Might be getting our April showers Now!!

brofoster

Forecast is for another year of dry heat in our area. Last year was pretting hard on my spring and summer plots. I don't think that I am going to wait around this year. By the second weekend in March I plan on getting my plots done. Hopefully we will out of the woods then. What are the planting dates for the rest of you?

Calvin

hunter_58

good idea! we will plow as early as possible to hopefully bank a little moisture, and then take a chance and plant early. but we also have some dry, hot weather plantings. i believe a dry hot,July, Aug, Sept, can be very stressful on growing deer and antlers

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
might be getting our april showers now

Bro Foster, I think I will wait and plant grain sorghum about the latter part of June. It's supposed to be more drought tolerant than most things. Might even plant some tropical corn about the same time. Good luck on yours.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I wouldn't wait that long on the corn tetgunner. We put ours in the first of June last year. It was going good until the middle of July when it got real dry down there. We got poor ear production. The sorghum did great though.

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
I agree on the corn, but I have heard that tropical corn will do a lot better in dry weather. Never tried it though.

brofoster

Be careful on the tropical corn gents. I know two that planted it last year and could get nothing to eat it.