Any “old school” hunters around?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
A handful of nettle and you check it with a stalk of mullein.

No, you use the mullein stalk for hand drill fire. It and yucca are two of the best materials for fire starting in my area. For both hand drill and bow drill. :)

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
No, you use the mullein stalk for hand drill fire. It and yucca are two of the best materials for fire starting in my area. For both hand drill and bow drill. :)

A Bic lighter & coleman fuel works good in my area..:bounce:

Ytka

I’m not sure I’d brag about not having sense enough to use modern equipment when it’s available. I ride an electric golf cart close to where I hunt. Why? Because I’ve got the money to get one and I can get to my spot faster than walking in. I also don’t have to spend 4 hours dragging a deer back to my truck. I use an AR a lot. Why? Because I know it in and out, it’s handy, and it works. I fired more than once with an AR at a deer one time. That was after what was a kill shot, but I wanted to anchor it. I also use a modern compound bow. Why? Because it works.

I’m not scared of work, but I’m not going to make something more difficult for the sake of making it difficult. I wouldn’t have a problem packing in and out on an elk hunt because there’s a good reason for it to be difficult. If you’re just doing it that way because that’s how you did it in 1975, why not really go old school and hunt them like they did in the Stone Age? The dern newfangled hunters with their synthetic clothes and bows...

Last edited:

shdw633

Times are not the same now

I have hunted for nearly 50 years and times back then were not the same as they are today. For one, I'm a whole lot older and my body is not what it was in my younger days and as such I don't have a problem using a crossbow or driving to my stand in a golf cart or dragging it out with an ATV, that's why they were invented, you don't think Lewis and Clark wouldn't have loved an ATV back in the day??? Two, getting permission to hunt on land was way easier back then. Today you have a heck of a time just finding a place to hunt. Not to say you can't always go to public land but, lets face it, it's not ideal and even those places to hunt aren't what they were way back when. Third is time, My place to hunt is over 300 miles away when I am not hunting in the midwest which is over 1000 miles away. I don't have the luxury of walking out my back door to hunt and as such my scouting time is limited and what time I do have is utilized for enhancing areas that I hunt, which you still have to scout for. If you have your own land congratulations and for those that have bought it I applaud you because it's expensive, too much for someone who is just looking for a place to hunt. What I would have to pay in taxes for enough land to hunt would put me on a real good lease with more land available for me to hunt. Is hunting easier today then it was 40 years ago, no, just different. We have different challenges today then we had 40 years ago; work schedules, getting land to hunt, time off, distance, expenses are all more in play today then they were forty years ago.

Finally, I didn't get to see the OP's trophies throughout his life. Some are fine with shooting small bucks and does, while others choose to hunt for trophy animals. Believe me, all the tools in the world does not make it easier for the latter, just more expensive. I could kill 8 deer in a week if I wanted to but I don't. I choose to manage the herd and try to harvest only mature animals as well as provide them the necessary nutrients to achieve their potential. Did we do that 40 years ago, no, but times have changed and I don't need to shoot every deer I see, I can afford to buy other meat should I choose to. That's not to say that others don't have the right to shoot what they want, just saying that's me and I'm good with that.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Mullein is the "Charmin" of natural materials.

Wow, there is something worth while.

I was wondering about mullein but still haven't got over the bull-nettle incident from camp between 3-4 th grade.

That was as old school as it comes. I like easy...most of the time.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'm with you. I don't understand why people think you have to kill a deer in appalachia with a stone spear you carved yourself, or you are a "real hunter." I wonder if these same people have jobs tarring roofs, hand digging ditches, hand picking cotton, or working for minimum wage at a restaurant, rather that working at other more highly skilled jobs that pay well, because the money just comes too easy for them in those other "new school" jobs.

I work a highly skilled job that pays an obscene salary. I've killed a lot of deer over the years too. I'm 66 years old and I still hump it in and hump it out on foot. Maybe that's enough to qualify me as "old school"? :huh: If it doesn't I don't care. I won't be thinking about this thread this weekend when I head into the woods to close out the season.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I work a highly skilled job that pays an obscene salary. I've killed a lot of deer over the years too. I'm 66 years old and I still hump it in and hump it out on foot. Maybe that's enough to qualify me as "old school"? :huh: If it doesn't I don't care. I won't be thinking about this thread this weekend when I head into the woods to close out the season.

Me either while I`m camping pre-1840 style. :D

The mtn man

The OP made mention that he was accustomed to hunting northern New England. Now he may be a troll, or he may have innocently set himself up for the thrashing and ridicule that he got from south east hunters who have a whole different hunting style. But understanding how new England hunters are all about early 20th century deer hunting tradition, I get where he was coming from, but I think he didn't realize he was too far south for folks to understand what he meant. It is not unusual to track a buck in northern Maine from daylight until late afternoon before you catch up to it for a shot, a 5 mile drag is not unheard of. They don't like to pack them out, reason being, you have one buck tag, and part of the traditional bragging rights up there are the dressed weight of your buck. If you quarter it up and pack it out, you can't prove that you have a 200 pound buck, also, I'm not even sure if it's legal. I do know that if you haul a dead deer in a vehicle up there it has to be visible, pickup bed, tailgate has to be down, if your in an SUV or car, it has to be on top.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
And yet he feels the need to list every gun he owns in his signature. Old people and computers kill me!

What's wrong with old people? We know how computers work. We started with punch cards. lol I don't think he's what you call old. Takes a smart older person to look at the profile.:) When you want to learn BASIC and actually give a machine a command instead of clicking a mouse, I will take us back to the 80s. haha

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Me either while I`m camping pre-1840 style. :D

He's new old school. You're actual old school.:bounce:

The OP made mention that he was accustomed to hunting northern New England. Now he may be a troll, or he may have innocently set himself up for the thrashing and ridicule that he got from south east hunters who have a whole different hunting style.

If I ever get to hunt in Maine I'll hunt the way they do it and I won't tell them their way is for pikers and the way we do it down here is the real old school way. As far as manly, menly, manly man hunting goes our mountain hunters down here are just as rugged as their guys are. Maybe more so. They got nothing on us, plaid shirts and blue jeans and 5 mile dead deer drags be hanged.:bounce:

The mtn man

He's new old school. You're actual old school.:bounce:

If I ever get to hunt in Maine I'll hunt the way they do it and I won't tell them their way is for pikers and the way we do it down here is the real old school way. As far as manly, menly, manly man hunting goes our mountain hunters down here are just as rugged as their guys are. Maybe more so. They got nothing on us, plaid shirts and blue jeans and 5 mile dead deer drags be hanged.:bounce:

Haha, that was my point.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The OP made mention that he was accustomed to hunting northern New England. Now he may be a troll, or he may have innocently set himself up for the thrashing and ridicule that he got from south east hunters who have a whole different hunting style. But understanding how new England hunters are all about early 20th century deer hunting tradition, I get where he was coming from, but I think he didn't realize he was too far south for folks to understand what he meant. It is not unusual to track a buck in northern Maine from daylight until late afternoon before you catch up to it for a shot, a 5 mile drag is not unheard of. They don't like to pack them out, reason being, you have one buck tag, and part of the traditional bragging rights up there are the dressed weight of your buck. If you quarter it up and pack it out, you can't prove that you have a 200 pound buck, also, I'm not even sure if it's legal. I do know that if you haul a dead deer in a vehicle up there it has to be visible, pickup bed, tailgate has to be down, if your in an SUV or car, it has to be on top.

I used to like to watch the Benoit Brothers hunting show. :)

The mtn man

It's like moving to North ga mountains from Florida and telling everyone they don't know how to live, everything needs to change to how things are in florida.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
IF the good Lord lets you live long enough, you will be one of those OLD people one day, your perspective will change immensely, I promise..::ke:

Yep, more than likely.

The mtn man

I used to like to watch the Benoit Brothers hunting show. :)

Yep, I once shot at buck in the allegash that lanny Benoit was after. I seen them come in behind me in Casper, the friendly suburban , but didn't recognize them, I didn't care either way. I had beat them to the track first.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
and part of the traditional bragging rights up there are the dressed weight of your buck. If you quarter it up and pack it out, you can't prove that you have a 200 pound buck, also, I'm not even sure if it's legal. I do know that if you haul a dead deer in a vehicle up there it has to be visible, pickup bed, tailgate has to be down, if your in an SUV or car, it has to be on top.

Yes! My cousins and their huntin buddies don't even know or care what I'm talking about when I go to Northern Maine and get excited like "awwww cool man that's gotta be a 140's maybe 150 inch buck man!!!!!"
They respond....."Oh he was 280 pounds there him!!!!"
That is how they compare bucks amoungst family and friends