43A5-B59A-71CA2ABC6CAD.jpeg
    0B2F8279-C14D-43A5-B59A-71CA2ABC6CAD.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 4DA76043-33CA-471A-BAE0-C22F2DA00E2D.jpeg
    4DA76043-33CA-471A-BAE0-C22F2DA00E2D.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 22

Core Lokt

Luckily I have not had any real issues over the years. I have seen friends have to push hooks through and cut them, seen a couple get cut bad from grouper/snapper gills but I have been safe.

I just jinxed myself....

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Caught about a 1lb smallmouth on a double-hooked rapala once up in Wisconsin. As I was working off the front hook from it's mouth, it gave a mighty shake, and slid through my hand, firmly embedding the rear treble hook into my thumb, forefinger and middle fingers, and pulling hard enough that it buried the hook to the eye, and in the same motion, pulling those three fingers together nice and snug.

Then the fish started really flopping.

Stepped on the fish to hold him still, and was able, after about 10 minutes to work the hook out enough to cut the eye of the hook and remove the hook from the lure. Then I was able to get my thumb and index finger off each of their hooks by backing the hook out. That last one, though, in my middle finger wouldn't budge, (even after trying the string trick) so that one, I had to push it on through and cut the barb off. That was a lot harder than I thought it would be. That skin is pretty tough, coming from the inside out.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I used to fish a river by my house almost everyday. Mostly with crickets. Was standing in waist deep water and I had a system where I would put the rod under my armpit, then use two hands to fish a cricket out the tube, I kept the hook in my teeth. One day I dropped the rod and hooked myself right through the upper lip! Had to clip the hook, walk to the truck and do an impromptu surgery on myself in the side view mirror.. Then I went back to fishin..

Don’t believe I’ve ever told anyone that story before

HermanMerman

I was maybe thirteen and riding a tube on Lanier when a striper rolled on the surface just in time to be launched into my face. Other than a black eye and wetting my pants from laughing there was no severe damage.