Out Of The Big Three

earlthegoat2

All the ones made from about 1999 -2008 were pretty good across all manufacturers.

transfixer

I had a 302 my Dad and I built , flat top pistons, 289 4brl intake, small Holley 4brl carb, was a good solid engine for a lot of miles, had great power and good fuel mileage, my Dad had a Dodge van with a 225 slant 6, you couldn't kill that engine, it just kept going,

but I have come to the conclusion the best engine I've dealt with in my lifetime, is the 2000-2005 Gm LS 6.0 engine, before they started DOD, they have a lot of power/torque, and last forever if you do normal maintenance, its not unusual for one to go 400k-500k miles and the bottom end still be fine, I'm exposed to virtually every engine out there since I work in automotive repair, and there is nothing else that can compare to the LS 6.0 in those years

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
No love for the GM 283? That was a stout little V8.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yes it was and it really responded well to just minor modifications.

4 barrel carb, full race cam and solid lifters and that thing would walk and talk. :rockon:

TJay

A guy that I went to high school with had a '63 Impala, at least I think it was a 63 I'll have to verify that with him. His Impala had a 283 and while it wasn't a 396 or anything like that with dual exhaust and a holley 4 barrel it would go pretty good. I'll bet he wishes he had it right now. :cool:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I grew up a GM guy. Only built 1 engine(had built). We dug out a 350 4bolt main from a van at a junkyard And built it with a 400s crank and rods. We put that 383 in my black with gold trim ‘81 Z28. I had a bunch of fun with that thing……I still miss it! I need to take a picture of the pictures I have of it.
THe slant 6 in a Jeep is probably one of the best running engines ever, cept maybe some 4 cylinder toys and dats.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Then again, the Honda 3.5 V6 seems to be running strong even after doing this……I’ll probably try to put a 4 in that first digit before getting rid of it.

IMG_4986.jpeg

Redbow

No love for the GM 283? That was a stout little V8.
Oh yeah, I loved the 283 and the old 292 that Ford built. I have ridden many miles behind both engines.

Yeah the Chevy 305 engines I had no use for nor the 307. I wasn't a Chevy 400 fan either.