If You Had Your Choice

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
That`s where I almost went in 1974. Had the info from the state, had the area all mapped out, was gonna find a place along the Chandalar River 150 miles or so above Fairbanks. And let my Mother talk me out of it.
That's back when Mother was smart. Glad you took her advice.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Nicodemus and Rooster, I had thought of going to Oregon after I got out of the Navy, a friend in the service told me about big tree logging and he had a real pretty cousin but I didn’t go. I thought a lot about going to Alaska and working on the fishing fleet and didn’t go there either. Dixieland and southern women won out.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nicodemus and Rooster, I had thought of going to Oregon after I got out of the Navy, a friend in the service told me about big tree logging and he had a real pretty cousin but I didn’t go. I thought a lot about going to Alaska and working on the fishing fleet and didn’t go there either. Dixieland and southern women won out.

At the time, and I had this in mind, was that you could homestead 160 acres. I wasn`t so much interested in the land so much as I was the hunting, trapping, and solitude. If I had though, I would have never met The Redhead.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
This is a good "thinkin' thread"...

I would head into the Okefenokee and re-inhabit an old island...

Or any ol Island on the Ga. coast.

Or somewhere on the Altamaha River ..

The good thing is, these favorite places are an hour or less away from home.

I can go get me a dose, and be home for supper.

Something to be said for living where you want to be.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
At the time, and I had this in mind, was that you could homestead 160 acres. I wasn`t so much interested in the land so much as I was the hunting, trapping, and solitude. If I had though, I would have never met The Redhead.
You chose wisely

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the coldest environment I've ever been in was in Yellowstone Montana, I rode snowmobiles in -14 degree weather, of course I was wearing a snowmobile suit, extreme cold weather boots, gloves, full face helmet, and the snowmobile had heated grips, and a shroud for your lower legs and feet , it was still cold! I wouldn't want to have to live in that cold, and Alaska as well as Montana can get much, much colder than -14 degrees !
I saw -28 here in the Smokies in 1985. It was horrible.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That`s where I almost went in 1974. Had the info from the state, had the area all mapped out, was gonna find a place along the Chandalar River 150 miles or so above Fairbanks. And let my Mother talk me out of it.
She was probably right. :)

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I used to watch a show called "Naked and afraid" It's folks goin out there nekkid and tryin to survive in the wild with a pot and a knife.
After watching that show I love humans inventions more than ever! Like bug spray, clothes, indoor plumbing, electricity, and modern hunting and fishing gear!!!!

Redbow

This is a good "thinkin' thread"...

I would head into the Okefenokee and re-inhabit an old island...

Or any ol Island on the Ga. coast.

Or somewhere on the Altamaha River ..

The good thing is, these favorite places are an hour or less away from home.

I can go get me a dose, and be home for supper.

Something to be said for living where you want to be.
Yes sir, stay close to home and have an adventure I was thinking the same way. And like you said be home for supper and a hot shower. We have the Croatan National Forest just behind where we live here on the NC coast. There are many areas in that forest that a man can have his solitude anytime he wishes. But you will need someone with you to pick the ticks off your body the ones you can't reach every day you stay out there.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I'll take that challenge. In Georgia or Alabama or North Florida.

Lilly001

In my younger days I would take that challenge.
And I did primitive camp for up to two weeks at times while hunting in the Fl swamps near Okeechobee.
But now I would over limit my pack load with just my medicines.
And I sometimes get winded walking the 1/2 mile to my most remote deer stand if I rush.
Unfortunately those days for me are past. But I still value my alone time in the woods.
Age sucks.

Redbow

In my younger days I would take that challenge.
And I did primitive camp for up to two weeks at times while hunting in the Fl swamps near Okeechobee.
But now I would over limit my pack load with just my medicines.
And I sometimes get winded walking the 1/2 mile to my most remote deer stand if I rush.
Unfortunately those days for me are past. But I still value my alone time in the woods.
Age sucks.
Same here with me, I wish I could walk a half mile now can't do it. Age does suck big time. Age is not the golden years everyone thinks it is, unless you are very lucky to be healthy when it comes.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’d stay right near my home during the fall and winter, plenty of game and a good spring nearby. I’d have to pick somewhere in Montana for summertime.

transfixer

I’d stay right near my home during the fall and winter, plenty of game and a good spring nearby. I’d have to pick somewhere in Montana for summertime.

I used to want to visit Montana during the summer, I've been multiple times during the winter, Jan/Feb usually, but I've got a couple friends that have gone in the summertime, and they've warned me that the skeeters and no seeums are ridiculous during the summer out there, at least in the places I would be wanting to go, not anywhere around the cities, because of all the snow melt, and standing water in ditches and such, the skeeters are bad

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I used to want to visit Montana during the summer, I've been multiple times during the winter, Jan/Feb usually, but I've got a couple friends that have gone in the summertime, and they've warned me that the skeeters and no seeums are ridiculous during the summer out there, at least in the places I would be wanting to go, not anywhere around the cities, because of all the snow melt, and standing water in ditches and such, the skeeters are bad
That would be a problem, I went in May and it was just cool enough for a light coat. Might have to change to early spring rather than summer. I’m sure you’d agree that the scenery there is truly spectacular.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes sir, stay close to home and have an adventure I was thinking the same way. And like you said be home for supper and a hot shower. We have the Croatan National Forest just behind where we live here on the NC coast. There are many areas in that forest that a man can have his solitude anytime he wishes. But you will need someone with you to pick the ticks off your body the ones you can't reach every day you stay out there.
My dad and uncle used to drive down there to bear hunt. And that was before interstate highways.

Big7

The Oracle
I might could do a month but longer than that is a hard NO!