*Looking for a New Venue for Spring Fling* Help Please

JROESEL

I keep hearing this. That's a shame. West Point was always pretty technical but when you had it dialed in it was hard to beat anywhere in the south.
West Point is not what it was back in the 90’s for sure, but it’s as clean as it’s been in a long time, I’ve been on the lake/river since I was four, so that would’ve been 1987, still fish it regularly, the large mouth are doing great, there’s several tournaments that took right at twenty pounds to win, you just hear a lot about the large mouth being down, because of the pressure it gets from clubs from everywhere, you can’t come to Westpoint and fish it one day or two for a tournament and bad mouth the lake, if you speak with guys that fish it regularly, you will start hearing another story, I caught two five pounders last week, I’ve caught a lot of personal best out of that lake/river, it will be the lake that I raise my two young children on, people need to stop worrying about the large mouth, and start worrying about all the silt coming into the lake/river, I’ve seen it drastically change in the last five years, there’s millions yards of silt entering, and nothing is doing about it, I bet in ten years, you’ll have to put in at highland just to run up the river, because every other ramp will be silted in, if the COE doesn’t figure something out

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, no largemouth in West Point. Everyone keep on driving south.

Seriously, I wouldn't recommend it for Cletus and the Spring Fling. Those of us who fish it regular can go out and have a great day, but it would be a tough deal for a group that wasn't familiar.

Callaway Gardens has a great lake, but the pricing and accommodations may be cost prohibitive.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Yep, no largemouth in West Point. Everyone keep on driving south.

Seriously, I wouldn't recommend it for Cletus and the Spring Fling. Those of us who fish it regular can go out and have a great day, but it would be a tough deal for a group that wasn't familiar.

Callaway Gardens has a great lake, but the pricing and accommodations may be cost prohibitive.

A man has to have some deep pockets to fish at Callaway these days. I bet those big old bream are still there though....