My new addiction....

hevishot

Banned
I have caught most of the salt water fish on the East coast on flies but this was my first time fishing the Bahamas. I caught snapper, cudas, skip jacks, and several cero and Spanish macks on the fly....this particular shark was chummed up using cut skipjacks up under lights. I finally him to eat the biggest fly in my box...a big clouser..he almost spooled me 5 or 6 times.....but the Bones are the bomb! Caught a couple on spinning gear but most on the fly.....biggest of the trip was 5-6 pounds but did battle with some bigger ones. They are relentless with barbless hooks if they get the slightest bit of slack....caught a few bugs too. Good times.

Attachments

• bone.jpg
    bone.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 230
  • CIMG3117[1].jpg
    CIMG3117[1].jpg
    120 KB · Views: 202
  • CIMG3144[1].jpg
    CIMG3144[1].jpg
    71 KB · Views: 197
  • CIMG3106[1].jpg
    CIMG3106[1].jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 208

WinMag.300

Great report!

Bones are fantastic!

Dude, I'm envious! What line weight rod were you using and what type of reel if you don't mind my asking?

hevishot

Banned
Dude, I'm envious! What line weight rod were you using and what type of reel if you don't mind my asking?

inexpensive 8wt Redington crosswater combo that did exellent....wt forward bone fish mastery line with 150 yrds of backing...12 Lb leader with 10 lb tippet...Bull shark was caught on same setup with a 15 lb leader (heaviest I had) and 5 feet of 26 pound tieable wire...caught another bull shark a little bigger than this one on spinning gear. PM me if you want to know where to go. Not too expensive and a "do it youself" friendly place...you dony need a guide although it was fun going to remote flats with easier fish.

Last edited:

KINGFISHER

Hevishot, did you use the same guide we had talked about a few months back? Congrats on an awesome trip!

hevishot

Banned
Hevishot, did you use the same guide we had talked about a few months back? Congrats on an awesome trip!

yep! He is a GREAT guy and I look forward to fishing with him again...the "do it yourself" spots he turned me on to were full of fish and he was a pleasure for the wife and me to spend the day with. Thanks!