Looking at GMC Terrain

sinclair1

No idea. Nephew got a lemon but that doesn’t mean anything. Seems like a transmission issue or something.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
No personal experience, but from everything I've read on here... don't buy anything that hasn't been out at least 10 years... giving them time to work out the bugs they used to before put'n something on the road.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
My wife has a ‘21 Elevation edition. It has been a great vehicle so far. Gets 28ish mpg and has never been in the shop.

transfixer

Anyone got 1st hand experience?
Look nice, price looks decent.
Just wonder about real world experiences.

Any of those in the last couple of years will likely have one of the newer transmissions, untested and unproven, but I'm already hearing of issues, the ones 5 or 6 years old or older seem to be decent engine wise, the transmissions are good for 100k to 150k depending on how they're driven, city or highway, they suffer from the same programming issues the rear wheel drive GM's suffer from, designed for maximum fuel mileage, not for maximum dependability or durability

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I owned an earlier Equinox, very reliable vehicle. Only in the shop for regular maintenance.

GeorgiaGlockMan

We had bought a terrain for my daughter when she was in college. 2010ish. I think. 20k never wrecked.

Last gmc that I will ever buy. That vehicle was a looser in every department. Makes me mad to even see one on the road...okay more surprised than mad BUT I hate a gmc terrain with all my heart.

Redbow

My neighbor's Chevy Silverado a few years old the tranny went south at 100k miles. He had it rebuilt to the tune of 5500 bucks. I never thought I would ever seen that kind of price for rebuilding an automatic tranny. That was a huge blow for a young married couple just starting out in life.

transfixer

My neighbor's Chevy Silverado a few years old the tranny went south at 100k miles. He had it rebuilt to the tune of 5500 bucks. I never thought I would ever seen that kind of price for rebuilding an automatic tranny. That was a huge blow for a young married couple just starting out in life.

That is a little higher than normal, most transmission shops charge in the $4500-$5000 range, some a less than $4500, if he got a GM reman or something like a Jasper reman that might be why it was higher, its almost always cheaper and better to have your original rebuilt,

A rebuild on the Terrain or Equinox style transmissions will usually run between $3500-$4000

Redbow

That is a little higher than normal, most transmission shops charge in the $4500-$5000 range, some a less than $4500, if he got a GM reman or something like a Jasper reman that might be why it was higher, its almost always cheaper and better to have your original rebuilt,

A rebuild on the Terrain or Equinox style transmissions will usually run between $3500-$4000
My neighbor got a very reliable tranny shop in Jacksonville NC to rebuild his transmission. Mr Crom the owner of the shop does good work he has been rebuilding transmissions for 40 years. But he has always been higher on his work than most anyone else. Yes, my neighbor had his original tranny rebuilt.

Darien1

One of those you tube mechanics who often lists cars or trucks you shouldn't buy or ones you should buy says those GMC's are on the no buy list. He always recommends to go with the Toyota version of what ever you want. I just got a 4 Runner with 110 K on it and it is like new and I expect to get another 150K out of it with no major problems.

earlthegoat2

My sister had one and as with most here she will never buy American again….just because of that one :ROFLMAO:

Eh well. I am fine with my 2000-2008 models. Any make. Any model. Bulletproof as far as I am concerned.

sinclair1

One of those you tube mechanics who often lists cars or trucks you shouldn't buy or ones you should buy says those GMC's are on the no buy list. He always recommends to go with the Toyota version of what ever you want. I just got a 4 Runner with 110 K on it and it is like new and I expect to get another 150K out of it with no major problems.
Scotty was a Toyota or die guy on YouTube but the 2024s are getting a no buy from Scotty Kilmer. Maybe he will retire because he is annoying.