LSU's Honey Badger a Heisman Finalist

Les Miles

Banned
Five finalists named for Heisman

When No. 1 LSU Tigers and No. 2 Alabama Crimson Tide meet in the Allstate BCS Championship Game in New Orleans, there will be two Heisman Trophy finalists on the field.

LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu and Alabama running back Trent Richardson are among the five finalists for the Heisman, college football's most prestigious individual honor. They are joined by Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III and Wisconsin running back Montee Ball.

The finalists were announced Monday night on ESPN's "SportsCenter."

The 77th annual Heisman Memorial Trophy Award will be presented on Saturday in New York.

Griffin, a junior, has thrown for 3,998 yards and 38 touchdowns this season for Baylor, leading the Bears (9-3) to No. 12 in the BCS standings. They will play Washington in the Valero Alamo Bowl.

Griffin is the first Baylor player to be picked as a finalist. The school has never had a player finish better than fourth in the Heisman voting.

Luck, a senior who returned to Stanford for the 2011 season despite being regarded among the top pro prospects at his position, threw for 3,170 yards and 35 touchdowns for the Cardinal. Stanford, No. 4 in the BCS standings, will play Oklahoma State in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

Luck, the preseason favorite for the award, is a finalist for the second straight season.

Ball, a junior, has carried 275 times for 1,759 yards and 32 touchdowns, leading Wisconsin to the Big Ten championship and a berth in the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Vizio. He has scored 38 career touchdowns for Wisconsin and needs one more to match Barry Sanders' NCAA record.

Richardson, a junior, carried 263 times for 1,583 yards and 20 touchdowns, as the Crimson Tide lost just once on their way to the BCS National Championship Game.

Richardson is the second Alabama running back to be a finalist in the last three years. Former teammate Mark Ingram won the Heisman in 2009.

Mathieu, a sophomore nicknamed the Honey Badger, had two interceptions and 71 tackles on his way to being named the SEC's defensive player of the year for unbeaten LSU. He also returned 26 punts for an average of 16.2 yards per return and two touchdowns.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7320637/finalists-named-77th-annual-heisman-trophy

Congratulations to Tyrann Mathieu :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I believe he is one of the most exciting players in college football right now.
He continues to give LSU the jump-start at crucial times in games this year.

LanierSpots

He is certainly the most dynamic player in the NCAA. No doubt about that . He is a baller.

If he only was not a doper.
smoking-smiley.gif

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
People can say whatever they want, the badger is one heck of a football player.

golffreak

Too bad neither of them are going to win it

golffreak

You think Luck or RGIII will win it?

All of the usually reliable sites have RGIII running away with it. But, who knows? Although I thought Trent had it, I wasn't confident. And, TM's suspension will prevent him, I believe.

toolmkr20

I think it will come down to Luck and RGIII. The honey badger will have to wait another year I think. He is a very impressive player though. Good luck to him.

GAranger1403

I am a big time homer and think Richardson is the best overall back we have seen in a while. I would be happy if he won it but have to be honest here. RGIII is a special player and should win. The kid is without a doubt the best deep ball passer in my lifetime and completing 72% as well! Not to mention 4.3 speed!

LittleHolder

I would vote RG III!!! Impressive on and off the field.

Les Miles

Banned
RGIII would be my choice as well. He took Baylor to unprecedented heights this year with his abilities.

As much as I like Mathieu, his suspension is a serious knock on his character. Maybe being invited to New York for the ceremony will help him to realize that he needs to walk a straight line from now on.

Backcountry

my vote is trent richardson...to put up those numbers in the sec west is just too impressive.

Dudley Do-Wrong

I am a big time homer and think Richardson is the best overall back we have seen in a while. I would be happy if he won it but have to be honest here. RGIII is a special player and should win. The kid is without a doubt the best deep ball passer in my lifetime and completing 72% as well! Not to mention 4.3 speed!
I have to agree; I would love to see TR win it but RGIII has been a phenom. This has been one of the most talent rich group of finalists and there were 3 or 4 more that could have been included as well.

I'm no fan of the Honey Badger, he's a hot dog and I hate show-offs. BUT, he is one of the best ball hawks I have ever seen. He may be a little caught up in himself, it appears that way from the outside. I have to give him props for being a very talented ball player.

Matthew6

Banned thug
Good ball player. Inviting a dopehead and a player who got suspended is a joke and lowers the prestige of the Heisman trophy.

LanierSpots

I believe Bama going to the BCS will assure Trent of winning it.

I can see him being the third straight heisman for the state of Alabama and the SEC.

I would probably vote RG3 but it would be close. IF Trent had of showed his stuff against LSU, they could have handed it to him then.

We will see. The heisman usually goes to a guy on one of the best teams. Richardson has that going for him..