Need $.02 on a pork butt!

Shorty6_9

when you buy a fully smoked butt from a fundraiser... if you're not planning to eat it for a couple days, do you take it home and shred it and throw it in the fridge,:swords: or do you take it home throw it in the fridge and the reheat it? if reheat at what temp and how long?

nkbigdog

I shred take out fat and mix with Q. Sauce put some in fridge rest in ziplock bags and freeze.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I would shred and freeze. Just my .02. It will be easier to shred now and easier to re-heat later. If you don't plan on eating it all at once, freeze in portions that you plan to eat. Once completly pulled down, it will be easy to re-heat in a slow cooker with a little apple juice.

Hornet22

ROMEO
Yep. What they said. Or just send it down to that pine tree where AS is waiting on the jerky, I'm sure he would do sompin wit it.:bounce:
:cheers:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I would shred and freeze. Just my .02. It will be easier to shred now and easier to re-heat later. If you don't plan on eating it all at once, freeze in portions that you plan to eat. Once completly pulled down, it will be easy to re-heat in a slow cooker with a little apple juice.

Okay, I'm gonna smoke some butts and loins on Saturday so we can eat them right after church on Sunday.
What should I do for them to still be moist and deeeeelicious?
-take them off smoker, pull meat, store in ziplock bags in refrig.
-take um out Sunday morning and put in slow cooker with..... apple juice??

I'm not familiar with the apple juice trick.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Okay, I'm gonna smoke some butts and loins on Saturday so we can eat them right after church on Sunday.
What should I do for them to still be moist and deeeeelicious?
-take them off smoker, pull meat, store in ziplock bags in refrig.
-take um out Sunday morning and put in slow cooker with..... apple juice??

I'm not familiar with the apple juice trick.

Yep.One or two days in the fridge in a ziplock won't hurt.Just cover the bottom of the slow cooker with a quarter inch of apple juice add meat and put on low heat. Stir it occasionally until it is all warmed up. Just my way to do it. Never have complaints.

Shorty6_9

i appreciate everyones $.02! someone was wanting me to do a smoked butt for them for christmas, and since i cant have it hot and ready christmas day, just wonder what was the best to do!

On a side note, if you have a rice cooker, it does alot better at keeping it moist vs. a crockpot! accident i stumbled onto with a friend and his concession business!

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to all!

Hornet22

ROMEO
i appreciate everyones $.02! someone was wanting me to do a smoked butt for them for christmas, and since i cant have it hot and ready christmas day, just wonder what was the best to do!

On a side note, if you have a rice cooker, it does alot better at keeping it moist vs. a crockpot! accident i stumbled onto with a friend and his concession business!

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to all!

Whoooooaaaaaa Nelly. Hold on. I got one of them things and have never used it. Please expou.......elabera.....splain what you do with the rice cooker and the meat.:cheers:

Shorty6_9

Whoooooaaaaaa Nelly. Hold on. I got one of them things and have never used it. Please expou.......elabera.....splain what you do with the rice cooker and the meat.:cheers:

just like you would in a crockpot, it locks in the moisture better than a crockpot. if it's warm throw it in on low mixed with your sauce or a little applejuice. High if it's cold, and it should turn itself to low after a little while or you may have to once it heats up.
We bought what we thought were some small crockpots when we unpacked them realized we had small rice cookers, they turned out to do really well in not drying the meat out so we kept using them.

huntsman

I put a couple up using a 'seal a meal' the other day after they cooled from the smoker and plan on dropping them in a pot of hot water to thaw and re-heat later. Never tried it before but hopeing they turn out okay.

blues brother

I put a couple up using a 'seal a meal' the other day after they cooled from the smoker and plan on dropping them in a pot of hot water to thaw and re-heat later. Never tried it before but hopeing they turn out okay.

Just keep the water at a low simmer and you will have Q that is just as good as the day you smoked it.

Don't let the water boil....:eek::hair::eek: Thats not good...it makes a real mess...don't ask how I know.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. When I smoke butts, I usually do several while the smoker is hot, can cook a bunch as easy as one. I pull all the meat, and vacuum seal the q in meal-sized batches without sauce and freeze it. Just thaw one out, heat it up, add sauce, and it's as good as it was hot off the smoker. Works great for hunting camp or those nights when you don't have time or inclination to cook. It doesn't seem to keep as good if you sauce it before you freeze it.

Cricket Chunker

Smoked 4 eight pound shoulders this past Monday night. Two for work, two for us. Kids were microwaving some of it earlier tonight. But the others are right, go ahead and pull it while it's fresh & hot. Bag and refrigerate or freeze to reheat smaller portions later.