Jackson Lake/South River fishing

calib0rx

I'm an avid fly fisher. Home waters for me are the Hooch, to the point I've built out a custom 14' jet boat so I can access places most boats can't go.

We're closing soon on a lake house on Jackson Lake. It's up at the top end of the lake, near where the South River dumps in. What's the fishing like on the stretch of that river between Atlanta and Jackson Lake, and on the lake itself?

Obviously no trout, but I'm actually a little interested in chasing bass and whatever else might be attainable on the fly.

I might even cross over to the dark side and buy a bass rig.

JontheFisherman

I live a little farther north on the lake, just below the 212 bridge. I mainly use my fly rod to catch sunfish to use as bait. Catfish are abundant here and can get quite large. I can imagine you could do really well here with the flies with the right patterns. Lots of small shad and fry being fed on by a number of species. There are spots, largemouth, white, striped and hybrid bass here. Crappie population is good, just not many big ones. I’ve hooked into lots of gar that would be fun to fight on a fly rod! They are always cruising around near the surface.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I live a little farther north on the lake, just below the 212 bridge. I mainly use my fly rod to catch sunfish to use as bait. Catfish are abundant here and can get quite large. I can imagine you could do really well here with the flies with the right patterns. Lots of small shad and fry being fed on by a number of species. There are spots, largemouth, white, striped and hybrid bass here. Crappie population is good, just not many big ones. I’ve hooked into lots of gar that would be fun to fight on a fly rod! They are always cruising around near the surface.
Keep and clean every gar you can catch...thank me later.

South is great for bream and bass. The water below Jackson dam for 5 or 10 miles, took a lot of my interest when I was younger. It’s bigger water, easier to cast ,and can be waded between generations.

Hunter/Mason

When you get moved in let me know we live right by the dam. My son and a whole gang of his friends have real fast Jon boats and run the river almost daily. There not fishing much just running around being 15-16 yr olds but they all know the water well and can show you what they have learned and will help if you get stranded out of gas ect.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I'm an avid fly fisher. Home waters for me are the Hooch, to the point I've built out a custom 14' jet boat so I can access places most boats can't go.

We're closing soon on a lake house on Jackson Lake. It's up at the top end of the lake, near where the South River dumps in. What's the fishing like on the stretch of that river between Atlanta and Jackson Lake, and on the lake itself?

Obviously no trout, but I'm actually a little interested in chasing bass and whatever else might be attainable on the fly.

I might even cross over to the dark side and buy a bass rig.
The fishing is good up the rivers. You can go as far as the shoals. No farther even in a jet boat in south at snapping shoals or alcovy. I can't remember how far I went in the yellow maybe porterdale shoals? It's been a long time.

Anvil Head

And sight fishing for Gar with a 6 or 7 wt would be awesome. Tie some big, hookless streamers with nylon rope and you should be able to wear them out.
This! They don't call them the "Po Man's Tarpon" for nothing. They will actually breech the surface on a flyrod. I just keep all my old worn out bass bugs to use for them. Easiest to catch coming toward you. Cast a few yards behind and strip over their heads, they'll instinctively slap at your fly. They have great eyesight and if they can eyeball your lure long enough they'll let it pass. Great fun and good eats.