Kawasaki Mules SX series

Bigtimber

Anyone own one of the smaller SX Kawasaki mules or have any experience with them? I been looking hard at them. Any and all feedback on them or other affordable gas utv's appreciated.

wvdawg

Staff member
I bought one last summer. Very pleased so far - no problems at all. It is very quiet too!

Buford_Dawg

I test drove one and then test drove a Ranger 500, they close in size, I did'nt need a ton of HP. Ended up with the Ranger, but I have a gut feeling the Mule would be more reliable down the road. I think you will be very happy with it.

MOTS

Been looking at them hard myself for farm work. I like the lower bed and tires for hay and hauling. I would get the 4WD model for sure. It's seems to be the most bang for the buck for us being in our fifties.

7 point

I have one I bought new in 18 its been a good buggy so far I use it like a little tractor at our lease it's never let me down .

GeorgeShu

I have one I use primarily around the house but also take it to woods now and then. Love it, very handy for toting and it rides well but I mostly putter along. One suggestion, if I may. Add the power tilt for the cargo bed. Much easier than the “armstrong“ system for unloading heavy or bulky loads.

ryanh487

I bought one in the fall. love it! It's amazingly quiet and made it through all sorts of soupy mess without hesitation. It's not the fastest side by side on the market by any means, but you don't need speed to get to the deer stand. It sips gas and is very easy to add accessories to. It's the best value/highest quality in it's price class by far. And I've had multiple folks that work in the offroad toy industry say that the mules are almost never in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance.

Bigtimber

Thanks everyone....read a few negative opinions about not having enough GO in high range....meaning lugs motor down on anything but a flat paved road in high range?....any truth to that? Also read somewhere about the charging system was pretty weak.....wont pull a "full size" led light bar and such full time?. That kind of seemed hard too believe about the charging capacity....but maybe not about the high range get e up. Any feedback on those issues?

ryanh487

I've got a 20" light bar on mine and it has no issue keeping it running. It's more than enough to function as my own personal daylight.

Like I said it's no speed demon, it's a little slow up hill but gets it done. I'm 250 and my dad outweighs me a good bit and we get around in it just fine up and down hills and through mud too soupy to walk through.

Buford_Dawg

The speed is honestly why I ended up with the Ranger 500, like I said for reliability and long term use and little maintenace, I am sure the Mule --> Ranger. I do like my Ranger and in the 2 years I had it, no issues, hoping I can say that in 10 years :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We run a fleet of mules at work. We've tried a lot of different brands, but the Kawasaki and Kubota are the only ones that will stand up to hard daily use. We're still running some all day every day that are nearly 20 years old, if that tells you anything.

7 point

Mine is kinda slow but I dont buy aScreenshot_20210220-141301_Gallery.jpghunting buggy for speed I pulled some pretty heavy loads with it for its size in the woods and in mud never had a issue .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Mine is kinda slow but I dont buy aView attachment 1078949hunting buggy for speed I pulled some pretty heavy loads with it for its size in the woods and in mud never had a issue .
Yeah, I can't think of any situation offroad that I want to be running 40 mph in a side-by side. The Mules are usually governered at 20-25 mph which is still way too fast in most offroad situations.

nmurph

I have a 3010 bought new in 04. It has about 1200hrs and hasn't been in the shop. Not fast, about 22mph by GPS, but it is the quietest SxS with a large, well shaped bed.

ThatredneckguyJamie

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, looking at getting a new SxS and the mule sx 4x4 is at the top of the list, along with a pioneer 520. Any of yall ever had to traverse nasty South GA swamps with the mule? How's it handle the slop?

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, looking at getting a new SxS and the mule sx 4x4 is at the top of the list, along with a pioneer 520. Any of yall ever had to traverse nasty South GA swamps with the mule? How's it handle the slop?
I don't have one but my neighbor has one of the big crew cab mules. He loves it. It takes him through all the mud and swamp with no issues. His only complaint is the ground clearance so keep that in mind if the trails are really rutted up

MOTS

I actually bought one less than a month ago for our farm. It's the 2023 SX fuel injected 4X4. It took forever to find one. I really like it. Size and reliability was the selling points for us. It's the lowest entry level 4X4 they offer. Ground clearance could be an issue in a lot of rutted and wooded terrain. Mud wouldn't be no problem unless it bottomed out. For less than 500.00 more you can get a XC model which has a small lift and taller tires giving you an extra 1.5 inches more ground clearance. Out of curiosity, on my phone app it will run 24 mph. Lots of accessories are available for them. I've added a top and 2" receiver to it. It's a good workhorse and hay hauler! Don't expect to get it for what Kawasaki says they cost on their website however. Hope this helps some on the fence.

7 point

My buddy has the pioneer 520 it's a little louder than the mule and I dont like that it has a manual transmission with electric shift option it makes a loud noise when it electric shifts.