My Rabun County trout fishing trip. Overcoming a bad fishing partner and having fun

TL60

Unfortunately not everyone sees the majesty of watching a sunrise sitting against a tree on a mountain hillside .... or the magic of hearing a waterfall on a trout stream before you are even close enough to see it..... I think I need to head north and recharge my sanity batteries now...

GTMODawg

BANNED
"A quote from Dances With Wolves cane to my mind, “If it were not for my companion I would be having the time of my life.” There is a reason I’m particular about who I hunt and fish with. "

Great story telling!

I can't agree more with the sentiment above. I reached a point about 25 years ago where I don't even try to find anyone to go hunting or fishing with. Its just too much. Many people simply expect too much out of life and refuse to be satisfied with the things they have or can control and not worry about the things they don't have or can't control. I would fish with my dad were he able to go and my wife and I fish some together but 95% of the time I am alone and that's how I like it.

I do have one friend who I will spend time outdoors with. He can tolerate me and I can tolerate him. We can spend 14 hours in a boat and not say 30 words to one another. Sometimes my boat, sometimes his. When we duck hunt together we take both dogs. They are just like us....they don't seem to notice another person or dog is in the blind LOL.

My wife worries about me being outdoors alone. I used to go offshore on the regular by myself and have crossed the gulf stream so many times alone I can't count them. It probably ain't safe but what's another person going to do, drown with me??? I have told her, my father, and my adult son, who all worry about me falling out of the boat and drowning or slipping on a rock and cracking my head open, that is something does happen to know that I was extremely happy right up to the last minute LOL.

Sharing time outdoors with people who are negative and bent on having a bad time is not something I am willing to do....life is too short and rain on a tent ain't all that bad.....

GTMODawg

BANNED
It's amazing how a thing so simple as attitude can make or break a day.

I have quit hunting and fishing with one of my dearest friends because he simply has a terrible attitude. It was fine when we were younger but at some point youve killed enough animals and caught enough fish to get to a point where doing more of it is way down the list of why you want to be outdoors. He is 60 and if he don't limit out it was a bad day! Not to mention its almost impossible to get out in public with him without nearly getting in a fist fight with someone (he is from Texas and Texans are like that....very thin skinned). It just ain't worth it. I will eat dinner with him and his wife, spend time on their deck or mine drinking and telling tales...but I always find a way out of going hunting or fishing with him because it just ain't worth it.

GTMODawg

BANNED
It's amazing how a thing so simple as attitude can make or break a day.

My father has told me since I was old enough to listen and understand that the difference between adventure and an ordeal is attitude! It would be an adventure for me to be in a tent with the rain coming down but an ordeal to be in Wal Mart buying groceries....and all because of attitude LOL.....

j_seph

Appreciate you taking us along on your journey. Also thanks for bring back the thoughts or feelings of neglect. When I read 4 hour drive first thing I thought was wow, and I am only an hour from there and do not go there nearly enough. However I have had some beautiful sits up there on Warwoman as the sun came up waiting on the rare whitetail deer.