Kinchafoonee Bream.

twtabb

Your the original kinchafoonee Cowboy.
Nice way to spend the day. If we don’t get to much rain hitting spring creek next week.

jbogg

It`s a different kind of fishing. Slower paced, nothing but the sounds of Nature, and a fine way to stay cool. You need to be mindful though, any overhanging limb can hold a red wasp nest, if you snag up in a limb or cypress knees, make sure a cottonmouth is not close by when you reach in for your fly, and ever once in a while look behind you to make sure a gator is not slipping up to inspect you.

Your making the mountain trout streams sound pretty good. Snakes don’t bother me much, but a big hungry bull gator lurking somewhere under the surface kind of puts things in a different perspective.

oldguy

And when you get hot, just blow like a bo' gator and settle to the bottom!
Went again Monday and caught another nice mixed bag. Stuck with the little black WB. Had to throw it away when I got home not much more than a hook with some black thread on it.
Hey Nick I don't know how it's doing it but compared to all the other creeks in the area the Kinchafoonee is maintaining a strong flow with the hot dry weather and pumping going on. They've finally stopped releasing water at the dam in Albany so the Flint is right now too. You ever wade the river? Some places you can tie the boat up and wade for quarter mile or more. Gotta keep an eye on the flow though. Got caught on the wrong side of the river when they started releasing at Oakfield!
Been wanting to asked if over the years you've noticed a decline in the brown water snake population and the red wasps as well? In the 60s & 70s both were everywhere now down here you seldom see either.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
And when you get hot, just blow like a bo' gator and settle to the bottom!
Went again Monday and caught another nice mixed bag. Stuck with the little black WB. Had to throw it away when I got home not much more than a hook with some black thread on it.
Hey Nick I don't know how it's doing it but compared to all the other creeks in the area the Kinchafoonee is maintaining a strong flow with the hot dry weather and pumping going on. They've finally stopped releasing water at the dam in Albany so the Flint is right now too. You ever wade the river? Some places you can tie the boat up and wade for quarter mile or more. Gotta keep an eye on the flow though. Got caught on the wrong side of the river when they started releasing at Oakfield!
Been wanting to asked if over the years you've noticed a decline in the brown water snake population and the red wasps as well? In the 60s & 70s both were everywhere now down here you seldom see either.

Yes I have. I seldom see a brown water snake anymore, but when I do it`s always a big one. As big as they grow. I think agricultural spraying and chemicals has cut down on all the wasp and bee populations. I`m also sure that`s why i no longer have worms on my catawba trees too. Six trees and I haven`t had bait on one in a good many years.

j_seph

What is that flat piece of wood, sort of looks like a nail puller on the end. Please explain sir.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What is that flat piece of wood, sort of looks like a nail puller on the end. Please explain sir.

That`s a stainless steel Tabor Tool, made by Raleigh Tabor. Combination neck knife and utility tool.

The actual flat wood all that is hanging on is an extremely old and unique shaped cypress knee.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nice looking fish, Nic. I would have to take my old creek cane pole with about 3 foot of extra line on it, and flip the little rubber bugs I used to have. If I used that fly rig, nobody would stay on the creek with me.

oldguy

Yes I have. I seldom see a brown water snake anymore, but when I do it`s always a big one. As big as they grow. I think agricultural spraying and chemicals has cut down on all the wasp and bee populations. I`m also sure that`s why i no longer have worms on my catawba trees too. Six trees and I haven`t had bait on one in a good many years.
See catawba trees along the creek and river with a full compliment of leaves - no signs of feeding. Back in the 60s you could catch a couple of pillow cases of BWS on the river in a day. We'd put a canoe in at Slappey or down behind the old James Rivers motel and paddle up the Kinchafoonee tp Fowltown falls and on up. Whoever spotted the BWS got to catch it. We'd swim across the creek and snatch 'em out of the bushes - sure had to watch for the wasps!'Used to sell snakes to a roadside zoo in FL and send 'em to a guy in California. High times they were!

ilbcnu

if you till up a tillers tines width down the side of those catalber tree's and put in a wildflower mix it will definately help with the catalber worm population

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
You and me will get together this summer for some creek and river fishing. :cheers:
I might be heading down to the Panacea area Sunday and do a little wade fishing if you want to play with your new 8wt. Gonna have that cold front moving through so I do not know how the bite will be...but I have been wanting to check out some areas I have seen on google earth.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I might be heading down to the Panacea area Sunday and do a little wade fishing if you want to play with your new 8wt. Gonna have that cold front moving through so I do not know how the bite will be...but I have been wanting to check out some areas I have seen on google earth.

Make it June and we`ll try to make it happen. :cheers:

GA1dad

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I know it's an old thread,, but great pic!! One of my favorite things to do is catch panfish and such on the fly!! I didn't know you were a fly fisherman Nic,,

I`ve fly fished off and on for about 50 years, but only gotten real serious about it in the last 10 years or so.

Latest posts