Muzzle loaded cannon laws GA

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
@GeorgiaBob might not be an attorney or a LEO but he probably has stayed in a Holiday Inn recently. He has about nailed this one down at post #19.

Now for safety's sake use only black powder or a replacement black powder. Never use modern smokeless powder. Research a safe charge for your gun and if you ever plan to fire a projectile insure it is rammed down in contact with the powder.

Happy shooting. Post video, Please.

obelix

I've had cannons before. My last one sadly was stolen from me by my babysitter. The one that was stolen was a replica of a us navy signal cannon that shot 1" ball bearings. Not the right windage so never was all that loud shooting projectiles. I always had more fun shooting news paper out of it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When I was a teenager, my neighbor down the road had one of the big two-wheel jobs with a bore exactly the size of a beer can. Beer cans full of pea gravel made quite a satisfying splat in the thicket across the river from his house.

dtala

When I was a teenager, my neighbor down the road had one of the big two-wheel jobs with a bore exactly the size of a beer can. Beer cans full of pea gravel made quite a satisfying splat in the thicket across the river from his house.

I have a friend that has one like that. He said he can hit a paper plate first shot with it at 100 yards. We were talking about bringing it to the club to kill a deer with it. My captain said it was illegal but could not point to any actual law against it. Black powder, muzzle loading and well above the legal minimum calibre. He finally said "they" didn't mean for us to shoot a deer with it. "they didn't mean" being his favorite when he was wrong....LOL

TL60

Just tell'm its a movie prop test. They will probably offer you tax credits :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a friend that has one like that. He said he can hit a paper plate first shot with it at 100 yards. We were talking about bringing it to the club to kill a deer with it. My captain said it was illegal but could not point to any actual law against it. Black powder, muzzle loading and well above the legal minimum calibre. He finally said "they" didn't mean for us to shoot a deer with it. "they didn't mean" being his favorite when he was wrong....LOL
Might mess up a little bit of meat....:bounce:

GregoryB.

Reminds me of when I was in Korea. We had a cannon we fired off every day with the powder bags. That thing was loud.

chase870

Possum Sox
The second shot is what gives away your location, just fire it once. This is the philosophy of my neighbor that shoots deer in his back yard with a .243. Nobody pays attention to one shot.
I predator hunt a lot and you are right they never really hear the first shot. If they do by the time they get up and go outside there is no way to really tell where it was at

pdsniper

I have a Cannon the Barrel is off a 40 mm Anti Aircraft gun the deal is if its muzzle loading and has a primitive ignition system such as a fuse or touch hole its legal I have had mine over 40 years and it has a 16 grove rifled barrel and It will shoot a 1 1/2 lb lead projectile over a mile and sounds like a stick of dynamite when it goes off its a hoot to shoot

obelix

The cannon definitely has things stirred up. I've shot it with bread only as wadding about 8 times since the beginning of the year. The first time was during the day and nearly got busted because someone saw the smoke in the woods behind my house, but by that time it had blown around enough they couldn't really tell where it was coming from.

From then on out I only shot it just after dark and it seems to have worked so far. On the neighborhood FB page there has been no less than 200 posts about it over the past few weeks. Some people are spitting fire, some think there is a pirate in the neighborhood. Quite a few hard core karens too.

I stoked the fire a bit and made up a flyer with a picture of a cannon (not my cannon), saying there would be a cannon shoot down at the neighborhood ball field on a particular sunday, then dropped a few of the flyers at random spots around the neighbhorhood. It really stoked the fire when someone posted a picture of the flyer on the FB page. The karen theory was the only neighbors who like the cannon fire got a copy. There were people posting those snapchat things that makes them look like a pirate and saying they want to see a cannon. Others were posting "BOOM!" gifs on the page, etc. The day of the "event" people were driving and walking around the neighborhood, you would have though it was halloween (without the masks). One of the lead karens just walked in a circle in her culdesac over an over for about 2 hours. It was absolute pandemonium that day. Everyone was on edge because they either wanted to catch the "mad cannoneer", or because they couldn't wait to finally see the cannon.

Some called the sheriff who according to the FB posts were told there wasn't anything they could do unless someone was shooting a projectile. Someone called the fire department via 911 one night, they came out and left about 4 minutes after they got the complainants house. The person who called pleaded for people to run out of their house, wave down the firetruck and complain. At first I thought when I saw the fire truck that I had given a neighbor a heart attack (it's that loud). People have posted videos of their 4-5 yr old children begging for it to stop because it scares them. Some people because of their pets. Others say, if they just "knew" what it was they would be ok (trap). Some say they didn't buy a house in a Beirut war zone and that it MUST stop. It has been the dominate topic on the neighborhood FB page for weeks now. Others still are going full 2A and saying it's just a 1 second boom, live with it, no big deal. Goes on and on, and on.

There are also a lot of theories floating around of exactly what it is, but no one really knows for sure (a cannon is the leading theory). Some people think it's a cannon, some people think it's construction noise from some where, some people think it's a firework of some kind. There is also other random noises not made by me (maybe regular gun fire somewhere), that people hear at all times during the evening and they think it's the same source. There is a theory that someone is moving around the neighborhood in different locations firing it because people seem to hear it coming from all different directions. They also post about where it's coming from, some think it's another neighborhood, some think it's my street. It's a huge mystery. They have not went to the next door app to appeal to other neighborhoods, and there are a whole slew of theories there as well, even one suggested it was someone burning bamboo, to skybooms or even tannerite. Now people from all neighborhoods around me swear it's shaking the photos off their walls and making them leap out of their chairs. They have made public calls on next door pleading for the "anonymous" cannon fire person to reveal themselves or else "we gotta do something to stop them" (what that is I don't know). They have started a neighborhood patrol around 7pm to try and catch the sound and locate the source.

Not sure how much farther I want to push my luck. The hardcore karens are having serious meltdowns right now and are on a razor's edge and are about to start going around the neighborhood with pitchforks and axes.

Last edited:

TL60

Absolutely awesome!! You sir are in a class all your own!
Keep up the good work!

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Never thought about owning a cannon! I could have my buddies over for a beer drankin and a cannon shootin! Don't go no manlier'nat!

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
The cannon definitely has things stirred up. I've shot it with bread only as wadding about 8 times since the beginning of the year. The first time was during the day and nearly got busted because someone saw the smoke in the woods behind my house, but by that time it had blown around enough they couldn't really tell where it was coming from.

From then on out I only shot it just after dark and it seems to have worked so far. On the neighborhood FB page there has been no less than 200 posts about it over the past few weeks. Some people are spitting fire, some think there is a pirate in the neighborhood. Quite a few hard core karens too.

I stoked the fire a bit and made up a flyer with a picture of a cannon (not my cannon), saying there would be a cannon shoot down at the neighborhood ball field on a particular sunday, then dropped a few of the flyers at random spots around the neighbhorhood. It really stoked the fire when someone posted a picture of the flyer on the FB page. The karen theory was the only neighbors who like the cannon fire got a copy. There were people posting those snapchat things that makes them look like a pirate and saying they want to see a cannon. Others were posting "BOOM!" gifs on the page, etc. The day of the "event" people were driving and walking around the neighborhood, you would have though it was halloween (without the masks). One of the lead karens just walked in a circle in her culdesac over an over for about 2 hours. It was absolute pandemonium that day. Everyone was on edge because they either wanted to catch the "mad cannoneer", or because they couldn't wait to finally see the cannon.

Some called the sheriff who according to the FB posts were told there wasn't anything they could do unless someone was shooting a projectile. Someone called the fire department via 911 one night, they came out and left about 4 minutes after they got the complainants house. The person who called pleaded for people to run out of their house, wave down the firetruck and complain. At first I thought when I saw the fire truck that I had given a neighbor a heart attack (it's that loud). People have posted videos of their 4-5 yr old children begging for it to stop because it scares them. Some people because of their pets. Others say, if they just "knew" what it was they would be ok (trap). Some say they didn't buy a house in a Beirut war zone and that it MUST stop. It has been the dominate topic on the neighborhood FB page for weeks now. Others still are going full 2A and saying it's just a 1 second boom, live with it, no big deal. Goes on and on, and on.

There are also a lot of theories floating around of exactly what it is, but no one really knows for sure (a cannon is the leading theory). Some people think it's a cannon, some people think it's construction noise from some where, some people think it's a firework of some kind. There is also other random noises not made by me (maybe regular gun fire somewhere), that people hear at all times during the evening and they think it's the same source. There is a theory that someone is moving around the neighborhood in different locations firing it because people seem to hear it coming from all different directions. They also post about where it's coming from, some think it's another neighborhood, some think it's my street. It's a huge mystery. They have not went to the next door app to appeal to other neighborhoods, and there are a whole slew of theories there as well, even one suggested it was someone burning bamboo, to skybooms or even tannerite. Now people from all neighborhoods around me swear it's shaking the photos off their walls and making them leap out of their chairs. They have made public calls on next door pleading for the "anonymous" cannon fire person to reveal themselves or else "we gotta do something to stop them" (what that is I don't know). They have started a neighborhood patrol around 7pm to try and catch the sound and locate the source.

Not sure how much farther I want to push my luck. The hardcore karens are having serious meltdowns right now and are on a razor's edge and are about to start going around the neighborhood with pitchforks and axes.
Nice! I built this one in 7th grade metals class on a lathe, band saw and drill press. Ain't no way you could get away with that in school now.

Stroker

Y'all done got me wanting one now. Got a few lbs of old black powder that needs shot. Got a few neighbor's but they done been broke in with tannerite.

pdsniper

When I first got my Cannon I was about 21 one new years in college park where I first lived everybody was firing off fire works so me and the neighbor kid rolled mine out of the basement and touched it off it echoed for miles my buddy said he heard it on headland dr in east point the whole area went silent and lots of people came out of there house saying what was that, they thought a gas main blew up and then about 10 pd cars showed up with their blue lights on we had already wheeled it back in the base and were sitting in the living room laughing are butts off, pd rode around about 15 minutes trying to figure out where the explosion came from

Last edited by a moderator:

obelix

pdsniper, it definitely gathers attention. It's got my karen's panties all wadded up in a concrete bunch at the moment. I gotta let them simmer down a bit before I really do start seeing axes and pitch forks. The did threaten in public that the "anonymous cannoneer" must stop or we will "do something". What that something is, I don't know, but it can't be good.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

Serious Hat Tip...Serious.:bounce:

I would like to have a cannon, but the problem is no one within 10 miles of me would give a crap. We ain't got no Karens 'round here.

Keep driving them nutz!!! Funniest thing I've read lately with all the political/Covid crapola!

I know nothing of cannons, other than an ol buddy that had one...His recipe was 4oz of black powder, wrapped into a ball of foil, fit his muzzle perfectly. He rammed it in, and then crammed a damp wash cloth in on top of the powder charge.

He'd pick the hole, shove in a bit of fuse, and light it.

That thing went BOOM for real....

Last edited:

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I'd lay low for a few weeks and then light it up.

Save your powder cans and put them in a Karen's recycle bin(leaving one on the ground for walkers to see).

False flag her and let her feel the neighbor's wrath.