More 360 Buckhammer stuff

earlthegoat2

I know it’s not everyone’s thing but I am excited about it. Love the 35 Remington but ammo is scarce and this is pretty much the same thing in straight wall form and ammo is becoming available and should be for a few years even if it flops.

I was perusing an LGS and came across a 360 Buckhammer Henry lever gun.

I really didn’t want the X model but the price was $100 less than the lowest I had seen online and who knows if I’ll see another before hunting season so I got it.

I told a few folks here I would buy the first one I saw and even though I really meant the first wood stocked one I saw, I just couldn’t resist.

I already have a box of ammo with 4 more boxes on the way thanks to a GrabaGun deal last week I had posted about.

This is going to get one of the blemish Leupold Freedom 2-7x33 scopes that I bought from Midway a bit back. I got 2 and one was slated for a 360 BH rifle was going to buy in the near future and here it is. Going to get some Talley low rings I think or whatever will work with the hammer spur.

This is my first Henry and my first impressions are:

Larger loop lever of the X model is nice. Not too big like a John Wayne 1892. Good for gloves and it just feels better than the squared Marlins and looks a bit better than the big loop Marlins.

Large sized and fiber optic open sights.

Threaded barrel of the X model is nice as well.

Slim forend. Most Marlins have too fat of forends. Especially the more recent ones. They should all have forends like the CB models.

Dislikes:

Plastic open sights

The stocks are plastic of course as well but they are straight hard and somewhat slippery plastic as well. We have come a long way in plastics engineering and it feels like some rubber inserts or some better polymer formulation is in order. Maybe that is asking a lot.

Butt “pad” is HARD rubber. This is what they should have made the stock and forend out of. :ROFLMAO: It is a bit grippy but still hard enough to have structural integrity. This cartridge shouldn’t be too punishing on the shoulder at least.

Here is a pic. It looks pretty boring. :cool:

IMG_3151.jpeg

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
I'm definitely a Marlin guy but I love that tubular magazine on the Henry.

hunter 85

My personal opinion is the 360 will fall on its face and Remington missed the mark. Being that is is a rimmed cartridge that now limits people to only single shots or lever guns. Ballisticly it does nothing 35 rem doesn’t do and the small niche group that has to have a straight wall 444 marlin pushes a bigger bullet at the same speeds, so lighter recoil is all one is going to gain.

earlthegoat2

My personal opinion is the 360 will fall on its face and Remington missed the mark. Being that is is a rimmed cartridge that now limits people to only single shots or lever guns. Ballisticly it does nothing 35 rem doesn’t do and the small niche group that has to have a straight wall 444 marlin pushes a bigger bullet at the same speeds, so lighter recoil is all one is going to gain.

I do hunt in a straight wall state as well so I am part of the small niche who has a statuary use for it and that is a big reason I was interested.

Many don’t realize that a few of the straight wall states have case length maximums and the state I hunt, that length maximum is 1.8”. That means, no 444 Marlin, 45-70, 450 Marlin, etc.

Basically, that means 460 S&W Mag or 45 Raptor (or 500 S&W Mag) are your most powerful and likely longest range options.

Amongst lever gun cartridges, 460 and 500 are only chambered in the highly expensive Big Horn Armory Model 90. The new wave of straight wall cartridges developed in the last few years (350 Legend, 400 Legend, etc.) we’re both developed to take advantage of these statutes as well as make use of the emerging AR rifles for hunting market.

The older straight wall AR cartridges, 450 Bushmaster and 50 Beowulf also apply but they were earlier to the party than the legalization of these cartridges by a few states in more recent times.

Getting back to lever actions, the most popular options include 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt, and to a lesser extent 41 Magnum. There are a select few 357 Maximum lever actions out there as well but they are an extreme outlier.

With the 360, a more high intensity (50,000 psi) straight wall cartridge is now available for lever actions in those certain areas. It maximizes the case length, at 1.8”, uses actual rifle bullets, .358 diameter that most likely are interchangeable with 35 Remington, and gives folks about 75 more reliable yards over a 44 Magnum.

hunter 85

It makes sense and am in no way knocking the cartridge, nor did I know that there was a state that limited length as the only state I ever hunted in that was straight wall was Ohio and it is just 357 or larger and straight case. I just feel you should buy as much ammo as you can and brass if you reload as I can see it going on the way of the wsm/wssm cartridges as it will be out there but a real bugger to find. I believe Remington should have went with a Semi rim like the 35 rem that could still feed from a box mag it still would be hard to get to feed in a semi auto, but could make work in a bolt gun that as a hunting cartridge is by far number one choice of hunters.

earlthegoat2

It makes sense and am in no way knocking the cartridge, nor did I know that there was a state that limited length as the only state I ever hunted in that was straight wall was Ohio and it is just 357 or larger and straight case. I just feel you should buy as much ammo as you can and brass if you reload as I can see it going on the way of the wsm/wssm cartridges as it will be out there but a real bugger to find. I believe Remington should have went with a Semi rim like the 35 rem that could still feed from a box mag it still would be hard to get to feed in a semi auto, but could make work in a bolt gun that as a hunting cartridge is by far number one choice of hunters.

I was planning on buying a lot of ammo. I too am in doubt as to whether it will last. I have 100 rounds and will buy 100 more and call that good I think.

I have 300 rounds of 30 Remington AR I bought for $4/box on close out years ago. Just need the rifle now. Haha.

It really is just a new lever gun cartridge. That may or may not be a good selling factor. I know in MI, where I hunt, many folks would love a 450 Bushmaster type cartridge in a lever action rifle. Their only options are 460 mag in a Bighorn Armory rifle or a 454 Casull also in a Bighorn but also in uncommon to find and marginally quite expensive Rossi rifles.

I find it interesting because it is the first lever gun cartridge to be a 1.8” case length and commonly available in an affordable rifle. Maybe Marlin/Ruger will chamber a 336 in it for a year or two. I would rather have that rifle honestly.

Maybe in the future one of the manufacturers will use the 44 Mad Max concept in one of their lever guns. That is a 44 cal bullet in essentially a 444 Marlin cut down to 1.8”. They can be custom chambered in 336 rifles easily enough as it has already been done a few times. Once again though, it would just be for lever actions and single shots in those straight wall areas.

Big7

The Oracle
I was planning on buying a lot of ammo. I too am in doubt as to whether it will last. I have 100 rounds and will buy 100 more and call that good I think.

I have 300 rounds of 30 Remington AR I bought for $4/box on close out years ago. Just need the rifle now. Haha.

It really is just a new lever gun cartridge. That may or may not be a good selling factor. I know in MI, where I hunt, many folks would love a 450 Bushmaster type cartridge in a lever action rifle. Their only options are 460 mag in a Bighorn Armory rifle or a 454 Casull also in a Bighorn but also in uncommon to find and marginally quite expensive Rossi rifles.

I find it interesting because it is the first lever gun cartridge to be a 1.8” case length and commonly available in an affordable rifle. Maybe Marlin/Ruger will chamber a 336 in it for a year or two. I would rather have that rifle honestly.

Maybe in the future one of the manufacturers will use the 44 Mad Max concept in one of their lever guns. That is a 44 cal bullet in essentially a 444 Marlin cut down to 1.8”. They can be custom chambered in 336 rifles easily enough as it has already been done a few times. Once again though, it would just be for lever actions and single shots in those straight wall areas.
That 30 AR is an awesome cartridge on paper.
A 30 cal going 2800fps is getting on up there.

To bad Remington BLUNDERED yet another roll-out of a great cartridge. Dies are easy enough to make but you cant find brass at all.

Dub

I do hunt in a straight wall state as well so I am part of the small niche who has a statuary use for it and that is a big reason I was interested.

Many don’t realize that a few of the straight wall states have case length maximums and the state I hunt, that length maximum is 1.8”. That means, no 444 Marlin, 45-70, 450 Marlin, etc.

Basically, that means 460 S&W Mag or 45 Raptor (or 500 S&W Mag) are your most powerful and likely longest range options.

Amongst lever gun cartridges, 460 and 500 are only chambered in the highly expensive Big Horn Armory Model 90. The new wave of straight wall cartridges developed in the last few years (350 Legend, 400 Legend, etc.) we’re both developed to take advantage of these statutes as well as make use of the emerging AR rifles for hunting market.

The older straight wall AR cartridges, 450 Bushmaster and 50 Beowulf also apply but they were earlier to the party than the legalization of these cartridges by a few states in more recent times.

Getting back to lever actions, the most popular options include 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt, and to a lesser extent 41 Magnum. There are a select few 357 Maximum lever actions out there as well but they are an extreme outlier.

With the 360, a more high intensity (50,000 psi) straight wall cartridge is now available for lever actions in those certain areas. It maximizes the case length, at 1.8”, uses actual rifle bullets, .358 diameter that most likely are interchangeable with 35 Remington, and gives folks about 75 more reliable yards over a 44 Magnum.

I had no idea there were states with such tight restrictions.

I suppose I'd also be grateful for any new round that fell within the narrow margin of legal.

earlthegoat2

Scope mounted. Just need to zero it should be ready for a deer in a few months.

IMG_3159.jpeg

For those curious these are the Talley low mounts. They clear the hammer OK but I’m still going to put a spur on for a sure grip.

I unfortunately had to remove the rear sight to clear the objective bell even though it is only 33mm objective. Medium rings would likely have cleared it as it barely touched with these low rings.

The scope is the perfect height for me to not have to crinkle up my neck to sight through it.

weagle

That looks like a fun rifle.

I'll probably buy a Buckhammer when it is available in a Single shot. Probably the Henry or CVA scout.

Not worried about ammo availability since it can be formed easily from 30-30 brass and uses standard .358 bullets.

Also since Remington is loading it with the 200 gr RNCL, hopefully those will be available again as component bullets for use in my other .35 cal stuff.

Jim Boyd

Straight wall cartridges are not to be scoffed at.

This was my 350 L this past weekend at 100 yards - and it is a cheap Savage with a low cost Vortex.

It can be well below MOA if I do my part.

Heck, I have seen a great many jokers that cannot make a group like that with their regular deer guns.

It is slow and you are likely not gonna shoot past 200 yards but I don’t shoot 200 yards with my higher speed guns. Have not in years.

Good luck to all the straight wallers out there!!

IMG_3527.jpeg

rosewood

I'm definitely a Marlin guy but I love that tubular magazine on the Henry.
They copied the puma .454 model 92. Tube load and load gate. Bought mine back in about 2004. They carry the rossi name now. Best design ever.

Rosewood

rosewood

I'm surprised CVA hasn't jumped on the Buckhammer wagon with their single shot. A 20" stainless takedown would get my money.
I want a 357 mag....

Big7

The Oracle
They copied the puma .454 model 92. Tube load and load gate. Bought mine back in about 2004. They carry the rossi name now. Best design ever.

Rosewood
If Taurus keeps acquiring gun makers they will be as big as Ruger soon.

Suits me fine. I love all my Taurus firearms. Had trouble with one Rough Rider and they replaced it with a new, unfired same model so if it don't give no trouble, I'll be happy.

All my Taurus semi- Auto pistols have functioned flawlessly and eat anything I feed them. Bought my first one over 20 years ago.

Franklin's had a carousel of about 6 Rossi lever guns out on the floor. One had a few bubbles in the powder coat on the receiver and the rest were fine. Picked one up and it shouldered good too. Just don't know if I need one or not.

Liberty

I’m in a for the straight walls also, not because they are straight wall, but because I can have a very light weight “30-30” in the 350 from an ar or serious power in a classic looking lever gun using readily available handgun components. We shot a 3/4 inch group at 50 tonight with a Burris red dot equipped at turned way down to make the aiming point small. The 35 caliber family is mighty fine for woods hunters. My 15 year old 100 lb niece flinches with a 30-30 lever gun, but can handle the gas system/ rubber butt pad equipped at just fine. For my tastes, that lever gun looks mighty fine Sir. I would buy a whole bunch of brass and ammo though. I think in a few years 350 legend will be 350 forgot about as most new cartridges are.