Lost on WMA story

I left the house around 1 to hunt a WMA. What road do I take? Hwy 33!! I didnt even think bout that 100 mile yard sale :banginghe :banginghe

An hour and hour later I pull up the the WMA, sign in. I figure its early the dawgs are playing I'll ride over to a friends house that lives in the area and shoot the breeze with him for a spell.
After watching Ga get whooped I head to the store get a drank and a snack and head to the woods. Pull up to a parking spot gather my stuff and strike out thru the woods. Knowing the area is bad about snakes and seeing so many pictures as of late I'm keeping my eye on the ground.
Roughly about 250-300 yards my stand starts to clink. After adjusting the stand twice (the first time it was to tight) I look up and see two people hunting on the ground not 50 yards away facepalm:After giving them the "ooops, sorry wave" I head further in the woods. After walking about 500 more yards I find a good tree and settle in. Its a pretty spot and needless to say I'm excited. Its my first time hunting in my new climber and the spot is heavenly looking!
Well dark 30 comes and my excitement leaves. The heavenly spot didn't produce as much as a tree rat. Stand packed, flashlight out, bow in hand and I strike out back to the truck. After walking 300 or so yards I realize I haven't went far enough to my right and I'm kinda lost :hair: having studied the map I knew if i kept heading south I'd come up on a fence and could follow the fence back to a dirt road. If i wen to my right I would be heading in the direction of the truck but there was the chance of running into a pond. What did I do? Yup, "Im going to the right, its a shorter trip." Bad idea! I walk right to the pond, go figure.
After collecting my thoughts I figure the best idea is to head toward the fence and follow it outta this place. By this time my flashlight is acting the fool going from bright to dim to off. Smack it in my palm a few times and back to walking. After what seems like forever and 5 gallons of sweat later I make it to the fence. Never slowing down (almost in a jog after leaving the pond) I head toward the dirt road. I'm almost home free and out of this situation! Nope 1 more obstacle in my way. A muddy ditch bank that is grown up in stuff so thick you cant see the your feet. By this time me and The Good Lord have reconnected. After sliding down this ditch 2-3 times and dropping my bow in the mud I'm finally up the other side.
There it is a walking trail!! After walking down the trail about 50 yards I see a car going down the dirt road.

I make a b-line to the dirt road. Cross the ditch and AHHH firm ground again! Iv never been so happy to see a county maintained road in my life!! I make it back to the truck about pouring sweat and a little tired. Safe and sound!

Ill be back to this WMA but you can bet I know this place alot better then I did just a few hours before!

I hope you all get a laugh out of my poor planning and bad luck. I know everyone else iv told has got a good laugh at my expense.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
::ke: extra batteries & a back up flash light don't hurt none......... :rofl:

beginnersluck

Lol. I've been in your shoes before...especially in the dark. All it takes is a few feet off in one direction to turn into several hundred yards off your trail. You would be amazed at how the human body is "pushed" by the terrain. Obstacle in the way?? Go around it and next thing you know, you cant find your trail. Luckily not many areas around here would have you completely lost without coming to some sort of civilized improvement.

PappyHoel

One of the reason I don't like to hunt evenings.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Never been lost! Pretty confused for a few days.... But I made it out.

turkeykirk

How about a GPS unit? Lot of people swear by them. I'm not smart enough to use one. I use your stumble through the woods method!!

merc123

I got lost one time somewhere we hunt every year. I hunt the same stand area and exactly what was said happened. I went around tree that had fallen across the trail and got off course somehow and managed to end up in a thicket of 1" saplings. No biggie, the road is just right there so I push through the thicket for a good 10 minutes and finally had to call for help.

When I finally heard my buddy and saw the flashlight, I realized what I had done. I managed to do a complete u-turn and was walking away from the road and the truck. The 1" sapling thicket complete killed any sense of direction.

I try to stay in an area I know or close to a trail when I hunt in the evenings. Especially when hunting with a friend of mine. He walks and walks and I usually have to go find him.

Last edited:

7Mag Hunter

yep, been there done that.........Forgot my basic Land Nav training
from Good Ole Uncle Sam....Just in the woods right????

$20.00 compass....Take reading in the direction you are going
to hunt in the Am, and reverse it coming out at night......

lots easier......

you could also buy a GPS device and set waypoints to walk you
right out at night, even without a flashlight !!!!!!!!!!!1

mudracing101

Been there, done that, prob. will again. I've called for help one time they get there and the two of us get turned around and have to call for help.:rofl: I feel like i'm really good with direction but not that night.:rofl:

cpowel10

I left the house around 1 to hunt a WMA. What road do I take? Hwy 33!! I didnt even think bout that 100 mile yard sale :banginghe :banginghe
An hour and hour later I pull up the the WMA, sign in. I figure its early the dawgs are playing I'll ride over to a friends house that lives in the area and shoot the breeze with him for a spell.
After watching Ga get whooped I head to the store get a drank and a snack and head to the woods. Pull up to a parking spot gather my stuff and strike out thru the woods. Knowing the area is bad about snakes and seeing so many pictures as of late I'm keeping my eye on the ground.
Roughly about 250-300 yards my stand starts to clink. After adjusting the stand twice (the first time it was to tight) I look up and see two people hunting on the ground not 50 yards away facepalm:After giving them the "ooops, sorry wave" I head further in the woods. After walking about 500 more yards I find a good tree and settle in. Its a pretty spot and needless to say I'm excited. Its my first time hunting in my new climber and the spot is heavenly looking!
Well dark 30 comes and my excitement leaves. The heavenly spot didn't produce as much as a tree rat. Stand packed, flashlight out, bow in hand and I strike out back to the truck. After walking 300 or so yards I realize I haven't went far enough to my right and I'm kinda lost :hair: having studied the map I knew if i kept heading south I'd come up on a fence and could follow the fence back to a dirt road. If i wen to my right I would be heading in the direction of the truck but there was the chance of running into a pond. What did I do? Yup, "Im going to the right, its a shorter trip." Bad idea! I walk right to the pond, go figure.
After collecting my thoughts I figure the best idea is to head toward the fence and follow it outta this place. By this time my flashlight is acting the fool going from bright to dim to off. Smack it in my palm a few times and back to walking. After what seems like forever and 5 gallons of sweat later I make it to the fence. Never slowing down (almost in a jog after leaving the pond) I head toward the dirt road. I'm almost home free and out of this situation! Nope 1 more obstacle in my way. A muddy ditch bank that is grown up in stuff so thick you cant see the your feet. By this time me and The Good Lord have reconnected. After sliding down this ditch 2-3 times and dropping my bow in the mud I'm finally up the other side.
There it is a walking trail!! After walking down the trail about 50 yards I see a car going down the dirt road.

I make a b-line to the dirt road. Cross the ditch and AHHH firm ground again! Iv never been so happy to see a county maintained road in my life!! I make it back to the truck about pouring sweat and a little tired. Safe and sound!

Ill be back to this WMA but you can bet I know this place alot better then I did just a few hours before!

I hope you all get a laugh out of my poor planning and bad luck. I know everyone else iv told has got a good laugh at my expense.

If you took Hwy 33 through north Worth County then you went right through our property. I'm surprised I didn't run over some of the yard sale folks :cool:

If you took Hwy 33 through north Worth County then you went right through our property. I'm surprised I didn't run over some of the yard sale folks :cool:

I travel 33 alot. It was tempting to take out a few of them but I'm to purdy for jail.