Buck Shoals Youth Hunt

Jeetdawg

Wanted to share some information on the most recent Buck Shoals youth hunt. First of all, the DNR does a fantastic job setting this hunt up on a beautiful piece of property. The quota hunt is limited to 12 kids and each kid can shoot one deer of their choosing. They setup 12 of the Redneck Hunting Blinds and the kids draw for their stand number on Friday night. As has been most of the fall, the weather this past weekend was very warm and limited deer movement overall. My son and I had an awesome time, saw deer every sit (saw a stud of a buck the second morning but couldn’t shoot because of trees/deer walking directly away) and watched the early signs of their rut kicking off with chasing. This was my youngest sons last youth hunt and wish I had found this place sooner.

As a suggestion to new parents/grandparents….the day your newborn’s SS# arrives, set them up an account through the DNR and start collecting points for every hunt available each year. We got to experience some great youth hunts over the years because of me putting in for priority points when they were babies. Additionally, all three of my boys have double digit point totals for all the adult hunts now because of me acquiring them over the years. Just wanted to pass on the info to other folks so you can maximize the short time you have with your kids.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
My boy turns 8 in December and has points for everything that DNR gives points for. I'm gonna put him in for the Buck Shoals hunt next year since it's less than 5 miles from the house. How many points did it take to draw?

Jeetdawg

My boy turns 8 in December and has points for everything that DNR gives points for. I'm gonna put him in for the Buck Shoals hunt next year since it's less than 5 miles from the house. How many points did it take to draw?
I think he had 4 pts when I put in for the hunt. The second hunt is right at the start of the rut (as I’m sure you know). Super easy hunt since they set everything up for you with blinds, chairs and even shooting bags for the windows that come with the stand. Easiest hunt I’ve ever been on

Latest posts