Life on earth is nothing but random dumb cosmic luck

660griz

If life was created by a lucky accident, how can the mechanisms needed for animal life be so complicated and delicate?

Here is an idea. Let's just say, "We don't know." Not so hard. Or, at least, "I don't know."
Doesn't really bother me not knowing. There are lots of things I don't know. I don't need to invent a mythical being to explain them.

Alternatively, there are lots of questions about God I could ask and there is no answer other than, God is mysterious.

WaltL1

If life was created by a lucky accident, how can the mechanisms needed for animal life be so complicated and delicate?

It's not like the DNA of a creature could evolve into a shape necessary to sustain life over a long period of time. Because if the DNA wasn't perfect in the first place, the organism would die. No evolution from dead things.
You have to be living to reproduce.

And if you're living, you're already perfect. Perfectly put together with a billion to the billionth power options that result in death and only one (or a few) options that result in life.

Consider this new animation that shows certain parts of a cell moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-uuk4Pr2i8

Tell me that's an accident.
Wouldn't the flip side to that be "if life was made on purpose why are the mechanisms needed for animal life so complicated and delicate"?
Especially the delicate part. Bacterium, probably the least complicated life form we know, can kill our complicated, delicate butts stone dead.
Please show the connection between "complicated and delicate" and "done on purpose".

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Wouldn't the flip side to that be "if life was made on purpose why are the mechanisms needed for animal life so complicated and delicate"?
Especially the delicate part. Bacterium, probably the least complicated life form we know, can kill our complicated, delicate butts stone dead.
Please show the connection between "complicated and delicate" and "done on purpose".

And, in another twist, we need bacterium to live too.

I think the interdendency of everything is a decent argument for a central source.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

Indeed the best designs are often the simplest. I understand your point.

Personally there's not a day I climb in my deer stand that I'm not awed by the beauty of how nature works. From the design of a pine needle to the annual mating of the deer, it's all just sooooooo perfectly tuned. That's what I thinks speaks to design; the fine tuning of the infinite to the infinitesimal.

WaltL1

Personally there's not a day I climb in my deer stand that I'm not awed by the beauty of how nature works. From the design of a pine needle to the annual mating of the deer, it's all just sooooooo perfectly tuned. That's what I thinks speaks to design; the fine tuning of the infinite to the infinitesimal.
I'm not convinced of the "fine tuning" part.
Our pollution, raping of the land, fires, animal starvation, plant and animal extinction and on and on.
Man and our "progress" has thrown a serious wrench into the "fine tuning" as far as nature and its beauty are concerned.
We just ignore that fact while we are admiring the pine needles. In fact those pine needles probably belong to a pine tree planted by man after he cut and burned away the trees, plants and bushes that were actually beneficial to nature.
It would be really interesting to be able to see what this earth would look like if modern man had never set foot on it.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I'm not convinced of the "fine tuning" part.
Our pollution, raping of the land, fires, animal starvation, plant and animal extinction and on and on.
Man and our "progress" has thrown a serious wrench into the "fine tuning" as far as nature and its beauty are concerned.
We just ignore that fact while we are admiring the pine needles. In fact those pine needles probably belong to a pine tree planted by man after he cut and burned away the trees, plants and bushes that were actually beneficial to nature.
It would be really interesting to be able to see what this earth would look like if modern man had never set foot on it.

I've often wondered that also. As beautiful as nature is to me I wish I could have seen it before man went and messed it up. I have a hard time seeing anything mankind has touched, built, or created that doesn't strike me as a scab.

660griz

I've often wondered that also. As beautiful as nature is to me I wish I could have seen it before man went and messed it up. I have a hard time seeing anything mankind has touched, built, or created that doesn't strike me as a scab.

Since you are a believer, sit back and really think about what you stated above.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

For those reasons specifically, I question all religion.

drippin' rock

Here's a thought, if we are part of God's design and perfect plan, then everything we do, from genocide to cutting down the last chestnut tree is part of that plan. Since we are part of nature, everything we do is natural.

660griz

SFD, read BH and DR's post and you will see my points. Or, the points I was trying to get you to see.

atlashunter

Not so finely tuned of course for the 99% of all species that once existed and now don't.