Lost elderly man saved by Ridgetec Lookout cellular camera photos

Anthony61

BANNED
This important story was passed on to me about an older gentleman who decided to take a walk in the North Carolina woods. Seems his path went past some trail cameras. These were cell cams and the owner was at home and basically witnessed this fellows actions and could tell he was befuddled and seemed to be lost. Also his actions indicated some possible health problems. The cam owner contacted the authorities and gave them the GPS locations of the cams which resulted in an adventure that was successful and this gentleman made it back home with their help a little weary from wear.

Here is the story as described to me by the owner of the cameras. Attached are the photos taken and uploaded to the app of the the lost elderly man. (I did not get the video clips - too large to email I think). I can add the video clips if someone wants to see them.

I simply left off his last name. From "David" in his own words below:

Ok so here is the story...

My hunting leases are 2 hours away from my house. One of the leases is in Surry County NC near the VA line and it is a very large, remote, and rugged tract of land. I follow the Surry County NC Sheriff's Office page on Facebook and before bed Thursday night, I read a post about a missing elderly man who had been diagnosed with the early stages of Alzheimer’s in the Lowgap area of Surry County that was last seen on Tuesday, August 17th. I recognized the address of the missing person as being near our leased land in Surry County. I have several Ridgetec cell cameras there and Friday morning after getting out of a meeting at work around 9:45, I looked at my phone and noticed I had some new picture notifications. I went ahead and checked them and I had a picture from behind of an elderly gentleman who looked in distress. I pulled up the description of the post I had read on Facebook and sure enough he matched the description. I immediately called the Sheriff's office and they transferred me to one of the detectives on the case. While I was talking to him and giving him my information, I got pics of the elderly man again on another Ridgetec cell camera. Because I pictures on two cameras I knew which direction he was heading and knowing this property and access points very well, I was able to quickly give the detective GPS coordinates and a map of how to get the search and rescue teams to him very fast. Within an hour they had rescued him. He was heading deeper in the woods towards a very rugged and remote section, and I fear had I not gotten those cell pictures he may not have survived. The detectives called me afterwards and said he had a head injury from a fall and they took him to the hospital to get checked out but said he should be ok, but also said these cell pictures probably saved his life because search crews were not looking in this area. I have attached pictures and a couple videos.

This is the press release and post I saw on Thursday evening:

Surry County Sheriffs Office

August 18 at 8:48 PM

On August 18, 2021, the Surry County Sheriff’s Office responded to Cabin Trail, Lowgap, North Carolina in reference to a missing 75 year old male. Deputies arrived on the scene and started searching for the male individual. The male has been identified as Robert Lee Powell (white / male, 75), also known as Bob or Bobby.

Mr. Powell was last seen on August 17, 2021. Mr. Powell was last seen wearing long pants, blue zip-up rain jacket with Mountain Hardware embroidered on the rain jacket. Mr. Powell’s last known direction of travel is unknown.

The Sheriff’s Office requested the assistance of the Surry County Emergency Medical Service’s, Mount Airy Rescue Squad, and Skull Camp Volunteer Fire Department. If anyone has any information to assist with the investigation is encouraged to contact the Surry County Sheriff’s Office at (336) 401-8900

Here is the press release after the rescue:

Surry County Sheriffs Office

August 19 at 12:46 PM

Press Release

from

Sheriff Steve C. Hiatt

*Missing Person Located*

On August 18, 2021, the Surry County Sheriff’s Office responded to Cabin Trail, Lowgap, North Carolina in reference to a missing 75 year old male. Deputies arrived on the scene and started searching for the male individual. The male has been identified as Robert Lee Powell (white / male, 75), also known as Bob or Bobby.

On August 19, 2021 and after a day and half of searching, Mr. Powell was located by search teams in a heavily wooded area. Mr. Powell was found alive and in stable condition. Surry County Emergency Services treated and transported Mr. Powell to North Carolina Wake Forest Baptist Hospital. Sheriff Steve C. Hiatt would like to thank all assisting agencies involved with the search and very appreciative for Mr. Powell being found safe.

All agencies involved in the search includes, Surry County Emergency Services, Surry County Communications (E-911), Mount Airy Rescue Squad, Skull Camp Volunteer Fire Department, Dobson Rescue Squad, Elkin Rescue Squad, Alleghany Volunteer Rescue Squad, NC Volunteer Rescue Pilots, North Carolina Wildlife Resource Commission, North Carolina State Bureau of Investigations, North Carolina Highway Patrol Aviation, and friends and neighbors that assisted as well.

*The Sheriff’s Office would like to thank a Facebook follower for information he provided after seeing our post and reviewing his game cameras. That information assisted in placing searchers in the area, locating Mr. Powell.*

Attachments

• IMG_5530.JPG
    IMG_5530.JPG
    538.6 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_5531.JPG
    IMG_5531.JPG
    544.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_5532.JPG
    IMG_5532.JPG
    541.6 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_5533.JPG
    IMG_5533.JPG
    540.1 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_5537.JPG
    IMG_5537.JPG
    537.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_5538.JPG
    IMG_5538.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_5539.JPG
    IMG_5539.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_5540.JPG
    IMG_5540.JPG
    454.8 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Anthony,

This is about one of the most amazing stories that I have read about in a longtime. I agree with others that this gentleman would most probably NOT survived without the intervention of this camera owner.

These end results are awesome and I have always loved your fantastic photos and videos etc that you have shown here on GON also. If I had started out using Ridge-Tec cams, I probably would be completely broke by now after all of these years as I only have used about a boat-load of the non-cell trail cams. I do love your Ridge-Tec cams for sure.

Thanks again for giving us this information as it does tend to give a different perspective on things such as living or dying because that is exactly what happened in this case.

six

Wow, thanks for sharing. Gives me goose bumps to think what the outcome would have been without the cameras.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Here is my official thank you to Ridgetec Cellular Cameras on behalf of the gentleman whose life was likely saved by their existence and use. I understand that Ridgetec is a Georgia Company and one we can be justifiably proud of.

ucfireman

Great story. Good job!
Great video's off those cams, are they expensive.?

That’s amazing, you need to contact ridgetech and let them know this story, that’s awesome, you saved somebody’s husband, dad, grandpa, etc, nice job

Maybe get some free air time or a camera.
Even if not great publicity for the company.

That is just a great story to start the week out. That should be reported to the news.

No murder, no racist rant, no hate and a happy ending.

Wait they wont report about that.
They would change it to something like "a hunter using trail cams to make killing animals easier was able to help officials locate a lost man. Luckily he was found before the hunters mistook him for an innocent animal."

And last, Amazing something good came from facebook. Go figure.