My niece's first bird!

4x4

The first turkey hunt I took Erica on, she was 13 years old. Her schooling, and extracurricular activities prevented us from getting in the woods as much as her and I would like. We would typically get to go once, maybe twice a season. This went on for 7 years.
Now, Erica is 21 and actually lives with my wife and I in Oglethorpe County. We acquired a new property that we were told had turkeys. Little did we know at that time, this property is overran with turkeys! We scouted the land together Thursday afternoon. Friday morning I went to listen before work. I herd 3 birds.
Saturday morning we hunted. Herd 5 different gobblers. We would chase them, and they chased us. I would call lightly, one would gobble so we stayed still and waited. An hour passes, no more gobbles. We moved to where we last herd a bird. I made some light yelps, and he gobbled from where we just came from!
Sunday morning we got on a few gobbling before 7am. We setup in come cleared pines and I made a few light calls. He fired off 100 yds in front of us, then one fires off to our left! The one to the left headed straight to the other gobbler. A few mins pass by, and I made some light purrs from my woodsong box call. Next time he gobbled he had cut his distance in half. I looked at Erica and said "get ready, this bird is willing to die this morning."
We watched this gobbler strut all the way to us. She rolled him less than 20 yds away. Her first wild FB_IMG_1586182169193.jpgIMG_20200405_125220_541.jpg19158.jpegSnapchat-1048694023.jpgturkey and he was a HOSS! Needless to say, I'm one proud uncle and she has permagrin for the next few days to come.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Congrats Unc and Erica. Good memories made with family. They are always the best.

Reactions: 4x4

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Sweet!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
That’s awesome , congrats to u both !!!

mike1225

That's an Awesome Gobbler!

wvdawg

Staff member
Mighty fine job! Congrats to you both!

six

Very nice. Well played! Congrats to you both.