Mad at myself

jlbjr210

I have been “hunting” sitting with my husband for several years and 2 years ago I go serious and started hunting myself. I have not shot any deer yet. I am kinda picky and I consider myself an ethical hunter. Anyways I got an opportunity yesterday at shooting my first deer a nice 8 pointer and I missed. I have been mad at myself ever since and can’t seem to get over it. I missed because I waited to long thinking I was gonna get a better shot at him and I didn’t. I guess it’s kinda like you live and you learn. Any suggestions how to not be angry at myself. I know I have a good aim and the gun is on point but I guess I just wanted to get a better shot to make sure and I completely missed. I keep picturing his antlers and that white tail going up the hill!!

dusty200001

So I may be a little slow here. Did you wait for the better shot and miss the opportunity or did you wait and take a not great shot? Couple years ago I started carrying a shooting stick with me to the stand. This is on private in the ladder stand and also in the climber on state land. I take it and stick it down my boot. It’s amazing how much more secure it will make the shot. Just an idea it may help your confidence on sending one down range.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have been “hunting” sitting with my husband for several years and 2 years ago I go serious and started hunting myself. I have not shot any deer yet. I am kinda picky and I consider myself an ethical hunter. Anyways I got an opportunity yesterday at shooting my first deer a nice 8 pointer and I missed. I have been mad at myself ever since and can’t seem to get over it. I missed because I waited to long thinking I was gonna get a better shot at him and I didn’t. I guess it’s kinda like you live and you learn. Any suggestions how to not be angry at myself. I know I have a good aim and the gun is on point but I guess I just wanted to get a better shot to make sure and I completely missed. I keep picturing his antlers and that white tail going up the hill!!
You want to know how many times I've missed a deer over the years? Anybody else who has hunted a lot and is honest about it? :)
Yep, it stings. Get back on that horse and ride it. You'll get the next one. Pick out a hair on the deer to aim at instead of aiming at the deer, too. Easier said than done, but it's the key.
I'd rather miss one or not take the shot as to cripple one by trying for a questionable shot any day. I let a really nice 10 go by at 30 yards earlier this year because I couldn't get a shot I liked at it.

DSGB

Get back out there and try again! Everyone has missed or made a bad shot at some point. At least it was a clean miss and you could get another chance at the same deer or even a better one.

Cool Hand Luke

Like you said, live and learn. That's why they call it hunting and not killing. All you can do is make sure your rifle is sighted in and you're confident in your shot. Get back out there and hunt!

basshappy

BANNED
@jlbjr210 it's in the past, move on. That sums it up. After you replay it a few times to see if you can learn from it, leave it behind you and move on.

It seems fortunate you had a clean miss. Rushing a shot because you realize the deer is moving away and it may be the only shot often results in poor shot placement. Next time exhale and watch it walk away without rushing a shot. Imagine if you had hit the deer poorly and wounded it how you would feel. Likely worse than being upset you waited for a better shot that never presented itself.

Self discipline - being able to let it go (the deer) is an attribute/quality worth having. It sets hunters apart. You may not see that deer again, but you will see other deer and have a better shot that you know is ethical.

Remember, life is 90% mental - how you filter what you see and hear. Spin this experience within your mind so that you feel good about waiting for a better shot, a little grr that you took a poor shot, and happy that deer presented itself so you got to watch it in person :)

Last edited:

jlbjr210

So I may be a little slow here. Did you wait for the better shot and miss the opportunity or did you wait and take a not great shot? Couple years ago I started carrying a shooting stick with me to the stand. This is on private in the ladder stand and also in the climber on state land. I take it and stick it down my boot. It’s amazing how much more secure it will make the shot. Just an idea it may help your confidence on sending one down rang

So I may be a little slow here. Did you wait for the better shot and miss the opportunity or did you wait and take a not great shot? Couple years ago I started carrying a shooting stick with me to the stand. This is on private in the ladder stand and also in the climber on state land. I take it and stick it down my boot. It’s amazing how much more secure it will make the shot. Just an idea it may help your confidence on sending one down range.
I waited to see if I could get a better shot and after realizing he is just moving further away from me I took a shot and missed him altogether. Now that I am reading a few of the comments I am glad I missed him because I really would have felt horrible if I just injured him. I will definitely consider taking a shooting stick with me.

jlbjr210

@jlbjr210 it's in the past, move on. That sums it up. After you replay it a few times to see if you can learn from it, leave it behind you and move on.

It seems fortunate you had a clean miss. Rushing a shot because you realize the deer is moving away and it may be thebonly shot often results in poor shot placement. Next time exhale and watch it walk away without rushing a shot. Imagine if you had hit the deer poorly and wounded it how you would feel. Likely worse than being upset you waited for a better shot that never presented itself.

Self discipline - being able to let it go (the deer) is an attribute/quality worth having. It sets hunters apart. You may not see that deer again, but you will see other deer and have a better shot that you know is ethical.

Remember, life is 90% mental - how you filter what you see and hear. Spin this experience within your mind so that you feel good about waiting for a better shot, a little grr that you took a poor shot, and happy that deer presented itself so you got to watch it in person :)
Thank you for the response. I am taking it to heart and you have just given me the “oh ok moment” I needed. I feel much better now. I will be back at it in the rain after work today.

SwampMoss

You are not alone, we have all been there. Just get back out and go hunting. Just try to remember to pick a spot on the deer and aim at that spot. Whenever most people miss it is because they were shooting at the whole deer and not a specific spot.

Grunt-n-bleat

It has happened to all of us before.
We all kick ourselves wondering what happened.
Most of the time, for me anyway, I rush the shot.
When that adrenaline dumps into your nervous system, things often go haywire. Just remember to control your breathing and your brain.
Aim small, miss small.
Happens to us all.

specialk

been chasing and obsessed with these things for nearly 50yrs.....i let a nice one ''get by'' opening day....won't the first and won't be the last.....keep digging, your's will come....

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Good advice above.

I have been chasing these mystical magical critters since 1968. It happens, you miss sometimes. Just get back out there and get the next one.

Good Luck !!!

Kev

I’ve missed and made bad shots before. I use to dwell on it for weeks. I ruined a chip shot at a big buck a few weeks ago. I was very angry at myself but it’s the past. The key is learning from mistakes, moving on, and going after another

DynamicDennis

It's not all about the kill. You will continue to learn and grow as a hunter the longer you do it. For sure it will not be the last time you will make a mistake, but just take a mental note and use that to fuel the fire to not make the same mistake again. Just gotta get back on your horse, still have over a month of hunting left!! Redemption will also make that feeling go away a lot faster.

krizia829

Don't take it personal is the first thing. The way I see it is that it's better to miss clean vs wounding a deer and not finding/killing it.

It happens to all of us at some point. I've missed like 3 deer with archery and once that I can remember with rifle. But I have also hit 2 bucks with bow and arrow that I had blood and never found. That was devastating to me.

Just get back out there. You'd be surprised how many times they can come back around. Hey, maybe even a bigger one is around. Have patience, you will experience many different emotions in the woods.

I also went like 3-4 years without seeing a single deer which is rare but I was much younger so I'm sure it's my mistake as a newbie on my own. Now I see deer in almost every sit and it's easier to pass on deer as well.

Good luck!!

chrislibby88

Happens to the best of us. And just when you have a few seasons when everything goes right you’ll do it again. No advice on how to get over it. I’m still mad at myself for deer that I’ve missed or worse, hit and lost in recent years.