Latest time to plant clover

Mackie889

It varies by seed variety, some seeds are smaller and weigh less, ive got 130k seed count in 37ishlb bags and 120k seed count in 45lb bags. Most of your "unbroken" bags of that weight range will be pretty close to normal per acre ranges. I'd just go heavier, say a 50lb bag 3 or 4 per acre. Most bags should have a seed count on them for beans. Or just go at say 50lbs per 1/4 to 1/3 acre. Now they will still demolish 50lbs even in a small area, my prime range for way overrates is 2 acres (doesnt have to be 2 solid acres, say 2 total planted acres in a 20 acre area). Even if you got 20-30 deer in there close to a million seed count, that's just a lot of bites for them to over come. Some, hopefully alot make it to maturity, in the event they get to thick you can always run a plow through them and make your own rows if you want standing beans through the season. I doubt you'll have to do that but say you get into it and 2 months after planting they hang up on the growth stage from being to thick I'd plow them into rows. It'll give more nutrients to make seed to the plants left standing. It doesn't always work, I put 150lbs in 1/3 acre first weekend in August and I might have about 20 soybean plants left in that spot, but there's nothing else even remotely close to compete with the beans in that spot. Sprayed pine forest and not even a muscadine vine growing withing 500 yards. Just some dog fennel. It's a work in progress
Once again great info and thanks for all of the time you've spent w/ my question. I did check the 50# bag of soybeans that I got delivered a few days ago and they are "forage" beans. I didn't know the difference between forage and regular, but now I do thanks to you. I ordered them to throw a few pounds in w/ my fall / winter mix ("buck buffet" from Hancock seed). I usually throw in I/C peas with my fall / winter mix, but I thought I'd try this instead and keep the rest of the bag to plant in Spring. Sounds like you have a great piece of property that you are working on. I miss my old hunt club which was made up of thousands of acres of planted pines. My property is basically agricultural land where they plant everything they could (same with the properties around me). There aren't acres and acres of pines for the deer to bed in. There are smallish patches of cover here and there. I wasn't even going to buy the property because of a lack of deer sign. I knew the genetics of Brooks County, though and also saw a pic of a nice buck killed a couple years earlier on the farm so knew it had potential. I took a chance and am glad I bought it because I am seeing more sign and getting more pics of both does and buck bachelor groups this summer that are using the property. We have only killed 4 deer in the 3 years I've owned it ... could have killed many others, but are trying to increase the deer population. Anyways, I am going on and on ... thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate it!

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Once again great info and thanks for all of the time you've spent w/ my question. I did check the 50# bag of soybeans that I got delivered a few days ago and they are "forage" beans. I didn't know the difference between forage and regular, but now I do thanks to you. I ordered them to throw a few pounds in w/ my fall / winter mix ("buck buffet" from Hancock seed). I usually throw in I/C peas with my fall / winter mix, but I thought I'd try this instead and keep the rest of the bag to plant in Spring. Sounds like you have a great piece of property that you are working on. I miss my old hunt club which was made up of thousands of acres of planted pines. My property is basically agricultural land where they plant everything they could (same with the properties around me). There aren't acres and acres of pines for the deer to bed in. There are smallish patches of cover here and there. I wasn't even going to buy the property because of a lack of deer sign. I knew the genetics of Brooks County, though and also saw a pic of a nice buck killed a couple years earlier on the farm so knew it had potential. I took a chance and am glad I bought it because I am seeing more sign and getting more pics of both does and buck bachelor groups this summer that are using the property. We have only killed 4 deer in the 3 years I've owned it ... could have killed many others, but are trying to increase the deer population. Anyways, I am going on and on ... thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate it!

No problem bud, any time. I got a couple bags myself to throw in with some plots I'm doing tmrw or Saturday. Brooks is an awesome county to be in, I live next door in lowndes but my families farm is over in grady. It's mix ag and pines with 2 hardwood bottoms along some creeks. Good luck man

Edit to add the beauty of a lot of fields and not many woods is you have a blank slate and can shape that property exactly how you want it to look, travel corridors, staging areas, funnels, sky is the limit

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
I'm good with the timeline. Enjoying the work in progress on the farm! Going to plant some swamp chestnut oak seedlings in January ... talk about a long timeline until acorns! ?
Over 20 yrs ago I picked up some swamp chestnut acorns when I lived at Bonaire. Put them in pots and planted the trees the within the next yr or two.
Still haven't had an acorn. But they are beautiful trees

Mackie889

Over 20 yrs ago I picked up some swamp chestnut acorns when I lived at Bonaire. Put them in pots and planted the trees the within the next yr or two.
Still haven't had an acorn. But they are beautiful trees
Well that's a bummer! I have 50 swamp chestnut oaks and 50 sawtooth oaks on order from the forestry commission... hopefully some of those produce some acorns! Plan to plant them in clusters of 5 or 6 in several spots on my farm. ?

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Well that's a bummer! I have 50 swamp chestnut oaks and 50 sawtooth oaks on order from the forestry commission... hopefully some of those produce some acorns! Plan to plant them in clusters of 5 or 6 in several spots on my farm. ?
Now my sawtooths produced tween 5 and 7 yrs, forget which.