Looks like the US military might ditch the 5.56 223 in favor

lampern

of a .27 caliber round developed by Sig Sauer.

Anybody know if this is true?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/1/20/277-sig-fury-an-inside-look/

In developing a system for entry into the U.S. Military's Next-Generation Squad Weapons trials, SIG Sauer has spent much R&D time, energy and money into optimizing the round required for these future firearms. One specification required for NGSW entrants was the use of a 6.8 mm round, and SIG's answer was a specially designed hybrid case for the bullet. Commercially, this unique cartridge design came to be known as the 277 SIG Fury.

transfixer

They've been testing that round in a couple of new guns for the last couple of years I believe, there are a few videos on YT about the round, its a caseless round more or less, using some sort of polymer material

sleepr71

What will it do that a 6.5G,or 6.8SPC won’t do ? It sounds so overpressured that throat erosion & BCG parts will be measured in boxes of ammo fired!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

rosewood

I read it was one of the cartridges in the running, but hadn't heard if it had been selected yet.

rosewood

They've been testing that round in a couple of new guns for the last couple of years I believe, there are a few videos on YT about the round, its a caseless round more or less, using some sort of polymer material
I thought it was a bi-metal case. Steel base to handle up to 80K psi and then brass on top.

rosewood

Only thing I am wondering, how will that work out with NATO. I thought we had standardized our basic fighting round with NATO.

transfixer

I thought it was a bi-metal case. Steel base to handle up to 80K psi and then brass on top.

I think there are multiple variations of the ammo, by different companies, the one I remember seeing was on the Tactical Rifleman channel on YT, made by Textron I believe

doomtrpr_z71

There's 3 rifles, 3 different ammunition, all 6.8, true velocity has a polymer cases 6.8 that will most likely win, sig has the 277 fury with a bimetal case, and Winchester has a 6.8 telescopic round. All are 80k psi rounds... supposedly

Redbow

Kind of old news. It really don't matter because with the recent Communist take over, we won't have a military for long.
Oh yeah they will keep a military to whip you and I in line to fit their way of thinking. And send in the blue hats with them to make sure we comply. And to disarm all the law abiding people, the criminals don't matter.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Whassamatter, they don't want people picking up their rocks and throwing them back?

Latest posts