2 dead at Echeconnee Creek

HacksawJimWagons

So, i was on my way to Atlanta yesterday morning, and when crossing Echeconnee Creek on highway 247, my wife and i saw rescue vehicles, search teams, dive teams, news crews, and wildlife officials on the scene. On my way home, 4 hours later, they were still there. On my way back to Atlanta this morning, they were still there, and again on my way home about 4 hours later, still there, now accompanied by the RedCross.

here's the story.

Fox24 News
http://www.fox24.com/news/local/47127167.html

A woman is dead and a man missing after a boating accident Saturday morning at Echeconnee Creek in Houston County.

Corporal Robert Stillwell with the Department of Natural Resources tells FOX 24 News the two people were in a small 10-foot aluminum boat not made for larger bodies of water.

He says they were about to go fishing when the boat capsized around 11 am.

Houston County Coroner Daniel Gilpin tells FOX 24 the victims are 64-year-old Barbara Thomas and 66-year-old William Thomas, who are married.

Stillwell says the Houston County Fire Department searched the river for Mr. Thomas, but says rainfall has caused the river to rise and a fairly strong current is interfering with search efforts. He says the river is 10-12 feet deep in the middle.

Stillwell says officials from the Houston County Sheriff’s Office, Houston County Fire Department, Bibb County Sheriff’s Office, Macon-Bibb County Fire Department and Department of Natural Resources are all assisting in the investigation.

Horrible. The thing is, i've fished this creek my whole life. You can cast your line clear across it from bank to bank. My uncle built a platform and ropeswing back there in the 50's. Kids used to swim this creek. But in the past ten years or so, this is probably the 4th time i've heard of either a drowning, or a body found, not only at this same creek, but at this same location at the highway 247 overpass.

I guess i'm trying to say, be careful fellas. No matter how well you know a body of water, and how innocent and forgiving it might look. Suit up, and be safe.

I'm not sure how it happened, but i imagine they were trying to board the johnboat, with the current pushing to the side of the boat. I've had it happen to me when i was a kid, and learned quick to never board a row boat that isnt paralell with the current, but thats neither here nor there.

Just be careful guys.

meeks88

definately a sad situation. dont take this the wrong way but if im 66 and my wifes 64 i couldnt think of a better way to spend our last moments together.

HacksawJimWagons

^^i dont think drowning is a good way to spend your last moments together...

But anyhow, the update is....

Turns out the wife couldnt swim, and was wearing a life vest but didnt have it buckled. She was also inexperienced in entering/exiting the boat, and it capsised as she was boarding. The creek is up a few feet, and has a strong under current, and witnesses say it pulled her right out of her vest. I'm not sure if the husband has been found or not.

its sad to think that it could have been avoided with a few basic, and safe boating practices.

Dont take the water for granted fellas. It can kill you.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Sad stuff right there. My Prayers are added for their family and friends.

Lawnmowerman

^^i dont think drowning is a good way to spend your last moments together...

But anyhow, the update is....

Turns out the wife couldnt swim, and was wearing a life vest but didnt have it buckled. She was also inexperienced in entering/exiting the boat, and it capsised as she was boarding. The creek is up a few feet, and has a strong under current, and witnesses say it pulled her right out of her vest. I'm not sure if the husband has been found or not.

its sad to think that it could have been avoided with a few basic, and safe boating practices.

Dont take the water for granted fellas. It can kill you.

The Husband was found late yesterday evening.
Wife & Husband both drowned. Sad as it gets,,,::;

ArmyTaco

Yeah I passed it as well coming home yesterday. Sad thing is there is another spot to enter the creek not to far up under the rail road bridge than would have made it easier as its a solid ground to creek kinda deal. Could have been pushed off the bank very easily. I am sure you know where I am talking about Hacksaw....