My best friend is gone and I am now lost...

BlackKnight755

On April 10th, 2022 my life long and best friend Kelly Adam Chaney passed away suddenly from an apparent heart attack while unhooking his semi trailer. It was a shock to us all as Kelly had no previous heart conditions and was a mostly healthy 58 year old man.

Kelly and I have been friends since 1970 and he was literally like my brother. We were together almost every weekend fishing. He and I would spend countless hours talking on the phone every day. We are both truck drivers and had so much time that we were just driving, we would talk so much... our handsfree devices would have to be swapped over to our backup devices to continue our conversations.

We did everything together. We fished so much together and fished so much alike that when we would be fishing, many times I would be fishing one specific bait and see a good spot for another type of bait, I would put one down and pick up the other reel and look back and Kelly would have the same one that I had switched to. We would both laugh and say "Man we think too much alike"!

I can't tell you how many times We would be calling each other at the same time and each of our phones would go to each others voice mails. We could be thousands of miles apart and make those simultaneous calls.

There are thousands of stories, and tens of thousands of fishing pictures... and now I am lost without my brother from another mother. I have had a very hard time dealing with his death and being left with such an empty feeling. These few words that I have typed tonight is only a scratch of the surface of the times that we have had throughout life. I thank god for the memories that I have and all the pictures and videos to keep him in my memory.

Please whisper a little for me as well as his family. They have had a very bad last year. We lost his Brother, Kelly's wife 2 weeks after his brothers passing, Kelly, His first cousin was lost to cancer, his uncle and Kelly's mother who was like a mother to me. 6 people in that family in an 8 month span.

ScLowCountry

I lost my best friend and hunting buddy last December. He was 60 and I was 29. He was like my second father. He passed while hunting our favorite wma.

It's heck man,. I can't hunt without thinking about him. All I can say is keep it up. Keep fishing the same spots in his honor. He would want you to. It's just awful. You will miss them every time you do anything outdoors or trucking.

Sorry for your loss. Don't forget about them, don't move on, but make them proud.

That's how I have delt with it. Don't stop doing what y'all loved cause it makes you sad. He wouldn't want it that way

bilgerat

Senior
Prayers sent for all who knew him , its tough loosing your best friend of many years . My best friend , fishing and hunting buddy. passed 11 years ago and I still miss him every day , I pretty much quit fishing since and hunt alone most of the time now I still love the outdoors. but It just isn’t the same .

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
On April 10th, 2022 my life long and best friend Kelly Adam Chaney passed away suddenly from an apparent heart attack while unhooking his semi trailer. It was a shock to us all as Kelly had no previous heart conditions and was a mostly healthy 58 year old man.

Kelly and I have been friends since 1970 and he was literally like my brother. We were together almost every weekend fishing. He and I would spend countless hours talking on the phone every day. We are both truck drivers and had so much time that we were just driving, we would talk so much... our handsfree devices would have to be swapped over to our backup devices to continue our conversations.

We did everything together. We fished so much together and fished so much alike that when we would be fishing, many times I would be fishing one specific bait and see a good spot for another type of bait, I would put one down and pick up the other reel and look back and Kelly would have the same one that I had switched to. We would both laugh and say "Man we think too much alike"!

I can't tell you how many times We would be calling each other at the same time and each of our phones would go to each others voice mails. We could be thousands of miles apart and make those simultaneous calls.

There are thousands of stories, and tens of thousands of fishing pictures... and now I am lost without my brother from another mother. I have had a very hard time dealing with his death and being left with such an empty feeling. These few words that I have typed tonight is only a scratch of the surface of the times that we have had throughout life. I thank god for the memories that I have and all the pictures and videos to keep him in my memory.

Please whisper a little for me as well as his family. They have had a very bad last year. We lost his Brother, Kelly's wife 2 weeks after his brothers passing, Kelly, His first cousin was lost to cancer, his uncle and Kelly's mother who was like a mother to me. 6 people in that family in an 8 month span.
So very sad. My prayers are added.

BlackKnight755

Thank you each and every one that took time to respond. It won't ever be the same without him. We were and still devastated by the loss of Kelly and all of his other family members. I almost dread this upcoming spring fishing season. Thank you once again and continued prayers are much appreciated.

hawkeye123

Prayers sent..know what you are going through..just gotta keep on keeping on..I'm a trucking dispatcher, love my drivers! I lost my brother & best friend 7 yrs ago..hunt w/ his shotgun..maybe use a rod of his maybe some tackle, he would want you too ! Sounds like a great friend!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Prayers from here also ! I say for sure don’t give up what y’all loved to do together

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thank you each and every one that took time to respond. It won't ever be the same without him. We were and still devastated by the loss of Kelly and all of his other family members. I almost dread this upcoming spring fishing season. Thank you once again and continued prayers are much appreciated.
Prayers are still coming. I can picture you both on the other ends, grinding gears and passing the miles like y’all were sitting next to each other! I’m so sorry for your losses.