looking for help on shooting form

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
the best advice i can give you(hope i dont catch alot of flack over this) is to find G. Fred Asbell books and read them and put it to use the man knows what he is talking about.

pigpen

Asbell books/videos are outstanding. He does a great job breaking it down!! I enjoy getting his form tips/articles from the TBM too!!

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
If ya got a vidio camera, have someone shoot ya, from a couple of different angles,(ouch !!) you know what I mean, ;) then post it here, then we can see what your doing right or wrong and help ya out a little. Unless your with someone watching you, it's kinda hard to tell with out seeing your form.
Advise above was right on with the Asbell books, Traditional Bowhunter mag has him featured in every issue. Byron Ferguson's, "Become The Arrow" is another good book too, As well as Sam Fadalla's (sp) teaching on the subject.
I just sent off a good book to one of the tradgangers to read, if I had another one, I would deffenitly send it your way. Wished I could do more for ya.
Have you been shooting, can you tell us some of the things you think are wrong, ie. arrows going one way or another, bow doing something weird or ?
If you have'nt started shooting yet, then reading any of the refferences above is a real good way to start.
Asking for help or about anything on shooting, "IS NOT" a dumb question, that is how we all learn. There are a lot of bow savy folks here, that I'm sure are more then willing to help anyone out.
Keep in touch !
Jerald

jallman

Thanks for the response, going to buy those books.Also I would like to know more about where in Ga.,archery meets are held

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
there is a shoot held around gainesville every month. i don't remember the name of the group maybe someone else does, also there will be the howard hill southeast trad shoot over in birmingham Al. june 1st, 2nd and 3rd. it will be a blast check them www.howardhillse.com

choctawlb

Fred G. Asbell is the man when it comes to shooting form, ect. You can't go wrong with his books or video's. I have had his shooting Instictive book for years, and still read over it afew times each year.
Ken

Fatboy

jallman I see that you are from McDonough.I live in McDonough also.Maybe we can get together and shoot some.I'm not the greatest but I've been doing it for years so maybe I can help.

Greg Womack

WildmanSC

Ricky Welch Videos

The best shooting form advice I have seen has been on the 2 Ricky Welch shooting videos. He even does some hog hunting on one of them.

Be prepared to be humbled, the man is a shooting machine. Humility is a great teacher though.

Bill

markland

We have a TBG shoot up in Ranger on June 9th you should look at coming to and Bad to the Bone Archery range here at Muzzy always sets out some trad stakes and has a few guys that shoot here. Plus, if you ever make it up to Cartersville, come out to Muzzy and I would be glad to spend a little time with you and share some expereince and talk with you about tuning and form. Mark

jallman

Thanks for all the help, once my sons baseball season is over,going to try to contact a few of you guys.also my 2 sons are into archery,they are 8-10.Again thanks

Mudfeather

Asbells book and tapes are a great place to start BUT I would caution.......You don't have to follow him exactly!!

His way helped me get started on targets BUT was not the best for me shooting live critters. I modified it and you probably will too.

Mark's avatar is the logo for The Traditional Bowhunters of GA..which is a member and good hunter also!!!

TTom

Personally I have found it helpfull to do a 3-4 point checklist as I draw during practice.
Pick Spot (smallest thing I can make out clearly)
Grip (No death grip on the bow open hand)
Elbow (drawing arm level with front shoulder)
Anchor (When the finger touches the lip)
And the arrow is gone.

The most important thing is that you shoot consistantly the same way. I've seen good shooters with bad form but never a good form who was a bad shooter. So it makes consistancy easier.