It's Topwater Tuesday w/video

Scout'nStripers

I wish I wouldn't of watched that before going to work!
Yea man, I know what you mean. I was in the shop all day yesterday and I'll be in the shop all day today making these things. I'm dying to get back out there but I know some of the folks that ordered them need them for a tournament this weekend, including me and my tournament partner.

On another note, you can find my monthly write-up in the local Angler magazine in the Atlanta section. Just look for the "Southern Tackle Box". I covered a little more on using topwater tactics in May.

Last edited:

jocko755

All Hail the Emerald Popper! Another great video!

Amazing catch on 6 lb line. Very patient. Nice job!

D

Deleted member 35556

Thanks Dustin. More to follow.

I'm using a medium heavy BPS Extreme spinning rod and cheap Lew's Speed Spin.
The popper takes some practice. You just need to make it splash like a blueback getting chased by a bass and then wake it back. Once you get the hang of it and start catching them it will be a lot easier. That bone redfin works great also, as well as just about any bone topwater bait you can find. The bone Vixen and a bone spook and spook jr.

The coolest thing about that popper is that when you wake it back it actually has a side to side swimming action because of where the line tie is. I bet you from below it looks very much like a swimming baitfish action.

Scout'nStripers

Very nice video. Peaceful and quiet with no music. I like that.

All Hail the Emerald Popper! Another great video!

Amazing catch on 6 lb line. Very patient. Nice job!
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

The coolest thing about that popper is that when you wake it back it actually has a side to side swimming action because of where the line tie is. I bet you from below it looks very much like a swimming baitfish action.
Absolutely, plus the little sparkly trailer hook wiggles side to side also and I think that seals the deal.

Simply awesome. Good work on the video as well. Were you using a go pro? I need to start fishing more.
Thanks Slowmow. Not a GoPro. I have one but I like my Sony Handycam HD better. I build a little base for it to sit on my back seat. One of the cool things I like about the Handycam is that you can turn the viewfinder around and kinda see what you're recording if you're by yourself.

I had another stellar morning this morning but it was over just after the sun hit the water. I think I had a limit in 30 minutes and then Mr. Striper decided to tear off with it and broke me off. I got a good video of that...I think?
I had to leave them biting to come home and make more poppers. I've got some good video from this morning but I really don't have time to go through it today. Topwater started before dawn was over by 7:30.

Last edited:

jocko755

Jim - how would I get on the list for one of those poppers?

Sure would like to buy one. Though I'm sure they would hit any number of baits, you know how it is..... you just have to have one - sprinkle some magic on one for me.

Scout'nStripers

Jim - how would I get on the list for one of those poppers?

Sure would like to buy one. Though I'm sure they would hit any number of baits, you know how it is..... you just have to have one - sprinkle some magic on one for me.
LOL, I'll send you a pm Jocko and you're right-any number of things will work right now. As a matter of fact, the mighty popper was defeated this morning on size. My tournament partner was throwing another bait out of his boat side by side with me and his bait outdid the popper. We probably got him on numbers this morning but he crushed the popper in size....unless stripers count.