Jeep Trail Rated?

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Shouldn’t be any trash to pick up. Also you or anyone else including myself should not ride through any stream or river for any reason including pleasure.

I agree there shouldn't be any trash to pick up, but the majority of folks could care less and someone needs to clean it up so we try to do our part.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I agree there shouldn't be any trash to pick up, but the majority of folks could care less and someone needs to clean it up so we try to do our part.
I agree but the majority of folks in our society could care less about anyone but themselves. If litter mattered there would not be any.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Litter matters to some, black lives to some, unborn babies to some. It's a personal thing.

transfixer

To me that badge is their way of getting more money for that model, with the absolute ridiculous powertrains they use in the majority of jeeps, its a wonder they ever make it more than 100yds on a trail ! I make a good living repairing transmissions in Wranglers, those transmissions are a ridiculous joke ,,, the design doesn't hold up in mini vans , much less in something with larger than normal tires, and I won't even get into the units in the jeeps that are smaller than Wranglers,, pretty sure my atv transmission will take more abuse than those will ! even if you used it in something heavy as a Liberty or Compass

The manual transmissions they use are a little better than the autos, but not by much

Jeeps are one of most over rated/over priced vehicles on the road today, sorry guys ! don't mean to hurt feelings , just stating facts

The manufacturer gambles on the fact that majority of Jeep owners will NEVER actually use their vehicle truly off road .

earlthegoat2

Jeeps are one of most over rated/over priced vehicles on the road today, sorry guys don't mean to hurt feelings , just stating facts

Well, I own one now. I didnt seek it out. It was a solution to a desperate problem I had at the time. I was looking for a compact car and this is what the market forced upon me. I have no plans to modify this in any way that would further stress the drivetrain. It has the "towing package" which rates it to 5000 lbs. NOPE!! Not even going to try that. 3K max maybe. But I do have an F250 with a V10 for those sorts of things.

I will say I like it better than my old Focus. I like the higher ride and really understand why these mid size SUVs are so popular.

It is cheap to repair and easy to find parts for and a YouTube vidoe exists for every problem on these things. I was pleased at how easy the front end was to work on since I rebuilt the whole thing soon after purchase. Steering rack, PS hoses, A-arm bushings, sway bar bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, and struts. Did a rear pinion seal too as well as U joints. No fuss no muss.

John Cooper

To me that badge is their way of getting more money for that model, with the absolute ridiculous powertrains they use in the majority of jeeps, its a wonder they ever make it more than 100yds on a trail ! I make a good living repairing transmissions in Wranglers, those transmissions are a ridiculous joke ,,, the design doesn't hold up in mini vans , much less in something with larger than normal tires, and I won't even get into the units in the jeeps that are smaller than Wranglers,, pretty sure my atv transmission will take more abuse than those will ! even if you used it in something heavy as a Liberty or Compass

The manual transmissions they use are a little better than the autos, but not by much

Jeeps are one of most over rated/over priced vehicles on the road today, sorry guys ! don't mean to hurt feelings , just stating facts

The manufacturer gambles on the fact that majority of Jeep owners will NEVER actually use their vehicle truly off road .
Hmm you must be talking about the transmission in the JK and newer, because I know guys who wheel the snot out of the 1997-2006 autos lifted on 33's and 35's same as the manuals and rarely have any issues.

Out of all the 4x4's on the market the Jeep wrangler is still the most capable off road vehicle out there.

Lukikus2

The difference back in the day between off road and standard was just a skid package. Well worth the money.

transfixer

Hmm you must be talking about the transmission in the JK and newer, because I know guys who wheel the snot out of the 1997-2006 autos lifted on 33's and 35's same as the manuals and rarely have any issues.

Out of all the 4x4's on the market the Jeep wrangler is still the most capable off road vehicle out there.

Jeep used a Chrysler 904 transmission in the 97-early 2000 wranglers, a 3 spd auto, a light duty transmission, as long as oversized tires weren't used, it was a decently capable trans. But yes, we've rebuilt many of those . After that unit they started using a 42rle transmission, which is basically the same trans as a Chrysler mini van, just turned longwise, we build those constantly,

If the vehicles kept the stock size tires, the powertrain would be adequate for normal use, what gripes me from a technician standpoint, is I know how the powertrains are built, and how they work, Jeep knows people will put oversize tires, and extra equpment on the vehicle, adding weight to it, but that isn't their problem when something breaks or wears out.

In my industry its understood when we see a Wrangler in the parking lot with oversized tires and wheels, we know the trans is shot, many times its only burnt clutches, but about half the time the planetary gears are busted or broken as well

John Cooper

Again I can't argue with what you have rebuilt, what I do know is off road folks that build their Jeep to off road with, when they go to bigger tires normally go with a lower gear ratio in the axle which will relieve more of the stress on the transmission.

Jeep is no different than any other manufacturer, in respect to building a product. Ford, Ram and Chevrolet trucks when lifted and larger tires are installed but axles not regeared, then the transmission suffers the consequences of the larger tires.

I prefer the 32RH over the 42RLE due to no overdrive, I also prefer the NV3550 over the AX15 and the NSG370.

transfixer

Again I can't argue with what you have rebuilt, what I do know is off road folks that build their Jeep to off road with, when they go to bigger tires normally go with a lower gear ratio in the axle which will relieve more of the stress on the transmission.

Jeep is no different than any other manufacturer, in respect to building a product. Ford, Ram and Chevrolet trucks when lifted and larger tires are installed but axles not regeared, then the transmission suffers the consequences of the larger tires.

I prefer the 32RH over the 42RLE due to no overdrive, I also prefer the NV3550 over the AX15 and the NSG370.

What we see in the shops is the jeep owners very seldom re-gear the diffs, if they did that then yes, the trans would hold up normally, I currently work in Woodstock now, and it seems to be a huge "soccer mom" "yuppie" Jeep owning area, where they drive vehicles based on looks alone, I guess trying to look cool ? lol Most are sparkling clean underneath, having never been off road, but yet still needs a transmission, the ones that have been off road usually need more extensive repairs . might be different in other areas,,, just stating what I've seen

Larger tires seem to affect Chrysler transmissions more so than other manufacturers units, of course most Chrylser units are inherently weak in my experience anyway, they seem to design units that are barely capable of handling the vehicle in stock form.

Perfect example is their current "heavy duty " transmissions, the 65rfe-68rfe series of units, the 68's are behind the 6.7 diesels, and are barely capable of staying functional with a stock motor and stock tires,, so when bigger tires and a tuner goes on ,,, Boom !

transfixer

And for the record, I don't mean to come across as bashing one vehicle or another, I'm just trying to inform people about what will or does happen to some of the vehicles they choose to buy, most people don't do much research into dependability or problems that occur when they add aftermarket stuff to vehicles, whether its larger tires, or performance mods,, such as tuners,, and then we see them in the shop needing repair and the customer is "shocked and surprised " that now they need an expensive major repair that they never thought would happen ,,, and they find out the hard way what looking cool and having extra torque and horsepower can cause to their wallets

I just see this sort of thing alot ,, with trucks that have tuners on them, and jeeps with big tires,

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Preferably in groups of thirty or forty Jeeps lined up bumper to bumper that block up all the traffic on gravel singletracks, spin out big mudholes in the roads, and annoy the local folks to death.
Let's not forget that the think it's OK to joyride on our WMA roads and tear those up as well.

transfixer

Finding a gently preowned Wrangler Rubicon is the best route for someone living in the country or whom will be doing a little off-roading and trail driving.

Rubicons come factory with lower gearing, beefier axle differentials, push-button true locking 4WD and front swaybar disconnect.. other words, they’re oversized tire ”ready”

Wrangler’s are not the end-all, be-all of available off road vehicles in the USA but are hands down the most easily customizable to their owner’s uniquenesses :p

but even then,,, they still tear up,,, this is in our shop right now jeep.jpg