LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoe

strothershwacker

I've got a tall pair that I wear for swamp boots. I use bowstring wax on the seams. Watertight! They also double as my snake boots in early season. Im sitting here in my lil' slip on LLBean rubber bottom shoes now. Wear 'em bout every day. Great products!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've got a tall pair that I wear for swamp boots. I use bowstring wax on the seams. Watertight! They also double as my snake boots in early season. Im sitting here in my lil' slip on LLBean rubber bottom shoes now. Wear 'em bout every day. Great products!

I might trust my tall ones against a copperhead or small cottonmouth, but not a canebrake and surely not a diamondback. The leather is just not thick enough. They are a comfortable boot though.

Davexx1

I have three pair of the 10" uninsulated LLBean boots and one pair with the goretex and thinsulate. I rarely wear the insulated boots as they are too tight.

I wear a light or medium weight Smartwool sock with these boots all year long and am comfortable except in cold temps. If working or hunting in direct sun, the rubber can get hot.

Each of the uninsulated boots has been resoled at least twice. Trapping in the saw palmetto, briars, and swamps in Florida is hard on the stitching, but the company can/will fix them. They used to fix/restitch them for free. If the rubber bottoms are wore out, they will put new rubber bottoms on your leathers for $39 or $41. When they do that, they also include a new set of insoles and laces. One pair of my uninsulated boots is the 10" dark colored bison leather boots. It was said the bison leather was softer and more comfortable than the regular Bean boot that is made with cowhide.

Snake proof? I don't think so. We have a lot of cactus down here also. Many times I have been walking on the flats and have inadvertently walked into or kicked an unseen cactus and had a long cactus thorn go thru the toe of the rubber boot bottom and deep into my poor toe. I couldn't pull the cactus thorn out and couldn't pull the boot off because of the excruciating pain of the thorn embedded thru the boot and deep into my toe. It was a long slow very painful hobble back to the truck. Once there, biting a bullet and jerking the thorn out with a pair of vice grip pliers finally brought some relief.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It is recommended that in that environment you should travel with a Leatherman Tool.