My Rabun County trout fishing trip. Overcoming a bad fishing partner and having fun

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
It’s hard to believe this summer will soon be over and with August upon us it will be singing its final verses. If you’re like me, there were things you intended to do during these months of long daylight that remain on the to do list. Lots of work on my hunting land is patiently waiting on me. And I can’t feel the approaching deer season in the air yet but my eyes are turning in that direction with anticipation. We are here to talk about fishing though and this is a rambling about my trout fishing trip to the mountains in Rabun County last weekend.

There are few things I enjoy more than that cold mountain water. And Rabun County is one of my favorite places. An earlier summer fishing trip to the mountains with friends from right here on GON turned into more of a just fun hanging around together trip. That’s not a complaint. I had a great time. But I try to make at least a couple of fishing trips to the mountains every summer and I was overdue. We’ve had a rough summer at my house. And I needed to break away and get in that cold water and catch some trout. But the fish themselves were almost an afterthought or icing on the cake. I probably should have known things were not exactly breaking my way when my buddy who I had planned the trip with sent me a text late on the afternoon the day before we were supposed to leave to tell me he was going to have to bow out at the last minute. Vehicle problems. I was disappointed but understood and told him we would plan another trip. I had also invited my cousin and my buddy’s last minute bow out actually solved a problem as far as how we were going to ride. I had been rear ended at a red light in Blue Ridge the weekend of the earlier trip that I mentioned and my truck was in the body shop. Like I said this hasn’t been my summer. Now it would be just two of us. My cousin arrived at my house a little late but he was driving so I didn’t gripe. Soon we were loaded up and on our way to the mountains. I was excited. It had been too long. And I think he was excited too. He’s a good bit different from me. Not a big outdoorsman. But does enjoy fishing. He said somewhere between Americus and Macon that he looked up Rabun County and saw that it gets more yearly rainfall than any County in Georgia. He said it in a somewhat baleful tone. I said that was right but it was going to be fun.DA5A2371-707E-468D-83EC-B2D46E4F1D54.jpeg

I chose a campground that another fishing buddy and I had used before outside of Clayton and sort of between Warwoman Creek and the West Fork of the Chatooga River. We got there after a four hour drive and had barely stretched gotten the truck unloaded when a little shower of rain came in. This seemed dampen my cousin’s spirits even more than the surrounding ground and plant life. I ignored that and thankfully we had gotten a quick shade canopy up first thing and stood under it waiting for the rain to stop. Once it had, we made camp and grabbed our fishing gear and headed for Warwoman. We went to spot suggested by someone here on the board. He hardly had the truck parked and I had bailed out and stepping on rocks along the creek bank and into the water. The cool of the creek was welcomed feeling. My cousin immediately hooked a tree on the opposite bank from his spot and fussed over it as I was making my first cast. He seemed determined to be put out by something but him and his messed up chi might as well have been in another time zone as I could feel an internal alignment taking place. The achievement of my true north if I’m being high brow and esoteric about it. Or to describe it as I would if I was sitting around a fire with you, all was right with the world now and I was where I wanted to be. That’s all for now. 6829BF70-681E-45CC-96DA-95E24D07F9F2.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
More, please. :) And you need to get your butt up here one weekend when it starts cooling down.

hawkeye123

Great writing..Can't wait to read the rest of it..just got in from up there..so crowded ..did you see the fat half beagle gal on Warwoman?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Great writing..Can't wait to read the rest of it..just got in from up there..so crowded ..did you see the fat half beagle gal on Warwoman?
?I guess I missed her but would love to hear more.

Head East

Another awesome post! Looks like a great spot. I can about hear the water gurgling bye. What a blessed day.

hawkeye123

?I guess I missed her but would love to hear more.
Last 2 times up there have seen a half beagle mix dog hanging around , she's quite chunky..campers feed her well, around the first bridge. Old boy up there this weekend says he took her to vet thought she was stray to get back to owners, her dog tags have a vet's name..vet laughed told him to take her back to creek .. I sure love it up there, just wish it wasn't so crowded..been going up there for 35 years bout the 1st time didn't catch a limit..sure beat this Middle Ga heat though!

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Last 2 times up there have seen a half beagle mix dog hanging around , she's quite chunky..campers feed her well, around the first bridge. Old boy up there this weekend says he took her to vet thought she was stray to get back to owners, her dog tags have a vet's name..vet laughed told him to take her back to creek .. I sure love it up there, just wish it wasn't so crowded..been going up there for 35 years bout the 1st time didn't catch a limit..sure beat this Middle Ga heat though!
Warwoman wasn’t crowded when we were there. The Chatooga was though. I’ll get to that later on.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Many a trip to West Fork in my college days. Beautiful country. Can’t wait to hear the rest brother.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
With cool water running by me and a feeling of being in the right place I made a few casts next to a decent sized rock under some over hanging laurel. Maybe the third cast I got a hit. I was grinning like a youngun on Christmas morning. I worked my way down past a little set of shoals and found some good looking holes. I stayed in that spot for a while with moderate success but I was in no hurry. There was plenty of daylight and I was having a ball. I don’t know what it is but there is something I can only get from these mountains, the ridges of Big Lazer Creek WMA and the hardwood bottoms along the Schley/Macon County border. It’s impossible to describe but if you’re taking the time to read this I know that I don’t have to describe it. You know what I’m talking about. These mountains and these rocks were here long before the follies of our current society where men seem to think themselves superior not only to all the generations before them but to the all the wonders of the Lord’s creations themselves. If you know me very much you know that I’m a Christian. Notice that I did not say religious. I attend church every Sunday and love my church family but I am not much on the ways of formalities and legalism that so many “church people” get consumed with. I’m a flawed man, something you definitely know about me if you have even had a few conversations with me and I’m thankful for the Lord’s grace because I need it. As I slowly wade the creek making casts and keeping an eye out for promising holes I think of the wonders of God’s creation and feel a closeness to him that is both comforting and awe inspiring. As Evan Felker sings of the Oklahoma hill country in the Turnpike Troubadours song The Bird Hunters, “How good does it feel? You belong in these hills. It’s good to be back in this place.” As I get another bite in a little pool what I feel more than anything is gratitude. People who live inside their telephones hanging on the words of social media celebrities, folks glued to their Netflix for something they think resembles real life or a life they wish they had, and those stuck in a rat race in some big city chasing a dollar don’t understand what they’re missing and it’s right here in this place and in places like it. Humans were not designed to spend their days sedentary in little offices and cubicles obeying silly HR edicts from people who are woefully out of touch with reality and what is important. We were not meant to be as separated from nature as so many are in current times. Nobody retires and moves to the big city. At least you never hear about it anyway. And people don’t go to major urban centers to relax and recharge. They get back to places like this. These redneck philosophical meanderings bring my cousin back to mind. He’s had some turmoil in his life over the last year. I invited him out here in hopes that he will feel some of what I was feeling. He needs it even if he isn’t quite aware of it and doesn’t know where to begin looking. I continue on. I’m not wearing them out but I’m not striking out either. I finally realize that I’ve gone a long way and I make my way back toward the truck. On the way back I take in the sites around me and snap a few pictures. It truly is good to be back in this place. That’s all for now.5E3F8924-AE2B-47E3-BB30-A250BDC09FB8.jpeg9F4C4B80-F8BD-47FA-80A8-877AD0535A04.jpegF3D41FB1-42E8-4FAD-A15D-A5F46A1FB782.jpeg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff!

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
*my favorite turnpike song hands down! That humpback must hold a special place on Felker's life. He mentions it in more than 1 song. Good writings man