Low Light Sights

BigBass123

Just running whatever pins came on the bow I’m using (free bow so no complaints at all about it) but I can’t see the pins during the first and last 20 minutes of shooting light.

That was a giant problem tonight, had a nice doe come in at 7:15. Range it at 30, draw back to take the shot. Look through my prep hole and I don’t see the pins.

Whole lot of movement on my part trying to find the pins, doe busted me while I was moving and took off.

Do different sight pins offer better visibility in low light conditions or is it roughly equal across brands?

GregoryB.

They make a universal sight light that screws into the frame on a lot of sights . And yes different sights use different filaments that very in brightness. I learned to shoot with both eyes open back in the 90’s because of the exact issue you had. With both eyes open I could see through the peep a lot better.

Hunter922

Rheostat sight light. Turned on low. Problem solved.....BUT... not getting a shot in bad light isn't the worst thing. Better than losing or wounding any deer.

Hillbilly stalker

As a bow hunter, you'll nearly have to write off those times of day. Target acquisition, peep alignment, pin brightness all become very very difficult.
As mentioned before, easy way to wound something.

I know it's not popular, but that's why bow hunting is more difficult.
I’ll also throw in there.…the tiny limbs and twigs you can’t see while your in the sights and it’s bout dark.

Long Cut

Montana Black Gold sights are by far the brightest in the industry.

Forget the lights for the sight housing, it will throw off your sight picture. You’re better off with a quality sight, shooting both eyes open. May need a larger diameter peep won’t hurt.

But as mentioned those last light shots can be iffy. Really depends on your eyes, setup and conditions for that evening.

Hunter922

Since we are adding..
One thing I continue to stress to my son and myself is that as light fades your target distance decreases with it. The last 15-20 minutes of hunting light is 20 yards and in only and continues to decrease as the light fades.. We've passed shots and deer most wouldn't but it's better than the alternative 100% of the time.

South Man

Agreed but having bow hunted for over 40 years when you get some age on you and your eyesight starts to diminish you need all the help you can get. I add sight lights on all my bows and granted I have had to use them only a few times, theyre theyre if I need that last bit of light