Iron Clay Pea questions

destincabo

I'm hoping someone can help me with some questions on Iron Clay Peas. We have several plots planting with a pennington mix that has ICP, soybeans, buckwheat, sorghum and sunflowers in it. In some of the areas, I just did not get enough seed down and have some bare spots. Everything is growing fairly well considering these are new plots, and we just added lime per the soil tests. The soil is fairly sandy, and I'm wonder can I broadcast ICPs into the existing plots and bare spots before a rain and have any chance that they will germinate and fill in the spots? We have more food growing that the existing deer herd can eat, so over browsing is not a problem.

I also have some round up ready corn that is looking good and wondered if later in the summer it would possibly make sense to throw some ICPs in there and let them vine up the corn.

Thanks for any input.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Rain???? What is that you speak of????

I spilled some I&C cowpeas in the bed of my trailer. In a clump of pine straw, they grew about 6" tall and did well ... till the rain stopped. They will germinate and grow, as long as you keep getting good rain, till they get some roots established. It will be a better situation with sandy soil and might just do fine and would be something I would try!

For your corn, I would wait till late September or early October and broadcast fertilizer, wheat, clover and or brassica's in there, while the corn is standing, assuming you can get good seed to soil contact (minimal weeds). When the corn is eaten, you can bush hog some trails in there and you'll have your fall crop.

destincabo

LOL exactly. What is rain? Its been a long time since I've seen it too. Thanks for the input, I'll broadcast some ICP the next time I see rain in the forecast ha.

As for the corn, we were planning on mowing some strips in the fall to plan, thanks for the tip on the mix to use.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
no problem!!!!!!