It is Time

frankwright

Now that the deer hunters are gone I can get down to my pig hunting land and get some feeders set up.
They don't allow baiting during deer season so the hogs have not been fed except a few food plots.
My buddy went down to check his feeder, spun out a little corn by hand just to see if any was in it. He didn't have a 6V battery with him.
Within hours the pigs were on it and the planted powerline.
Nice thing is you can sleep in, eat a late breakfast and wander out there late morning and kill some.

I hope to get 3-4 more feeders and blinds up and be back in business. May need my Little Buddy Heater!

Attachments

• Powerline Pigs 1 2024.jpg
    Powerline Pigs 1 2024.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 28

sghoghunter

We filled a couple of our feeders last Sunday before we left. One thing I didn’t think about was camera batteries though and now two are dead. This small group showed up today but hopefully they will find some yonder and some big boys will start coming in regularly

Attachments

• IMG_1450.png
    IMG_1450.png
    747.4 KB · Views: 15

frankwright

Gosh has it been slow. I truly believe there has been some serious trapping going on either at the neighbor WMA or landowners and with these new traps, they can really round them up.
We have had a group of about 8 show up occasionally and two bigger sows with two piglets who are now up to about 25 lbs are on one cam at the feeder on the powerline pretty regular. Sometimes evening and sometimes late morning.
I was itching to go so I went on Thursday afternoon, as I was trying to navigate my ATV down and up a couple of long, muddy rutted hills the group of eight busted out of a water run off spot. I just saw butts as they left.
I sat across from the feeder(Off now because of turkey season) on thee powerline about 35 yards. I poured out five or six little piles of Hog Heaven powder to try to position pigs for a shot.
I saw nothing.
Went back before daylight. I did not put out any more bait and when it got daylight I could tell the pigs had roto tilled everywhere I had put powder including 15 yards from my folding chair.
Nothing until 10:00 when the 4 popped out of the woods behind the feeder. Hung around about 10 seconds to see there was no corn or bait and headed up the powerline in the weeds. I put my Sig 10mm on the tripod and twisted around trying to get a shot at a big black sow. She did not look or sound hit when I shot. I waited and then did some looking and saw no sign of a hit. I followed where the pigs went in the woods where the pigs ran and finding no sign zig zagged back and forth for an hour. Found nothing.
I heard a little grunt and started looking all around and a tiny brown pig came running right to me. I stomped my foot and it finally veered off and ran.
I sure wish I had a do over. I was sitting back in a spot I had cleared the weeds and had laid a big leafy sapling in front of me for cover and it prevented me from getting a quick shot. Lesson learned.

Attachments

• Sig XTen Pig hunting 3 2024.jpg
    Sig XTen Pig hunting 3 2024.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 21