Lost squirrel hunter at Cohutta

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Wonder if they brought in bloodhounds initially.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
According to FB, drones and cadaver dogs turned up nothing yesterday.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I’ve spent some time right in there and it’s beautiful but if you didn’t know where you were going you could surely get lost in there.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I’ve spent some time right in there and it’s beautiful but if you didn’t know where you were going you could surely get lost in there.

Any wood wise person knows if lost and are able to do one of two things 1) stay put build a shelter and a fire. 2) walk down hill you will eventually find a stream to follow or a road.

In that terrain following some of those creeks is a broken ankle waiting to happen.

I think I'll just set down near enough to have a good supply of water and light me a big old fire.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Any wood wise person knows if lost and are able to do one of two things 1) stay put build a shelter and a fire. 2) walk down hill you will eventually find a stream to follow or a road.
And yet woods wise people still get lost.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Not saying this is the case here....but years ago I had a buddy that went hunting alone like he always did. He was always happy and everybody loved him. But he had demons from his past. He took his own life on that mountain by hanging himself. I still hunt that mountain and its just strange being there.
I hope there is some closure from this particular case soon. He would have been found by now unless suspicious activity was involved. I could speculate all day long.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Not saying this is the case here....but years ago I had a buddy that went hunting alone like he always did. He was always happy and everybody loved him. But he had demons from his past. He took his own life on that mountain by hanging himself. I still hunt that mountain and its just strange being there.
I hope there is some closure from this particular case soon. He would have been found by now unless suspicious activity was involved. I could speculate all day long.
Dang. Sad to hear. I hope this man’s family doesn’t always have to wonder. Weird things can happen to even experienced woodsmen which is now that I’m a little older and a little bit smarter I don’t just strike out without telling anybody where I’m going to be anymore.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And yet woods wise people still get lost.
Not so much in the mountains. Flat places are where I get confused. There are three or four Subarubians get lost for days every year in the Shining Rock Wilderness near here. There's nowhere in there that I can't walk out of in half a day and hit a road by walking in a straight line.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Dang. Sad to hear. I hope this man’s family doesn’t always have to wonder. Weird things can happen to even experienced woodsmen which is now that I’m a little older and a little bit smarter I don’t just strike out without telling anybody where I’m going to be anymore.

Same here. I consider myself fairly good in the woods but I always let somebody know what stretch of woods I'll be in. It wasn't always like that but it is now that I've gotten some age on me.