Interesting Day Yesterday As I Traveled Back In Time.....

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I enjoyed a really good day yesterday with my Daughter and SIL from Statesboro as we all went up to my Lincoln County property together and spent the afternoon inspecting and removing whatever decent artifacts we wanted from the past 90 years from my property.

This was originally my Grandfather's homestead beginning back in the 1930's. After my Grandfather died, this entire property was divided equally into 5 different parcels and then was divided up between my Mother and her other 4 siblings. They actually drew numbers out of a hat to determine who got which parcel back then as that was probably the most fair way to do it. I had a first option to buy the parcel originally chosen by my Mother when she died in January 2007 BUT at that time I could not afford to pay the price that another neighbor was willing to pay to add it on to his existing property. Also, these two parcels unfortunately didn't touch so it lessoned the benefit to me back then.

The property that this story is about was what my Uncle inherited and upon his death, then ultimately his surviving wife and that is who I purchased it from many years later. She has been deceased for several years now and so have all of her children.

The old barn that is way back in the woods brought back so many memories of just how they lived back then. This old barn is just about falling down these days but it held a treasure trove of all sorts of old tools and gadgets made me feel like I was living back in that era yesterday. My Daughter and SIL were amazed at some of our "finds". There were several items that pertained to plowing mules such as the plow-stocks, trace-chains and harnesses, also old heavy duty pick-axes, hand-made hoes, rakes, shovels, various glass bottles, old metal bed-frames, a solid metal bed springs, a kerosene heater and also a 5 gallon (galvanized) kerosene storage can with a pour spout that was still in great condition. There were also some "more modern" artifacts that may be from the 1950's-1960's era. There was also one of the old type "manual" lawn-mowers that you had to push across the grass to turn the cylindrical blades on it to cut the grass. It also had a 3-4" diameter solid "metal roller on it that when you flipped this upside down, then you could roll this much more easier when you were moving from one location to the other. I remember that we had one of these back in the 1950's and early 1960's.

Also, one of the odd looking things was a suit coat that probably had belonged to my grandfather and it was hanging up on a nail on the wall in the barn on a really rusty wire type hanger. This coat surely showed its age as such BUT it still had a certain character about it. I told my Daughter that I was going to check the pockets and see if my grandfather had forgotten and left some money in the pockets. I actually checked the three pockets that were on this old coat and all three of them had a bunch of "really old acorns" that the rats or squirrels had left there over the years. (I saw this old coat last week when I was up there but the old floor was not in good shape and I didn't want to get hurt being while being by myself and I wish now that I had hidden some money in that old coat so that when my Daughter and SIL visited with me yesterday, I could have pulled out a bunch of money as they would have gone "nuts" probably). :rofl::pop:

Also on my property is the real ongoing problem being created by the County Code and Zoning Department because there is an old mobile home and some out-buildings that I am being forced by the County Zoning Department to demolish within the next 30 days. This property originally belonged to my aunt that has been deceased for several years now. I had purchased back in 1990 all of her property except the ONE acre part where this mobile home was located. I ended up buying this remaining portion of the property on the courthouse steps as it went up for auction for non-payment of property taxes many years ago as her children would not pay the property taxes even though some of them were living there after my aunt died. All of these relatives are now deceased. It has been in a deteriorating condition for several years and this was the first time that my Daughter and SIL has ever been inside of it.

My Daughter said that it was really "creepy" as the old clothes and other goods looked as if they walked out and never came back as the closets still had clothes hanging in them, three bedrooms and two bathrooms with sinks and tubs in both, also a washer & dryer, 4 burner gas stove with oven, double kitchen sink, a window unit air conditioner, the original heating and air conditioning unit along with other "really old" furniture items, television etc. It also was an old "junk" refrigerator and maybe 100 cassette tapes, and all sorts of other junk out in one of the outbuildings (All of these items were nothing by JUNK.)

One of the ONLY things of any real value was the Electrical Panel box for this mobile home and thankfully I was able to give it to the neighbor (who is a jack of all trades) and he was able to remove it yesterday along with the four actual burners from the gas stove along with several light fixtures etc. I am also giving him the "concrete" molded-type front steps and also about 100 concrete blocks that were being used to holding this mobile home in place if they can be salvaged.

I told my Daughter yesterday that I would be glad when this structure and the out-buildings are demolished and totally removed even though it is costing me over $6000 to complete this project as it has to be done and has to be disposed of in a qualified disposal type land-field. This also included the structure to be tested for any asbestos residue involved as well. Everything is certified within this contract so that I will never have to worry about it again. I decided to contract the very best professionals in the demolition business to do this project and they are located here in Augusta BUT they do business all over the southeast. Even though, I have known about this business for 40 years or so, I had never had a need for their expertise until now.

My Daughter and SIL will be inheriting this country property so I know that they will not have any future problems associated with it. This property is bordered on the back side property line by a creek and the property is loaded with all sorts of wildlife including deer, turkeys, coyotes, bobcats, squirrels, rabbits, hawks, dillos etc.

I enjoyed yesterday as I also got to ride in my SIL's new Ford truck and it was a very comfortable ride....as I got to see a lot more things than usual on my trips to the country because I was sitting in the back seat and didn't have to worry about any traffic at all.

It was one of the very best days as we were able to spend time together as such.

Last edited:

sinclair1

Glad you lived some old memories. I am in the same boat with code enforcement. I inherited a dilapidated house with a half dozen sheds. They haven’t got on me yet, but it’s coming. It’s old an will give us asbestos issues in disposal I’m sure.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Glad you lived some old memories. I am in the same boat with code enforcement. I inherited a dilapidated house with a half dozen sheds. They haven’t got on me yet, but it’s coming. It’s old an will give us asbestos issues in disposal I’m sure.

Let me know for when you need an alibi if it catches fire.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Very cool story Sockbro !!! Was hoping for pics..

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Let me know for when you need an alibi if it catches fire.

I have already been down that road and asked the officer what what would happen if lightning struck it and it burned completely. The code officer told me back last year that I would be going to jail if that happened !!!!

Very cool story Sockbro !!! Was hoping for pics..

I had planned on taking photos BUT I can't even upload any photos from my trail cameras OR my 35 MM Olympus that I have had for 20 years or so either. This DANG new computer is driving me crazy!!!!!

My Daughter took a few photos with her cellphone yesterday and emailed them to me this morning about something that was a weird "whatjamacallit". I was going to ask other members here if they knew what the heck that it was. Of course, I was going to try and see if I can upload it direct from that email but it was only about 4 photos total.

Wifeshusband

Thanks for sharing, Eagle Eye. I once visited the old courthouse in Lumpkin, Georgia and pulled my grandfather's will. It was a very interesting read.