My first buck on opening morning 30 years ago

Arrow3

Opening day of rifle season has always been nostalgic for me as it is for a lot of you. My 1st opening morning came when I was 9 years old. Daddy had surprised me (and mama ?) with a Winchester 243 youth model. I was originally gonna hunt with buckshot out of a 20 gauge.

It took me to my 3rd season before I killed my 1st deer, a spike all by myself. My dad never sat with me. Even at 9 he would put me in my own stand and then come back to get me later.

My 1st opening morning buck came the next year when I was 13 years old. All summer I had aggravated my dad about getting me a climbing stand. He had 2 baker climbers and I wanted to use one too. One of his was a bear hug the tree type and the other had a homemade top piece . He told me to practice with the 2 piece so I wore a pine tree out in our yard learning how to use it. There were no safety harnesses or life lines . Just always had to make sure the two pieces were connected together so the bottom couldn't fall.

The Friday before opening morning we scouted a pine thicket on the edge of some big white oaks . We found Lots of scrapes and rubs and daddy showed me which tree he thought I should climb. We went back to the truck and went ahead and hung the climber and marked me a trail with flagging tape on the way back out so I could find it the next morning.

Opening morning brought COLD temperatures. I remember it being in the 30s. I found my climber with no problem and climbed up the tree.

I remember just feeling more like a deer hunter being up in a climber for the first time. Daylight came and I started getting cold even though I was dressed pretty good. About 8 o'clock my legs and feet were freezing . I was sitting on the bottom platform swinging my legs back and forth trying to get some warmth to my feet. As my legs were going back and forth I glanced down to see a deer standing only about 30 yards from me. I immediately saw it was a buck and I went all to pieces.

I got my scope on him and shot!

The buck just started walking like nothing happened. I was shooting that bolt action like an automatic ???.

I knew I shouldn't climb down because my dad had told me to stay till he came and got me. After about 10 minutes I couldn't take it anymore and I climbed down and went looking for my dad. He was all the way across our 110 acre lease. After walking a ways and hollering for him he answered back.

I wasn't sure if he was gonna be mad at me for ruining his opening morning or happy I had shot a buck. Thankfully he wasn't mad and we went looking for my buck. I showed him where the deer was standing and he found blood immediately. The trail was spotty at best but after about 100 yards there laid my 5 pointer !!

Definitely a morning I'll never forget... Not only do I have a Polaroid of the morning but I've still got the rack some 30 years later.... ❤
FB_IMG_1571447198759.jpgFB_IMG_1571447193972.jpg

buckpasser

Great story telling skills on display. I could about feel that cold again like I did as a kid. That skinny frame didn’t take it as good as my new “husky” model does.

six

Nice, I enjoyed that memory. Thanks for sharing. Nothing like memories, and objects from those memories that you can hold and touch. Adds something special to it.

I still have a turkey feather from my first turkey. It is under the butt plate on the gun I Used to kill it over 50 years ago. And I find myself from time to time taking that butt plate off so I can see and hold that memory. Even get a little teary eyed occasionally.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I just said it to you on Facebook too, but yeah I'm jealous. I can't think of many if anything I'm jealous of in life, but this childhood memory is one of em for sure.

My childhood didn't give me these kind of experiences and I hate that.

What I don't hate is that you have the memories, pics, experience and antlers for life.

Good luck tomorrow B. Keep after them man

Arrow3

I just said it to you on Facebook too, but yeah I'm jealous. I can't think of many if anything I'm jealous of in life, but this childhood memory is one of em for sure.

My childhood didn't give me these kind of experiences and I hate that.

What I don't hate is that you have the memories, pics, experience and antlers for life.

Good luck tomorrow B. Keep after them man
Thank you my friend. Looking forward to your trip coming up.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
I have been hunting since I was 13 (45 now) and I have NEVER killed a buck on opening weekend of gun season!
Killed a lot on the Monday after but never opening weekend!

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I have been hunting since I was 13 (45 now) and I have NEVER killed a buck on opening weekend of gun season!
Killed a lot on the Monday after but never opening weekend!
MeeTOO Except once I hunted with my bow on opening of rifle one year. A tiny tiny eight come under me at the crack of dawn. I wasn’t picky that day just going for the milestone. To this day its still the smallest typical eight on the planet. I love it.? Even my wife remembers that buck as I was home by 8 o’clock in the morning taking pictures and cooking tenderloin and coffee when she woke up.
Don’t have the pictures anymore but the rack is a truetrophy.
About the size of a grapefruit or less.?

bubbafowler

Great story and memory , it’s amazing how we hunted 30 years ago , I can remember also hunting by myself at a very young age 9 or 10 , and using some climbing stands we’d laugh at now , thanks for sharing !
Brings back memories for sure! I remember just hunting on the ground with my dad. He still does that allot. But my stepdad at the time. We built 20ft tall ladder stands from scrap lumber from construction job dumpsters. Then he'd buy a cheap recliner at a yard sale and hoist it up. Then build a makeshift roof. I had to learn to be strong early helping with that stuff!

RipperIII

thanks for sharing that great story!

my Dad was a stone cold city slicker so i never saw or did anything with him outside the city limits.
truth be told, other than being a boy scout,...i never did any hunting, fishing and only a little camping until i was 49years of age...10 years ago.

your story represents a beautiful tradition that seems to be fading away

Sixes

First deer that I ever killed was on Allatoona WMA, even got my picture in the paper, only problem was that me and my buddy had laid out of school that day to go hunting

DSGB

I was wearing coveralls just like that when I killed my first deer.

Started using a climber when I was 12. Prior to that, they'd put me in a wooden ladder stand and I had to stay put until someone came and got me.

Arrow3

I was wearing coveralls just like that when I killed my first deer.

Started using a climber when I was 12. Prior to that, they'd put me in a wooden ladder stand and I had to stay put until someone came and got me.
Yep , sounds familiar

specialk

i never sat with anyone else either as a young'en......dad was close by.....my son sat with me a lot before i let him go alone.....